Author Topic: Door Seal  (Read 2847 times)

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Door Seal
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:38:29 »
Just replaced the passenger door seal (RHD). There is now considerable resistance to closing the last few inches. It will close but springs open with some force when opened. I did not have this problem with the driver side seal. Has anyone experienced this? Will it settle down? Should I trim the seal? Am I doing damage to the seal? Thanks ???
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

bpossel

Re: Door Seal
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:48:32 »
There will be more resistance with a new seal.  I would not cut or trim it.  As long as you used an OE seal and installed it correctly, it will settle over time.
You may need to adjust the catch on the door pillar.
When I replaced my seals I had to make adjustments to the doors and trunk lid over a 1 year period.  Letting the car sit in the summer sun helps.
Good luck,
Bob  :)

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:24:11 »
Thanks Bob, that is just what i've done adjusted the bottom door hinge. Much better now and door alignment looks good. Only thing is that i have to adjust the window as it is now tight against the front seal! How did they get these cars out of the factory - so many adjustments!!
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 23:51:26 »
That's funny that you say that!  I thought the same thing as I rebuilt my car and continued to make fine adjustments over the course of 1+ years after the resto.  It truly is amazing that these cars were put together so good in spite the fact that back then there were no computers....  it was all done by hand, patience, and top German quality and attention to detail.  Actually, its how I was raised....
Bob  :)