Author Topic: evaporator  (Read 8011 times)

Markus

evaporator
« on: August 27, 2010, 15:03:17 »
Has anyone replaced the Fridgi-king evaporator (25 pass coil) with something better,  say a (30/32 pass coil or serpentine) that fits into the original evaporator box?

graphic66

Re: evaporator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 17:02:42 »
What is wrong with your system.? Are you using 134a, if so you may want to get some R12 and evacuate  the system and put it in. My updated "Buds Benz" system had a huge difference in output using R12 compared to the 134a, with R12 the system gets really cold and cools the car with the soft top on just fine. These systems I believe were designed for R12. There are some modern refrigerants that supposedly replace R12, but you can buy NOS R12 on Ebay easily. I also found brand new cases full of R12 in an auto parts store in Tennesee a few years ago. It costs about $20.00 a can. Two cans seem to fill the system fine. Just make sure to pull a vacuum on your system for a few hours with a heat source on your accumulator while evacuating. This is all stuff I have learned from the internet and from a friend who has the vacuum pump and gauges to use with someexperience. Someone else more educated in this may have a better answer for you, but this worked with my system. It cools really nice now.

Markus

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 05:36:39 »
Well the old York compressor uses a lot of power, vibrates and is on the way out, the hoses leak, the flare fittings leak, the bumper condenser is severely corroded and to replace all that, why not explore the R-134a option, the money spent will be the same, and for how much longer will R-12 be available, and at what cost? I only want to do this once.  ;)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 17:00:06 »
Sorry, I read evaporator and thought condensor. 

However, if you do need a new condensor, I purchased a drop-in replacement evaporator from a company in California 5 years ago.  I have a jpg of the measurement diagram they sent, but I'll be darned if I can come with the name of the company.  The unit has more and smaller tubes for better heat exchange.  Apart from having to round out one of the four mounting holes, it was a perfect fit replacement.

I've attached the diagram with their part number in the chance that it will help you or someone else.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 17:04:06 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Bernd

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:01:21 »
Hi Raymond ;)

Nice find. Since the pic gives the name of the company, I tried that, and lo and behold, it came right up. Here is the link:

http://www.americancondenser.com/info/P34020-MERCEDES_BENZ-280SL.html

May have to look at that myself!
Bernd

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:07:39 »
I assume that no one has investigated an evaporator upgrade?(not to be confused with a condenser) I did notice AC parts guys have a "Hot rod" evaporator assembly on their web site which looks to be about the right size with a modern expansion valve etc. All for the bargain price of $133.00. For that price I would pull it apart and just use the evap core.

The evaporator must be well sized since everyone that fits a Spal blower doesn't complain about the temp of the air exiting the evaporator.

Luckily I have 30# of R12 in the garage just waiting for this project.

Markus

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 18:29:54 »
After much research I could not find an upgraded evaporator, so I just refurbished the stock Frigi-King, and had o-ring fittings soldered on. New R-134 expansion valve, original blower (new brushes, and lubrication), baffled the evaporator box plenum to distribute the airflow evenly out of all the vents, + 2 cans r-134a, and wow, cools beautifully on summer days in Texas!! The key to an R-134a mod is the parallel flow condenser, the rotary compressor is also desireable (less vibration, less hp requirement, plus higher cu/in rate of freon flow, at lower rpms.) ;)   Happy Pagoding!!!!!!