W113 Pagoda SL Group > Body, interior, paint, chrome, and cosmetic items

Trailing arm screw installation

(1/2) > >>

IXLR8:
Hi--

I removed the trailing arms on my 230SL to replace the rubber bushings.

All is well.

Now, trying to reinstall the arms, I have spent about 9 hours getting the first three big screws replaced, and I have stripped the fourth one.

When the arm is not in the bracket on the axle, the screws twist in and out of the pivot pin easily and smoothly.

When I mate the trailing arm up to the bracket, I can't seem to get these screws lined up.

I have appropriately mated the trailing arms as Right and Left.

I have tried to get the pivot pin exactly centered in the axle bracket mounting holes.

Grease and/or oil on the threads seems to make no difference.

Is there a simple trick to get these screws into the pivot pin?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

jeffc280sl:
The trailing arm bushing is not quite centered on the cone that protrudes from the body.  I used a nylon strap come along to help move the axle in the perfect position.  You can buy this item at Home Depot and they are often used to strap items together on a roof rack.  It has a ratchet type mechanism to help create just the right amount on tension.  Secure one end around the rear axle and then hook the other end to heavy bracket that holds the tranny.   Gently ratchet up tension to move the axle in place.

Here is a pic

IXLR8:
Hi Jeff. 

I'm not that far yet.

I'm still trying to put the large screws into the pivot pins.

Thanks for the advice for when I get to the next step--good tip!

Joe

jeffc280sl:
Sorry, I read your note too fast.  You are at the other end of the arm where it mates with the axle.  Did you replace the rubber bushings?  I think the rubber bushings can be installed a little off center with the way the rubber rests against the trailing arm.   This may cock the the threaded shaft a little so its hard to thread the big bolts.  I would try to get one side started and then use a big pipe wrench to align the trailing arm and bolt.

ctaylor738:
I think I have an extra large screw.  PM me if you need one and I'll go look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version