Author Topic: SECURİTY  (Read 4846 times)

turk280

SECURİTY
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:56 »
İts almost impossible to get theft insurance for these babys in Turkey. My 280 is just to be launched into the world after total restoration. However I am scared to leave it anyware execp for the closed park at home. Anyone know any device ideas against theft?
Thnks
Turk280

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: SECURİTY
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:05:36 »
Other than alarms and steering locks, one of the things I have on my vehicle is a hidden cutoff switch that completely cuts out all power from the battery. Unless they locate the switch they cannot start the vehicle. A friend of mine also installed a method where by it also ran out of fuel after a few hundred yards unless they had found the second cut off switch to the petrol pump as well.

Doesnt stop the tow away however but makes it very difficult to do a quick break and take.

Then there is the microdots identification that makes it easy to identify after the event if someone is trying to sell it however the car has already gone by that stage.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

rob walker

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:40:02 »
turk280, where are you in Turkey, I am in Istanbul.
There are about 4 pagodas I see regularly, most inhabit the Kemer Country Club area!

RobMarks

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, NSW, Sydney
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:41:38 »
Another interesting option I have in a couple of vehicles is a Satelite navigation, tracker cube.  it can have a visible sat navigation unit attached or remain buried within the bowels of the car.  We use them in installer vehicles so that we know how long they spend on  each site or to locate closest vehicles, generate  driver reports etc.  This is alll done remotely from the car on the web.  One of our cars has the tracking  cube only.Our drivers know its there, but no one else.

This won't stop them from stealing it, but the moment it's gone you can watch its travel and locate it within a few metres.  More sophisticated units could shut the vehicle down with a stoke of the keyboard

We had some Airport parking guy misplace our car telling us it was with them etc, and I jumped on the web , located the vehicle on the outer edges of their lot in a couple of minutes and they ate humble pic

rob
RobMarks

1966 230SL
1983 380SL
1989 190E Sportline Lorensir
1990 190E Sportline
1995 E280
2003 SL500

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 19:08:05 »
I would assume that Turkey's reality relates more to that of Argentina than the US at this time. Back home, I used to have a simple but pretty effective anti-theft device in an old alfa romeo. It is a brake pump lock, and what it does is once activated, it will maintain the brake circuit pressure unless released with the use of a key.

What you do is park your car, lock the device and then pump the brakes a couple of times until the pedal goes up and does not allow any more pumping. Voila! Brakes are frozen solid and it will be impossible to release the preseeure to allow the car to move again if you don't have the key to release the device.

I can look up the company that installs them if you're interested, you'll probably have to buy one and have it installed by a mechanic over there.

Hope this helps.
Andres G

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 20:29:57 »
I have an immobiliser fitted so the car will not start - or at least will delay the starting enough to deter most "fun" thieves.

Brake pump idea sounds cool....
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

floatinghat

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 20:42:19 »
I use a switch that cuts off the power to a key component for running the engine.  I have had the "line lock" for my brakes in another car but was concerned about the constant brake fluid pressure over a long time.  If a professional thief wants your car consider it gone, the amateurs can be protected against.  Placing a couple of switches that can stop power to the fuel pump and someplace in the ignition such as the coil go a long way.

Why are there no agencies that will insure a 280sl?  too old, theft rate

Witt

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 22:58:39 »
......If you don't mind "popping" the hood everytime you park the car.....I don't mind, because I don't drive it on a regular basis.....you can, as I did, install a battery cutoff switch at the negative battery terminal. This will serve you twofold:
I turn it off when parked at home to combat possible battery drain, but unscrew the knurled knob completely and put it in my pocket when parking it elsewhere.....that leaves the entire electric circuit dead as a doornail....inexpensive and effective, works for me.

CHEERS !
WITT !     ;)

Bob G

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:30:52 »
your right security with these SLs is at risk even in my sleepy home town in the  USA.  What makes this car so appealing to thefts is it can  be fenced very quickly. Parts are at a premium and costly if you want original not reproduction grills and bumpers, headlight and early red taillights.

These are the last of the hand made Sls that owe their linage to the mighty 300SL gullwing and roadster. I recommend you
keep this possession close to your chest. Prices will not fall . As a new generation of car enthusiast are finding that the more exotic automobiles are impractical to drive on a regular day or weekend journey. The Pagoda is  so durable you for get your riding in a two seater ! and service is not that exotic with the exception of the  fuel injection pump.

Its a down right shame not to enjoy this car. It is built like a Rolex Watch and properly maintained will not let you down like some of the more exotic  marques with higher price tags  that you utterly have to have mechanic in toe.

my recommendations  two words "German Shepard" the one piece of optional equipment that will not let you down!

Bob Geco
California USA.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:37:23 by Bob G »

turk280

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:19:30 »
Thanks to everyone, it looks like I will need to explore the electronic options followed by the brake pump idea.
Dear Rob Walker I also am in İstanbul İs bank towers. mail ctokel@sisecam.com , pls let me know your contact details.
Cemil

rob walker

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:55:01 »
Cemil Bey, I am just behind Kanyon, Duran Is Merkezi, 5 minutes away from you. Will pm you with details. There is a white pagoda in one of the garages just before you get to Etiler again only a few minutes away, I saw it yesterday. I was going to call in but was travelling to a meeting. maybe I will go today.
I regularly see a couple of pagodas at Kemer at the weekends, I will ask the owners what they do re insurance without mentioning anything about you. If I can get their contact details I will send them to you.
Would love to see your car....my intention was to bring mine over to Istanbul from the UK and run it on blue plates whilst I am here, but in all honesty the traffic is so horrendous, I get little pleasure from driving here and decided it was not worth the effort, so bought my wife a convertable instead. We sold that pretty quickly due to the pollution!!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:58:21 by rob walker »