Author Topic: My VWs  (Read 5677 times)

johnshenry

My VWs
« on: March 05, 2010, 20:37:23 »
I have been a vintage VW nut for 30 years now.... but just bought a '69 280 for my wife last November.

I spent 8 years restoring this '57 VW, finished it in '99 and last Sept celebrated 10 years on the road with 11,300 miles.  Still have it, still looks just as sharp as the day I rolled it out.

Pics of the resto at thebugshop.org

I have a 1950 Sunroof VW, I bought out of Sweden in 2001.  Still have it, although it is going up for sale in a few weeks.  1950 was the very first year of the sliding sunroof in production and this one is a documented original.

Although I have had it since 2003, I am finally starting the restoration of this 1951 Standard Sunroof Beetle.  This is a very rare car, as it is the "standard" model sold only in Europe (no chrome anywhere, cable brakes) but it was ordered with a sunroof.  I have only discovered about 4 others in the world that are mid '52 or earlier.  It is very, very rusty and will be quite a chore.  But its rarity justifies it.  Some progress pictures here, I am starting on the chassis....

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/johnshenry/1951%20VW%20Beetle%2011E/?albumview=grid

The 280 I bought last year is a very, very nice turnkey car that underwent a mild resto repaint in 1985. I have to fix the heater control levers on it, but other than that, it needs nothing but a butt in the driver's seat!!!

JH

Witt

Re: My VWs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 00:01:22 »
Hi, Great cars ! I can really appreciate what you are going. During my business venture at my VW shop: " THE BUG STOPS HERE"  I restored many a beetle, but nothing that old. I am retired now and play with my 1970 280 SL.

CHEERS !
WITT !