Author Topic: Beauty Rings  (Read 5749 times)

keith

Beauty Rings
« on: March 20, 2011, 20:49:38 »
Can anyone please tell me where I could purchase 14" beauty rings for my 1966 230SL Pagoda. Reproduction, second hand or even originals. It would be easier if they were from the UK but if not anywhere.

Many Thanks

Keith

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Beauty Rings
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 21:04:22 »
Keith, they periodically show up on e-bay so you can keep your eyes on that.  K&K Manufacturing in Michigan carry repo's and I think Budz Benz also have them.  The Benz Dr (Dan Carron) may have a set of second hand originals.  Check the "sources" section of this site and it will give you phone numbers, addresses, e-mail etc.  I can't help you with European suppliers, except maybe SLS in Germany.  I'm sure they carry them.  Not cheap by any stretch, but then what is. ;D
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 23:24:19 »
Hi Keith--

You may also wish to look at The Samba, a special interest site that sells parts for VW and Porsche.

Check this link for stainless beauty rings, 14 inch, set of 4 for about $65:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=634335

They look pretty much like the ones on our cars.

Joe

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 23:25:37 »
Keith,
SLS sells a set of 4 stainless steel rings for <EUR 100. The MB chrome rings are way beyond reasonable.
What I like on the SLS rings is the additional clamp ring that is much more rim friendly than the original 5 (or 6?) single clamps per ring. I wish that clamp ring was available in the USA or even the complete ring set in the same style. Has anyone encountered them here?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 23:27:15 »
Wow Joe, you were a bit quicker but how did you anticipate what I was going to ask??
Thanks for the link!
However, I have noticed now that these rings have a depth of 2.5 inch.
As I understand it the depth is measured from edge to edge as shown in the photo and my original chrome rings barely measure 1.5 inch.  ???
Have you bought those from thesamba and do they fit?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 00:29:25 by 66andBlue »
Alfred

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 23:00:47 »
Hello Alfred,

You always have very helpful pictures on hand right away. I really appreciate that. :D

Now, I am not absolutely sure about the stainless steel reproductions available in Europe (or Germany) and the ones from the Samba folks ... they might be identical but I am not sure.

Hello Keith,

IMHO if you somehow can, Keith, try to get original beauty rings. They look "way different" from the stainless reproductions - not only because of the color/gloss/appearance of the rings.
You will easily see the extra inner curb/edge. On a cheap car these might be ok, on a Pagoda I prefer the originals even if those are used a bit weathered or with chips ....

My friend Heinrich had those repros on his very nice dark blue 220 SE Cabriolet and those really .... did not look good. :'(
I donated a used original and freshly rechromed set to him, so that his car will look correct again. ;)

If I were you, try to get the correct set from Dan or perhaps somewhere else but don't use the incorrect reproductions.

On the other side I somehow agree with Alfred's comments on these original 6 clamps ... it's a pain to mount the rings with those. Maybe that's much easier with the denticulated reproductions. :o

Just my 2 cents...

Achim
(prefers the original)
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Beauty Rings are so beautiful, but only the originals
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 23:06:32 »
As I understand it the depth is measured from edge to edge as shown in the photo and my original chrome rings barely measure 1.5 inch.

Uhem...,

1.5 inch from edbe to edge (id est chromed diameter) ...? ???
I think it is more 2.5 inch (6.5 cm).
Let me see what my ones have. They're for sure MB originals. :-\

Achim (confused)
Achim
(Germany)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 23:14:11 »
Achim,
"edge-to-edge" - yes it can be confusing but I thought my photo explains it.
"Trim ring "Depth" is the height measured with the Trim/Beauty ring resting on a flat surface".
For more pictures see: http://www.autoamenity.com/Center-Caps/Trim-Rings.htm
Scroll down and look especially at the on showing the one with the retention tabs on the left.
The reason why I am interested in buying cheap ones for daily driving is that I am tired chasing after some kids trying take the rings and hubcaps off while I was shopping!  >:(
Third time in 15 months - last time at a Home Depot store they threw them away and one landed under a moving car. I hope I can still have it chromed again.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 23:19:36 by 66andBlue »
Alfred

IXLR8

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 00:13:53 »
66-

I have bought the rings from The Samba. They fit just fine.

When I lived in Venezuela some years ago, the theft of wheel covers was epidemic. You could always go down to the highway and buy them back, but many people fabricated locking wires that would go through the wheel cover and get bolted beneath the lug nuts.

I wouldn't do this on show quality parts, but for driver quality, it might be a solution.

Joe