Author Topic: Wood Trim Shim?  (Read 6805 times)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Wood Trim Shim?
« on: March 18, 2003, 15:15:16 »
After taking the two wood trims out, I saw two small pieces of light wood laying near the speaker hole. I'm no engineering whiz so I thought they were braces for the speaker...

But the attached photo shows a wood piece just like the two I have. Looks like it's attached to the trim end.

Are my two little wood pieces some kind of shim or brace for the two wood trim pieces? How do they go on?

Maybe the order they go on is: wood trim on top of dash, wood shims under dash to hold the two trim ends to each other? then the washers, then blue plastic holders? Are both little woods used, one on top of the other? Yes No?

Sorry but I didn't see where the little wood pieces came from.

Richard M

Download Attachment: mbwoodtrim.jpg
26.98 KB
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 15:33:11 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

George Davis

Re: Wood Trim Shim?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 16:05:59 »
Richard,
those 2 pieces of wood support the trim pieces in the middle.  From top to bottom, the arrangment is: wood trim, the 2 shims, the metal dash support, and the 2 blue nuts.  The studs in the wood trim go through the holes in the shims.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 09:41:03 »
Now that I've cleaned up the wood trim, I can't get the drivers side  back in!!!

No matter what position I put the wood in, the left bolt does not clear the rounded binnacle on top of the instruments...does the binnacle come out (easily)? How? or is just a case of force-fitting past the binnacle?
George and Stan suggested putting some tape on the binnacle (which I have already scratched) and some tape on the bolt, then gently twisting until it goes in. (Someone else cracked the new top coat when trying to get it back in.) I thought perhaps if all else failed, maybe I could cut off 1/4 inch from the bolt (horrors!)...any suggestions?
Richard M  :o(

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

George Davis

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 11:09:11 »
Richard, when I'm situations like that, I remind myself that I somehow got it out without too much trouble, so it has to go back in.  Keep the faith, it will go in, it's just a matter of finding the right position.

As a last ditch approach, I think the binnacle is removable, at least in the 280s.  There are some sheet metal screws that are visible inside the dash if the tach and speedo are out.  I haven't removed it and don't know what difficulties it may entail, but I have seen the screws.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual