Author Topic: Indicator switch  (Read 8503 times)

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Indicator switch
« on: May 21, 2009, 20:01:56 »
Several Months ago one of our respected members sent me the details of how to repair the indicator switch(it will not stay in position).
I seam to have mislaid the instructions,can someone point me in the right direction?

Eric

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Indicator switch
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:06 »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 21:17:09 »
Hello Peter,
I have followed your instructions and cannot find the info: i require.
The info: that naj sent me was a blow by blow instruction on how to replace some rivets that would cure the inability of the stalk to hold its position when selected.
Eric

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 00:19:53 »
Here are some old notes I found...

Fix if Turn Signal does not hold on right turns: pull the rubber cover up over the switch at the column. Remove the screws that hold the switch in the column and pull the switch out enough to work on it.

You will see a spring loaded rod that catches in a notch to keep the lever up (or down) until the mechanism forces it out of the notch when the wheel returns to center.

Use a tiny rat tail file and CAREFULLY file the notch a little at a time until the rod will just hold the lever up until you turn the wheel back to center. Don't file the notch too deep or the lever will not cancel when you straighten the wheel.

Another version:
Pull the rubber cover off the steering column that surrounds the Turn Signal stalk end. You’ll see two phillips screws, undo them to loosen the stalk.  (If you want to remove then you will need to disconnect the large wire plug from under the dash near the steering column, and slide the wire and plug through the steering column.)  For a simple fix, take a small round file(very small) and file out the curve area of the stalk catch…when you move the stalk to the top position you’ll see the springs moving and a small rod with wheels on it.  The wheels hold the stalk in the top position till you complete your turn.  Where the wheels stop, that is the curve to file down.

Hope this helps,

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 20:11:49 »
Sorry to bang on about this ,but i need to repair this switch if only to give me some respite from welding the rust bucket.
When Naj sent me the email i clicked onto the following and everything worked,now it does not,is it me or is it know longer in the system?
http://www.sl 113.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC ID=3821&searchterms=turn sig
I have tried the search system but that went t***s up and refused to play.
Eric

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 23:38:43 »
68 280SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:42:06 »
Time for someone to add that excellent thread to the Tech Manual...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 09:19:44 »
Thanks Naj for reserecting the info: .
I agree with Peter it should be placed in the Tech: section.
Do you think if we asked nicely then Naj would take on the task.
Eric

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:51:35 »

Do you think if we asked nicely then Naj would take on the task.

OK, will do.
68 280SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 07:30:25 »
You're a good egg!  :D

bpossel

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:25:41 »
For all those that want a good laugh...  ;D
Within several days of driving my newly acquired Pagoda home to Memphis (from Sedona, Az.) ~ 5 years ago, this indicator switch was one of the first things that I had to clean.  Had some "crud" on it and the switch didnt work correctly.  So, I sprayed some electric cleaner on it and "pop", the plastic end of the switch exploded into a million tiny pieces of plastic >:(.
This was my first wake up call on these cars and how expensive some of these parts can be....
I think I paid over 400 for a new one....  boy, the wife was pissed at me and I dont think she has liked my Pagoda since...
Lessons learned...  sometimes its better left alone, even dirty....  Establish an alternate bank account for the Pagoda...
bob

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 12:58:56 »
Bob,

so how did you hide that full restoration from your wife then? Always willing to learn tips from an expert....  ;)

Peter