Author Topic: bad alternator?  (Read 7923 times)

tbarrie

bad alternator?
« on: March 31, 2009, 17:45:09 »
when drivimg recently the alternator light when on, I look at the conections and while the multi-prong conecter at the back is not extrenly tight it is secure.  After  a day of driving (had to was out of town) the battery was dead.  When jump-started the car ran with no problems but the batt. is toast, tried to start and nothing.  I am not sure if it is the alt. not recharging of the voltage regulator.  I have ordered a new alt. just in case but does anyone know how to test the voltage reg? I do not have a lot of experiance with car electrics and could use all the help I can get.  Also ow do you remove the original pulley?  I lossened the 1st nut on the shaft in front of the pulley but the assembly seems press fitted on( so I was told) is there a trick to removing?  Its my only form of transportation and i need to get it running asap.  sorry to ramble but thanks for the help
1966 230sl

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: bad alternator?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 18:33:36 »
Did you check http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Alternator ? It has some simple tests to do... sorry I can't be of more help. Also, go to the top level of the forum (press the Forum tab) and then type alternator in the search button... it will find many, many posts, like this one: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=4607.0

Peter
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 18:36:54 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

abe280SL

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 23:25:07 »
To remove the pulley you may have to get a pulley remover which has three arms that grabs the pulley with a screw in the middle.  As you turn the screw it pushes the shaft of the alternator while the the three arms pulls out the pulley.  Any
car shop should have that.
abe

tbarrie

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:04:25 »
abe - thanks for the info, I was concerned use force and damage the pulley.  I have tomarrow off and will see what I can do.  Since I orders the alternator i figured I might as well get a new voltage regulator as well, they should both be here by thurs. and hopefully that will take care of everything.  thanks again

peter- I had already searched the forum, but was looking for something more specific- I had tried alternator, alternator removal, alternator pulley, ect. but nothing had a test for the voltage regulator or a good way to remove the pulley.  I am aware of the depth of knowledge here but for us beginers it can still take some experianced advise to help out.  thanks for the links and your time

taylor

abe280SL

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:44:41 »
Taylor,
If you want info on voltage regulator....type those two words and there is alot of info on how to test if you have a bad regulator vs bad alternator.  I just did that for fun and it was educational.  Unfortunately, you may have to read a bunch of posts to get your answer.
abe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:38:10 »
Hello,

Remove the nut and its lock washer on the alternator pulley. Screw the nut back on so it is just flush with the threaded shaft. Smack the nut with a soft mallet (plastic or wood). Some slight gentle pressure can be used under the pulley as you smack it. Usually works, but you'll need a puller if not.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

tbarrie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 18:05:53 »
I wanted to thank everyone for their help, just put on a new voltage regulator and the new alternator should be delivered in an hour or so, with that and a new fan belt I am hoping that the issue is fixed otherwise I am going to have to start going through the wiring(not looking forward to that) I will post with the outcome.  One last question though, the plug that goes into the alternator was attached but not extremely tight, kind of hard to give exact force/pressure.  It was by no means loose, just not as hard to remove as the one on the VR, is there anywhere to get a replacement?  It doesn't seem like it would ever work its way off, just not as secure a fit as I would like.  Thanks again,

Taylor

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 19:12:12 »
Hey Taylor, assuming the alternator you are using/replacing with is the correct Bosch -- you can get a replacemnt plug through our vendors easily. Try David Gallon Restorations.

BTW, nice story about the family treasure being passed down! (I need to start combining posts to keep my numbers down....  :-[)
James
63 230SL

tbarrie

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 19:53:27 »
Thanks James, I will look into that very soon, it can never hurt to be prepared ;D
Glad that you appriciate the history, I wanted to let people know that even if they might not miss their cars, it has a pull on the whole family!

tbarrie

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 00:05:37 »
I put a new voltage regulator and a rebuilt bosch 35 amp alternator along with a new optima red top battery on, and low and behold- it doesnt want to start!  It tries to turn over, but sounds like the starter is not catching/firing.  You'll hear the whannan-nanna followed by an attempt to fire, then if I continue to cranck on it multiple attempts but it doesnt turn over.  Any ideas?
            Taylor

SteveK

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:21:26 »
The first thing I would do is make sure the new battery has a full charge.  It could have been sitting on the shelf for a while.  Next, check all of the grounds.  My experience has been if a starter spins but doesn't catch, it is usually battery/ connection related.

tbarrie

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 15:56:03 »
Thanks to everyone for their help and input, she is running again.  I put in new plugs and leaned out the a/f mixture at the injectors and she fired right up.  The only problem know is that I could not get the plugs out of #1 and #4, they start to turn the lock down.  I am afraid to damage something so I left them in.  Anyone know of a good trick to get them out?  Thanks again.

Taylor

graphic66

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 16:22:05 »
Get the car good and hot and try and take them out. You must put anti seize compound on any steel to aluminum fittings or risk pulling the threads out with the screw. If they turn a little bit take your time and keep working them in and out a bunch of times. You should see them turn a little bit more slowly. If you do pull the threads out you can helicoil them while the head is on the car, but that is another write up.