Author Topic: ANSA replacement exhaust  (Read 9001 times)

ZUNDFOLGE!

ANSA replacement exhaust
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:07:38 »

Hey all,

New to the forum! Looks like a great site chock full of collective Pagoda knowledge!

Anyhow, I'm curious to know if anyone has had any experience with ANSA exhausts (their OE line, not performance stuff). I am "attempting" to fit a new ANSA system to a 1967 250SL and the front downpipe just doesn't want to line up and I know of the possibility of cracking the manifold if it's 'tweaked' into position. I'd return the stuff but the problem is that it's been with the car (in the trunk) for at least two years, so I'm stuck with it unless I want to buy all new stuff from MB, so I'd like to try to make this work first. It seems that the downpipe needs to be 'twisted' a little to make it work so I'm thinking that if I break the weld at the back of the pipe I'll be able to rotate and fenagle (sp?) them so as to provide the least amount of pressure on the manifold. Thoughts on this?

I'm quite disappointed with ANSA's quality. I had their systems on a couple of Ferrari 308s and they always fit properly and sounded great. Oh well....I guess they put more effort into systems for their Italian brethren... :(

hauser

Re: ANSA replacement exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 13:55:06 »
Why not go with Time Valve?  They manufacture a ss exhaust system made for each specific model. 

http://www.timevalve.com/

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 14:34:39 »
I think it was an ANSA that I had for a short period of time.  I remembered many years ago when they were very popular, and I had one on an MGB that worked well.  Not so on the Mercedes.  I had it installed by a reputable Mercedes shop that occasionally works on my car, but the fit was marginal and it would hit the bottom of the car when going over bumpy road - no fun at all....  I ended up putting in a Mercedes exhaust, and have had no problems at all (and it actually sounds great). 

Sadly I cannot recommend that you proceed with the ANSA based on my experience - you well may not be happy even if you manage to get it in.  If you have to try and MAKE things work on these cars, it is generally not a good thing.  The cars are extremely well built, and if the parts are right they generally just fit. 

I have also heard that Timevalve is good, but I have no experience with them.

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 15:04:10 »
Hello Zundfolge,

Where in Ohio are you?  I am in the Columbus area.

Anyway, yes the fit on these systems are fairly precise or it will bump and rub or make noise.  Even the factory systems must be carefully installed. I understand  your situation in that you would like to use the new parts you have on hand. 

I have always had a oxy/acet. torch on hand for exhaust installation, in case the pipes need warmed up and adjusted.

Just clamping the system in place can result in a sagging exhaust downt the road.  Also if an adjustment is needed the clamped connections seem to want to move back. The original systems on these cars are welded at every connection all the way back. 

The process I use is to have the car on four jack stands with the front and rear  suspension under load. Fit the entire exhaust into place with the correct factory hangers, rubber rings and with the exhaust parts supported in some areas with more jack stands so everything is where it should be. Pay special attnention to spacing between floor pans, body and axle tube.  Make sure the exhaust tips are are horizontal,  and sticking out correctly.  Adjust any pipes if needed with the torch and or saw.  Once everything is exactly where it should be I tack weld  each connection on at least two sides. I then drop the entire system and run solid welds around every connection. The finish welded system is then installed as a complete unit.

You can get by with clamping the welded system to the front pipes if you like. Otherwise you will need to unbolt the front pipes and drop them also to run the welds at the front connection.

I cannot comment on the quality or longevity of your Ansa System but this installation procedure will work on any system iif you have the equipment to make the adjustments.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

ZUNDFOLGE!

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:38:48 »
Well, I was able to get the downpipes to fit by breaking the factory weld on them and separating them and fitting each one individually. I then slowly worked my way back, section-by-section and loosely fitted everything up. It definitely took some 'tweaking' to make everything fit and line up without fouling on the undercarriage and to have all the hanger areas in the right places but at this point it all looks like it'll be hunky dory. I'd prefer to weld the joins, but I have the correct 42-45 clamps already, so I'll at least give them a try and see how they do, as I don't have a welder on-hand.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:43:30 by ZUNDFOLGE! »

geezer

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 12:08:16 »
I've used Ansa exhaust on several Brit cars without problems.  However, that was not the case with my 280SE.  I ended up having a muffler shop modify a couple of pipes so I could get the system to fit properly.  My next system will be a Bora.  At least those fit without tweaking.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 14:25:36 by geezer »

al_lieffring

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 14:04:02 »
I have no experience with installing an ANSA exaust system. I just wanted to say that I realy like your ZUNDFLGE! handle. I always called the valve cover the zundfolge because that is what it said on the top. This realy irritated the Germans that I worked with.

geezer

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 14:30:33 »
I've used Ansa exhaust on several Brit cars without problems.  However, that was not the case with my 280SE.  I ended up having a muffler shop modify a couple of pipes so I could get the system to fit properly.  My next system will be a Bora.  At least those fit without tweaking.  

The 2 connector pipes are Ansa parts.  I ended up cutting @ welding those 2 pipes to get the correct offset.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 16:04:44 by Peter van Es »

RickM

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 14:45:22 »
My experience with ANSA was that the systems would rust very quickly. Fitment was dependent on how popular the car was.

This, from back in the day....

glenn

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 16:07:14 »
Zundfogle 153624 - uber alles!!   A polished valve cover- an engine that runs better.

ZUNDFOLGE!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 16:30:42 »

Rick,

The ANSA Sport I had on my 308 GT4 eventually had to be removed because it had rusted out, but had been on there for 20 years or thereabouts. I replaced it with a Stebro system, which sounded fantastic. On my other 308, a GTSi, I put an ANSA Sport system on it but didn't keep the car long enough to find out how long it lasted. Too bad ANSA stuff rots out, as the sound (at least from the Ferrari systems) is fantastic. Haven't yet fired the SL up, but I assume it'll sound pretty much stock since this is just an OE replacement system.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 22:21:05 »
I have had ANSA exhaust systems on my MGBs since the 1970's.  On those cars the ANSA system fits beautifully and sounds great.  The one on my wife's 1966 MGB-GT was installed when we bought it in 1981 and was still going strong until this October, when I hit a rock on a gravel road while we were out "leaf-peeping."  :^( 

Not very many vendors carry the ANSA for MGB in the U.S. anymore and I had a bit of trouble finding another one.  Winter project: fitting the new ANSA system that just came in the day before Christmas (AFTER I remove and send off my CSV to Pacific for a rebuild)!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

m300cab

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Pennington New Jersey
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 16:51:02 »
I used a mercedes benz original exhaust on my '71 280sl 4 speed , it had the best sound out of every 280sl I've ever owned, and I've a dozen!
that was my favorite SL, I miss her, who owns it now?
mettalic blue #2, 4 speed, black leather, totally restored enigne bay, engine, front end, and rear, new black top, sold it about 12 years ago......sold it at the bridgehampton auction in the hamptons
Michael Parlato

RickM

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 17:02:52 »
Rick,

The ANSA Sport I had on my 308 GT4 eventually had to be removed because it had rusted out, but had been on there for 20 years or thereabouts. I replaced it with a Stebro system, which sounded fantastic. On my other 308, a GTSi, I put an ANSA Sport system on it but didn't keep the car long enough to find out how long it lasted. Too bad ANSA stuff rots out, as the sound (at least from the Ferrari systems) is fantastic. Haven't yet fired the SL up, but I assume it'll sound pretty much stock since this is just an OE replacement system.

...and now the hot ticket? Tubi. Made for other high end autos...but not MB.  :(