Author Topic: Carpet Replacement  (Read 8363 times)

n/a

Carpet Replacement
« on: March 06, 2003, 06:24:37 »
Gentlemen,
I plan to replace my carpet, but I have no experience in replacing that on the back of the seats. I will remove the seats, but what is involved (what are the steps) to replace these 2 pieces.
Thanks,

Regards,
Stan

Douglas

Re: Carpet Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 23:25:08 »
the first place i'd start is with a phonecall to GAHH. ask them how they sell those particular pieces & i'm sure they can tell you how to proceed. (visit GAHH.com)

sorry i couldn't be more specific, but i'm positive these guys will know.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 04:56:17 »
Hey Stan,
When you have the seat removed from the car you will find that the back of the seat has a number of screws at the bottom edge. Remove the screws and the back will easily slide out.
The carpet seems to be mounted on a cardboard type backing and is usually the same carpet as the floor etc.
This arrangement is used to hold the vinyl/leather of the seat back, in place.
regards

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

n/a

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 07:44:07 »
Bob,
Thanks.
Douglas,
I have called GAHH about buying the carpet and also some leather. However, they told me that they are not a retail outfit and will sell only to businesses. Although other members of the Yahoo group recommended them, I could not get them interested in dealing with me. Perhaps, they would answer some questions.

Regards,
Stan

n/a

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 08:17:47 »
Stan:

I just purchased my carpet set from World Upholstery and trim.  (www.worlduph.com, 800 222-9577)  Great organization to do business with and their carpet sets/trim pieces are of the highest quality.  Plus, their prices where considerably less than other manufactures.  When you call, ask for Jamie, she's familiar with the complete product line.  

As for installing the carpet backs, the carpet is cut to the shape of the seatbacks from the original patterns. Simply attached the carpet to the seat back with carpet adhesive.  I used a 3M product, number 08088 for interior carpeting/trim.  Once the glue is dry slide the back into the groove and screw in the mounting screws.  

Oh, you can order the carpet with the vinyl trim in any color you specify.

Good Luck.

Scott
1966, Signal Red, 230SL

n/a

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 06:35:37 »
Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the help.
I ordered a carpet set from Bud's Benz. I spoke with David Latham (one of the owners) and he went out to the shop and looked at an SL and talked through answers to some of my questions.
I can't speak for the quality yet, but the price was good ($395) for the complete set. I wanted to get extra floor pieces to use as floor mats and he talked me out of spending the money. He said that he could make them complete with snaps, but that they would still be proned to slide around.

Regards,
Stan