Author Topic: Hubcap security?  (Read 9668 times)

heliotropic

Hubcap security?
« on: May 22, 2009, 19:44:01 »
Any suggestions for making our rather collectible one-piece hubcaps less easy to pinch, perhaps even adding a not overly conspicuous visual deterrent (for a driver, not concourse car, of course!)?  Has anyone experimented with the cable locks that tether the cap to a lug nut (I think this require drilling a hole in the cap...)?  Despite its Commando alarm, my car has twice been so violated.  :(  Thanks.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Hubcap security?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 20:20:36 »
Works for me!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 20:34:21 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

heliotropic

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 16:31:16 »
Thanks, James.  While undoubtedly effective, I was sort of hoping for a solution that doesn't need to be fed and watered.  ;)

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:32:07 »
Weld them on! Or not...
They mess with the hub caps?  I guess you could aquire some alloy's if it's really a problem.  Nothing to take there except the whole wheel.
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:11 »
James Howard:  Reminds of what a friend used to do many years ago...he took a $20 bill, but it under the windshield wiper of his car, left the windows open, and his "needs food and water" Doberman stood guard.

Helio: anything you do to that end with tethers etc. will probably throw off the balance of your wheel assembly.  If you have relatively clean and rust free wheel cover clips, and relatively clean and rust free wheels, I suggest that the covers snap on and off rather easily and the best thing to do is just place them in the trunk and lock it.

However if wheel cover theft has happened twice to you, you are most definitely taking your car to the wrong neighborhoods, a little revision is where you go might be in order...if you tether the hubcaps, they'll steal something else, or just get pissed off and really cause some damage.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 21:05:07 »
Why not use plastic tye Wraps as the hire company's use in europe.
Eric

heliotropic

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 20:48:18 »
Thanks for the response, Eric.  I'm not positive what you mean by "plastic tye wraps" but if you're referring to the little cinch-able plastic things we on this side of the pond refer to as "wire ties," I'd think it would be awfully easy for someone already equipped with at least a screwdriver (to pry off the cap) to also snip the ties and be gone.

Moving hubcaps to the trunk each day I drive the car to work would also be effective (no watering and feeding necessary!), just not terribly convenient.  Am still hoping someone here might know of a fairly secure, yet set-it-and-forget-it solution for keeping caps with cars (other than welding).

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 12:44:56 »
Hmm, even the thieves have a discerning sense of smell.  How about placing small containers of the vilest smelling stuff you can find and place it near the wheels or one big one under the car.  That way you be sure that if you park your car in a sea of other pagodas, you can find it again by smelling it out.   ;D
Sometimes a pile of an animals offal can do the trick too. 
Seen the movie "Gone in 60 seconds" with Niicolas Cage?  There was a scene where a junkyard dog ate the car keys to the mercedes cars and they had to find a big bottle of laxative to get the dog to get it out.  And a group of gansters pull up to the two guys walking the same dog and see that one of them is playing with the 'dog oodles' and they roar off disgusted.
Check out that movie and you'll get the idea.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 15:02:13 »
Personally, I would keep a stash of spare hubcaps of varying quality, and attach the set appropriate for the intended destination before heading out. I also like the plastic zip-tie idea: put enough of them around the cap, and it would keep the casual thief at bay (they would need cutters; a screwdriver would damage the chrome).

Otherwise, leave hubcaps at home or get alloy wheels. This is just part of the cost of using this car as a daily driver.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 19:17:31 »
Yup, I'd say alloys are the way to go for peace of mind.  Plus they were an option in the later years anyway. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

SteveK

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 02:24:01 »
Heliotropic, jump on E-Bay and type in "hubcap lock" and you will find some inexpensive options.   I think the cable from a lug bolt to the valve stem looks like a good deterant.  

In Texas however, we just put a bumper sticker on the car that says "there's nothing in this car worth your life"  signed Smith and Wesson
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:26:22 by SteveK »

heliotropic

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:35:11 »
Thanks, Steve.  That's precisely the solution I asked in my original post if anyone had experience with.  So far, it doesn't sound like it.  Note that forum member mdsalem suggested, above, that this solution might throw off wheel balance.

Let's see, so far we've got 1) dobermans, 2) welding, 3) multiple zip-ties, 4) offal, 5) hubcaps du jour, and 5) cap-lug tethers.  Oh, and the law firm of Smith and Wesson.

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 07:53:20 »
Pretty good suggestions if you ask me.   If you do all of those you should be ok.   
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 08:46:40 »
Those 'dobermans' are Rottweilers!

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 15:21:50 »
How about forcing the hubcap edges to shape them in a way that makes it stay tighter in it's place? I don't know, maybe there's a way to do this?

You're talking about the hubcap, not the chrome rings, right?

Andres G

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 13:48:36 »
Speaking of stickers:  How about one that says, Warning: Owner has a rare disease called "Aids"?
I happen to have aids, NOT that one, the other one, called HEARING AIDS (The kind that help me hear).
 ;D
I hope some of you can find the humor in this.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel
wishing for a car with a spirit like Herbie.  Squirting oil onto the thieves faces or tire kicker's shoes.

abe280SL

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 03:42:34 »
Look at what happened to this poor fellow when he tried messing around with her car.

Bob G

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 06:13:25 »
I looked my self for some sort of security for the steel hubcaps I have from the early years of the  Pagoda SL. I had the m beautifully polished and then painted. I do not have a security  problem as I am always never letting the Car out of my eye contact.

Most of the thief accrues with Porsche's , and other high end high tech new automobiles in my area. Not to mention a catalytic convector or two from one  of theses dinosaur cowboy trucks that are jacked up high . An easy target for theifs.

I found some original bunt wheels and metal center caps for  my car . I am going to have them striped and powder coated and mounted on some Michelin tires.  I am more concerned about weight savings on the suspension components since these steel rims weigh quite a bit each vs the alloy wheels. It should improve the ride and turning response.

Like Michael says if you keep getting your hub caps  stolden then your visiting the wrong part  of town.

Bob Geco