Author Topic: Grill for a Pagoda W113 Mercedes  (Read 7928 times)

Cinciantiques

Grill for a Pagoda W113 Mercedes
« on: December 18, 2010, 23:20:34 »
hello,
I am an antiques dealer in Cincinnati and I recently picked up a NOS grill for what I believe to be a Pagoda series W113 platform Mercedes. Anyone have an idea what a fair asking price for these are? This one has NO road rash as it hung on a wall and never was installed. I have seen prices all over the place for these, but I am looking for a realistic price.

Thanks
Hope to hear from someone

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Grill for a Pagoda W113 Mercedes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 23:48:54 »
Hello Cincy,

That which you display consists of 4 separate and distinct parts:

Grill Surround
Star and Barrel
Left Wing
Right Wing

The Star/Barrel, new I believe is well over $1,000.
The Grill Surround is over $2,000 new, though uncertain if still available.
Left and right wings, last I heard, new, were in the $150 range but that could be far off.

All that being said, however, better take a good look at eBay and other places to see what they actually sell for.  I don't want to burst your bubble, but the photo you show does not at all resemble "New Old Stock" meaning a brand new, factory part, never used, from the era.  The photo shows what appears to be a used setup.

If it is indeed new old stock, best to clean it up, because it looks old and looks to me like there is a bend in it on the left side, lower.  You might do better selling it in pieces as well.  Not too many people are spending thousands of $$$ on these parts all together.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 23:51:21 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cinciantiques

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 00:48:47 »
Hello,

Thanks for the information, it was VERY helpful. It is actually new old stock, and the pictured I posted shows is the way that I found it. Everything in the garage was dirty, but the grill cleaned up very nicely.

There is a small dent in the one side as you mentioned, which was done when the previous owner wired the grill to a plastic grill from a flourescent light so that he could disply it on the wall !!??!!   he used wire from a hanger and when he tightened it, it caused a dent in the grill. There is absolutely nop road rash on this piece.

Thanks again for the info!

Regards,
Jeff

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:11:56 »
Geoff,

I sold one recently as a complete grill, I brought it new and it had been fitted on my car for three days but did not fit well so I took it off and repaired my old one and sold the then near new grill complete for just over $USD2000.  The star had a break in it that I did not know about so I brought a brand new star and barrel for the buyer for $800. Prices that Michael is quoting are probably for OEM from a MB dealer.

I therefor suggest the value of the grill complete given the slight ding is somewhere between $1800 and $2000 provided you can demonstrate that it is OEM and not a remanufactured one and there are some of those around and then if you can find a buyer.

Good luck
Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Cinciantiques

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:37:13 »
Hi gary,
Thank you for the reply. How can one tell the difference between a remnaufactured one and OEM?

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:55 »
Hi Jeff,

My understanding was that the metal gauge was thinner and I also believe that the chrome did not have the depth of the genuine grill. I am uncertain if they were marked with part number or other distinguishing marks but maybe someone on this forum has better knowledge.
I notice that there is none on Ebay at the moment and I also note that SLS quote on both original and repro.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Cinciantiques

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 12:18:53 »
Thanks Garry, I will look for the information. Have a nice Holiday

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 15:34:50 »
The fit of these is quite critical, and there will be nothing more critical that that of someone spending around $2,000 or so for the part(s).

Yes the prices I quoted were my recollection as new from a dealer or the classic center.

The damage significantly reduces the value, IMHO, regardless of where it came from.

The surround in particular, fits like a hand in glove.  I went through 4 of them before I found one that fit properly--and they were all OEM no repros.

When I called K&K years ago, Tim asked me if I wanted a surround that fits or doesn't?  Apparently none of the repros fit very well, though I never tried one.

All information to digest.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cinciantiques

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 16:10:39 »
Thank you for the reply. I had considered sellign seperate, but because of the damage, I am going to sell as one unit