Author Topic: Ignition Key Assembly not secure - what am I missing??  (Read 5819 times)

dtuttle123

Ignition Key Assembly not secure - what am I missing??
« on: November 30, 2009, 20:39:53 »
If I remove the chrome bezel on my ignition - there is a large 1/8" + gap around the ignition assembly, and it 'floats' - meaning that it's not secure in place behind the dash. 

It's as if I'm missing a locking nut or something to secure the ignition assembly to the dash, and then this would be covered by the chrome bezel.  Take a look at the attached photo - can you help me figure this out?  You can see the large gap around the ignition.

cascadia

• Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
Re: Ignition Key Assembly not secure - what am I missing??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 22:19:51 »
It's my understanding that the ignition assembly does float in this opening, the surrounding bezel is simply held in place by 3 bending tabs on the back.
The ignition assembly itself is held into the steering column lock by a bolt that is under the steering column, on the right side, just short of where the wheel attaches.  If the ignition assembly is moving around then it's possible that this bolt is loose.  There's also a clamp that holds the assembly in place behind the dash.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

dtuttle123

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 22:25:59 »
Bob - could you tell me more, if you know, about the clamp that holds the ignition to the dash?  I can physically move the ignition left/right, up/down within the cutout on the dash.  It moves (or flexes), but it's not like it's loose.  It just seem like there is a large gap around the ignition where it comes through the dash.  The chrome bezel covers the gap, but it still moves.

cascadia

• Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 22:57:55 »
Wish I could tell you for sure, I'm pretty much going from memory of when I stripped everything out of my car.  You might get a quick look by releasing the bracket for the speedometer and peering in through that opening.

Bob in Portland, Oregon.

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 23:29:11 »
The ignition assembly is fixed to the steering shaft assembly, not to the dash directly, through a small kind of  tube on the right side of steering shaft and held in place by a clamp. In addition a small sprung locking pin prevents it from exiting the "tube" even if the clamp is not tightened.
Sounds like the clamp that should fix the ignition to the steering shaft is loose and needs to be tightened.
That would be consistent with the way you are able to move the ignition assembly.

Hans

Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

dtuttle123

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 23:57:17 »
Thanks Hans!  You may be right, and I'll check this. 

What I have learned about German cars is that they are highly engineered - and there is a reason for the design.  I probably have the loose clamp, which would explain the wiggling of the assembly - but why is the cutout hole in the dash so much larger than the ignition face?  The bezel tabs are very thin - not 1/8" - so I still think I have a mystery.

If you take anything else on the dask, like a switch, the clock, or the radio, the cutout is within 1/10th of an inch, and the device just fits.  Why would they not do the same for the ignition?

Do I have the right ignition assembly for an early 250SL? Was a later 250SL ingition assembly 'smaller' than an earlier one?

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 23:58:07 »
Doug,
if you have the BBB look up Job 46-8/3.  If you don't have one these pictures, together with the description provided by Hans, should help.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 00:06:48 »
Looks to me that you have the correct steering lock assembly.  The hole is also that large on my late 230SL.
If the hole were smaller it would be even more tedious to center it correctly.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

dtuttle123

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 00:25:46 »
Alfred - many thanks for that photo of your 230SL ignition without the bezel!  That's exactly how my early 250SL looks - so either we both have the same problem or that was in fact the design.  ::)

I very much appreciate everyone's help on this one - it's been bugging me for a while. 

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 00:36:08 »
You didn't mention the rubber gasket that fits around the ignition switch and under the bezel.
My guess on why the hole is so much larger is that the hole is so far from the steering column (where the switch attaches), that there will be some variation on how centered the switch will be.
Joe