Author Topic: 280SL runs like crap in city driving.  (Read 4309 times)

rad-man

280SL runs like crap in city driving.
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:20:33 »
This may be opening a can of worms, but I don't know where to start troubleshooting.

Within the last few months my situation has flipped:

i've went from being able to drive around the city without any problems / not able to drive on the freeway due to random stalling

to now being able to cruise on the freeway with no issues, but stall at pretty much all stops.

I've mastered the double foot driving technique: brake while revving at stop lights. (or shift to neutral and keep righ rpms).

the only thing i've played with is the adjuster screw at the back of the fuel injector pump.

I recall seeing a thread on DIY fuel injector adjustments, but I cant seem to find it again.

It was a really simple way to set the screw and back off a certain number of times... or maybe I've lost my marbles.

Anyway, could someone point me in the right direction or recommend someone in Houston for a tuneup?

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: 280SL runs like crap in city driving.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:01:41 »
Hello,

Check your spark plugs to see if one has  fouled. Make sure your ignition points are still gaped correctly.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:12:49 »
We city Pagoda owners (New York City for me) learn quickly that stop and go, short hauls can lead to fouling and rough driving.

The so called "Italian Tune Up" may help. I take the car to an expressway and run it as fast as safe for 5 miles or so...if fast speed is problem, I do the run one gear lower so the engine can rev at say 4,000 rpm or so to blow it all out.

Works like a charm.

Of course, there can be other problems that this may not cure and the car has to be able to run at least roughly on an expressway.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

dseretakis

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 13:39:37 »
I've mastered the same driving techniques as you have! I have the exact same issues. I would definitely do all the things already mentioned here. These cars seem to get their spark plugs fouled easily. Points that are worn or in need of adjustment will make the car run poorly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:33:44 by Peter van Es »

kbudd

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 01:44:05 »
I would also check the electric fuel pump and make sure it is working correctly.

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:10:03 »
You can also do the same thing in town by driving the car in second and letting rev freely for a while, can be a bit noisy though and not as much fun as the open road but it does the trick.

rad-man

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:05 »
Gus at BHM is a true guru. He had my pagoda running within 5 mins of first touching it. I was amazed!

unfortunately, he also confirmed that rust has taken its toll on my euro 280. I'll be digging through old rust posts for the next few hours to see if i should get rid of my baby or driver her until she melts away.

Anyone looking to do a proper (expensive) restoration on a SL in the Houston area needs to meet this guy.

IXLR8

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 19:01:17 »
Hi--

What did Gus do?

Enquiring minds want to know, to coin a phrase....

Joe