Author Topic: Mixing MB Tex & Leather  (Read 4858 times)

Rolland

Mixing MB Tex & Leather
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:57:12 »
I'm still working on which way I will go, MB Tex is the original material in my Pagoda.  More than likely I will upgrade to leather since all interior pieces of off, the seats need rebuilt as do the door panels.  My dash is in great shape and doens't need replaced.  When I look at the covered pieces surrounding the windshield, kick panels, knee pad and 1/4 panels, I question whether or not to spend the money to cover them in leather, so am seeking thoughts from some of you.

Thanks in advance!

Rolland

menesesjesse

• Silver
  • USA, MD, Indian Head
Re: Mixing MB Tex & Leather
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:06:13 »
Its your call but it looks really easy to recognize.  I think if you are not going to change the rest you should stick with the MBtex.  I redid my leather and I would say some of it was in good shape but after pulling it, the padding looked mildewish and smelled like an old car.  Replacing everything will give you the new car smell but the question is is it worth it?  Hope it come out well whatever route you take.
Jesse
1966 Mercedes 230 SL auto
2003 Mercedes E500
1992 Ford F150
1994 Ford Bronco
2019 Shelby GT350R
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7

RickM

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:14:16 »
It seems that matching new to old leather pieces is tough enough. Would matching existing (aged) MB Tex to new leather prove to be even more elusive?

Rolland

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 13:02:13 »
Sorry, I didn't explain things clearly.  All will be recovered with new with the expection possibly of the dash covers.  I'm curious on mixing new MB Tex and leather.  Some thinks like the kick panels, 1/4 panels, etc that aren't seen all that much would make sense to cover in MB Tex.  Excellent points on the hidden issues creating the "old car" smells.

Rolland

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 18:59:17 »
Rolland, what color are you using? A mix of Tex and leather would be more obvious in some colors than others.

Rolland

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:05:07 »
Thanks Doug,  I'm using Black.

Rolland

jaymanek

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 17:25:02 »
I had to have my dash top covered in leather as the vinyl was cracked..

Really id say its all or nothing when re trimming. Im going to have the rest of my interior done in the winter to match as im the sort of person that cant live with things that dont match perfectly!

Bernd

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 00:03:15 »
Only my own personal bias: don't mix. Either stick with all Tex, or all leather. The materials will be too different to look good (and feel right) together, and to me, since you are already changing it, then why not do the rest? If I was a future buyer I would think someone went on the cheap.

hauser

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:47:41 »
Wasn't this a factory option back in the day?  Full or partial leather interiors?