Author Topic: Rear Fog light  (Read 10102 times)

hauser

Rear Fog light
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:12:25 »
How is the auxiliary rear fog light activated?  Is there a separate switch or are they wired to the front fog lights?

PIAA has a slim LED rear light that is nowhere as bulky as the typical / original square style light that is commonly used.  I don't really care for the look of something hanging down on the bumper but more as a safety feature.

http://www.piaalights.com/details.php?productName=DENO-3 REAR FOG LED
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 18:22:39 by hauser »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Rear Fog light
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 14:09:35 »
Hauser,

This isn't necessary for you in Florida or your car.  I believe this "hang down from the rear bumper" single fog lamp is standard equipment in certain European countries (France?  Belgium?) that are prone to serious, thick fog...

I would guess that somewhere in the wiring it is provided for since the Pagoda's were sold in these countries and I bet they had this.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RickM

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 15:02:51 »
Perhaps similar to Euro Porsches, the rear fog light is activated when the back-up lights are switched on.

Add

I stand corrected...

From Wikipedia:

"In Europe and other countries adhering to ECE Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energised by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas,[15] which is within the range of a U.S. brake lamp.[5] For this reason, some European vehicles imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as brake lamps, since their European-specification brake lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and in North America rear fog lamps are not required equipment. However, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America — Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.

Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline — whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[15] This is to maximise the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[15] Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated brake lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the brake lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with brake lamps, ECE R48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any brake lamp and any rear fog lamp.[15]"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 15:36:59 by RickM »

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 15:25:02 »
The 107 and 116 came pre wired for a rear fog lamp, that was not connected in the USA models. But there is no provision for one in a 113. A new wire will need to be run back to the trunk to connect the lamp. I would string a wire fromthe terminal "N" on the headlight switch back into the trunk. this would turn on the rear fog lamp when the front fogs are switched on. There are two treminal screws on the headlamp switch labeled N one is the power suply into the switch, on my car a black wire going to a auxillary fuse box by the clutch resivior, and the other (one that you would want to tap into) has two grey /green stripe wires going to the left and right fornt fog lamps.

Because the lamp you mention is a LED, it would have a low current load, but if you were to install a halogen or other high power lamp I would reccomend adding a relay to the circuit to take the extra load off of the switch.

I imagine Michael has never driven down I 75 when the cane fields are being burnt off.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 15:37:01 by al_lieffring »

jlennon3

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 00:51:10 »
The rear fog light on my 280SL (German registry) is activatedvia a round "pull up" type switch located on the center console immediately behind the ash tray. This switch illuminates when activated. I believe the rear fog light only comes on when the front fog lights are on

hauser

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 01:39:07 »
My ML has a built-in fog light in the left rear tail light.  I have an extra sense of safety driving in bad weather.  If I'm caught in an unexpected ( notorious in Florida) heavy rain or fog that rear fog light is hard to miss.

When did the rear fog light become mandatory in Germany?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 13:32:56 »
I imagine Michael has never driven down I 75 when the cane fields are being burnt off.

Ah, no, I have not.  But there is a difference between planned smoke and, weather created fog.  Remember, the Fed has more safety regulations than you can shake a stick at and this rear fog light is strictly a European invention for European conditions.  But I HAVE driven down the E52 between Stuttgart and Munich in fog so bad they eventually closed the road (after a 100 car stau), diverting drivers off into the countryside (in the days before GPS) and on the E40 between Liege and Brussels, and I was sure glad the drivers AHEAD of me had those rear fog lights on!! :)  I've never seen anything like that here in the USA...is it my good luck?

I guess if you find yourself driving your Pagoda in the smoke of Florida's cane fires, put a light on?
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 17:56:49 »
My car is a Euro model built for the German market.  The left rear bumper has two holes which line up with the center line of the tail light, could this be for there for the under bumper fog light? 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 19:16:21 »
My car is a Euro model built for the German market.  The left rear bumper has two holes which line up with the center line of the tail light, could this be for there for the under bumper fog light? 

That would be the place for it.  If that's the case--your car probably had this light on at one time.  Just for effect of course, all you need to do is get one to mount.  Nobody says it has to be connected!!  Maybe our European friends can point you to a period correct model...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 23:52:56 »
I know the period correct type but I just don't like it.  I'm doing this more for safety reasons and I might as well throw in a bit of aesthetics.

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 14:38:10 »
John Lennon is correct.  I too have a Euro Spec and it has the round pull switch at center box.  This switch has green insert in middle, but it is the same switches at found on dash controls.  Also, if you check your Data Card, you will find if your W113 had fog lamps installed at factory, (code 235).
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

gimp

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 20:29:13 »
I have a Euro Spec 280sl and it has the fog light mounted under the left rear bumper.
The switch is a black pull out located right of my headlight switch above my 4way flasher
on the dash.

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:11 »
I have a Euro Spec 280sl and it has the fog light mounted under the left rear bumper.
The switch is a black pull out located right of my headlight switch above my 4way flasher
on the dash.

Normally the pull-out switch should have a warning light included so you are aware that the rearfog light is swiched on. This is compulsory in Belgium (Europe?).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:04:17 by pablo_o2 »

gimp

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 15:02:01 »
I just went out to check and no the switch does not light up when activated.
Its been about 30 years since it was used, I could not remember.