W113 Pagoda SL Group > Body, interior, paint, chrome, and cosmetic items

Interior Mirror.

(1/2) > >>

tel76:
I need to separate the black interior mirror head from the chrome mounting arm so that i can have the arm re-chromed. 1968 280sl.
I have read conflicting info: on this subject, is it possible and if so what is the correct procedure?

stickandrudderman:
Find yourself a full chrome one from an earlier car; much nicer!!

waqas:

--- Quote from: stickandrudderman on November 18, 2010, 00:39:41 ---Find yourself a full chrome one from an earlier car; much nicer!!

--- End quote ---

Only if one is unconcerned about originality. I believe a 1968 280SL should have the black mirror, with the dull finish on the arm.

69280sl:
"Only if one is unconcerned about originality. I believe a 1968 280SL should have the black mirror, with the dull finish on the arm."
Waqas

Yes as Waqas says. I recently went through this. In my case the silvering of the mirror was showing its age. MB does not have the exact replacement mirror but they have a mirror, from a different model which uses the same head and a slightly different arm.

I took the head off the new and used it with my old arm. If you do this heat (gun) applied to the ball and socket will make removal and reassembly much easier.

Gus

tel76:
Hello Gus,
Thank you for the info: i used my heat gun and the mirror head came off quite easily.
As a matter of interest the finish on the removed arm is chrome not a dull finish and from all indications it has never been removed previously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version