Author Topic: crossmember support  (Read 3730 times)

Surfer65sl

crossmember support
« on: July 19, 2010, 18:33:31 »
Dear Members,

Thanks again for all the great advice over the years to a non mechanic but 113 enthusiast.

After my hood bracket gave out, I ordered a set of brackets form Gernold and had it installed and am now getting around to repair the nicks on the hood and some other minor cosmetic paint work...While doing a full inspection I noticed that the cross member was weak and showing a little rust...I ordered the outer and inner crossmember from K&K...this connects to the radiator and provides other support.  My auto body mechanic who works on other classic cars said that the work is self explanatory but I thought I should check in with the forum to see if anyone has had experience with this type of project?  I am also replacing a small piece of metal on the undercarriage just behind the right front tire fender...Other than that all other areas look to be fine for now.

I paid $16,000 for this car on Ebay several years ago....the car traded away from me originally but the dealer who purchased the vehicle was not 100% happy with a recent repaint job in 670h light ivory...so the owner came back to me at a reduced price and I have been happy with the purchase ever since.  The final prep work was apparently not perfect and the previous owner did not even repaint the engine carriage.  The engine is all original and still has the old but worn wool firewall protector...The car still runs great.  I am explaining this because I do not want to repaint the entire car now...so that if I decide to sell I will not take a loss on what i have put into it thus far. 

Any thoughts on how I am proceeding would be appreciated.

Regards,
Matt
65 230sl european manual

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Re: crossmember support
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 19:12:00 »
Hello Surfer65sl,
I have replaced the crossmember on my project and your mechanic is correct when he says it is a straight forward operation.
Eric

280sl1968

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 19:22:17 »
Hi

I am looking at doing exactly the same job on mine too and would be interested to know how complex the operation is - in particular:

- what needs to be removed in terms of engine bay components etc
- is it a "nuts and bolts" job or is there welding involved?

I'm finding this forum is a great resource.

Thanks

David

Surfer65sl

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 19:35:08 »
David,

There is some welding involved in addition to removing some nuts and bolts.. K&K mfg has these parts and they are not too expensive.  As I learn more I will keep you posted.

Regards, Matt