Author Topic: convertable top spring removal  (Read 9519 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
convertable top spring removal
« on: October 31, 2010, 19:54:43 »
I want to remove my whole top begore I re-paint. I am not strong enough anymore for the spring removal on each side. Does anyone have any ideas that can help me with this? Do they make a spring removal tool for this. I wonder how they did it at the factory.  My sequence would be to mark the top brakets with tape, to keep the right orientation, and then remove the 2 springs, then the 2 bolts on each side holding the top brackets. My problem is the spring.
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
Re: convertable top spring removal
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 00:43:55 »
I replaced my springs a few years ago, and it was not much of a problem at all to do.  Get a piece of nylon braded cord, 1/8" thickness (like a window blind cord) about 6 feet long, loop cord around the spring end that attaches to body post, tie both ends of cord together, and put a piece of foot long pipe thru the cord, then stand back at the rear bumper and pull, using both hands on the pipe, the spring.  By standing back at bumper, you get really good body leverage, and can use your entire body to pull, not just your arms.  Once you clear the body post, move the spring a little to the left/right of the body post, and then let up on spring slowly to slackness., you can put on the same way, but will have to cut the cord off the spring once in place, because it will get lodged on the post.  Let me know how you do.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 12:53:17 »
I always remove my soft top every winter and use two screwdrivers and a 2"x2" wooden chock to remove the springs. The wood goes under the spring and presses on the bulkhead under the catch and needs to extend about half the length of the spring coils. The first screwdriver is then eased through the coils so the tip can leaver on the wood and extend the spring, a smaller screwdriver can then leaver the rear end off the spigot. It takes a few goes to get it right as the first screwdriver can pop out of the spring but when you've done it once it's quite straight forward. Replacement is much easier as you only need the slim screwdriver to leaver the rear end of the spring back over the spigot. Hope that makes sense as unfortunately I don't have any pictures and my car is away at the moment.

Good luck.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 14:15:06 »
I do exactly the same as David but also prop a length of 2 by 2 by 25" in the well such that when lowered the hood rear bow rests
against it so that the springs are under the least tension.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:20:01 »
i don't understand-I wish I could see a picture of the wood and screwdrivers
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

hauser

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:18:26 »
When I removed mine I simply used a pair of vise grips.  I locked them onto the straight part of the spring and removed it.  Getting it back on was not to easy.

Jim Donati

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:40:32 »
David & Gnuface:
What is the reason for removing the soft top every winter?

Sorry to show my ignorance  :P
Jim

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:27:21 »
I do not remove my softtop every winter as David does, I just used the same method to remove the springs.
I keep my softtop on all year and store the hard top.
I have some pictures of the spring removal procedure somewhere, just got to find them.............. :-[
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:02:41 »
Ok found the pictures, hope they help:-
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 22:35:05 »
thank you for the pictures!!!!
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

DavidBrough

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 13:25:36 »
Hi Jim,

Whilst I do enjoy driving with the top down I also like the car with the hardtop on so tend to use that for about 6 months of year which does involve the soft top being down for a long time. I found that this marked the canvas and curled the edges very badly which took a long time to rectify. I then read somewhere that back in the day UK MB dealers used to offer removal and winter storage facilities for customers soft tops so decided to try it for myself. The first time I removed the soft top it was a bit of a struggle but when I put it back after its winter hibernation in the spare bedroom it was much easier and looked great so I've done it ever since. It's now very easy to do and keeps the fabric and rear window in better condition so should last longer and look better. The wife isn't so happy about the lodger in the spare room though.

Jim Donati

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 20:14:23 »
David:
I suspected that might be the reason, but just wanted to make sure. 
Thanks for the explanation.

Jim

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 00:19:43 »
i couldn't get the rope trick to work, nor the wood trick
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 03:18:53 »
I studyied the picture-it was hard getting screwdriver through the spring-------------but it worked as the picture showed. it may be a nightmare when time comes to put them back on-thanks again for the pictures
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 08:54:48 »
Pleased you got it to work, if anything it is a bit easier getting them back on using the same method.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Witt

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 22:14:39 »
I didn't bother to replace the springs after I reinstalled my soft top. I also removed the two chrome "upside-down-L-shaped brackets. Neither are being missed and putting the top up or down is not affected, maybe easier.

CHEERS !
WITT !