Author Topic: Salt Away?  (Read 6964 times)

dseretakis

Salt Away?
« on: February 23, 2013, 17:34:26 »
My local DIY car wash has a spray setting for Salt Away. It's supposed to wash off salt and prevent further corrosion. They say to spray on before final rinsing. Is this a gimmick? Michael?

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Re: Salt Away?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 19:08:34 »
although only Michael was supposed to answer, but here at the car wash the salt away option means that your car gets the underbelly treatment, which is expected to wash the salty deposits, but I reserve that option to my other car, and hope not to be forced to do it to my Pagoda. That could hurts the old lady's feelings ;) ...
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 20:28:42 »

dseretakis

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 21:30:53 »
So Marilyn can lick the salt off my car? :)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 00:27:30 »
Salt Away is a car wash product for the self serve car wash industry. There is very little (to me at least) useful information about how it does what it is supposed to do. It surely can't hurt, but I've never actually seen it in a Michigan car wash. I'll try and find out more about it. For your daily drivers, I'd just be sure to occasionally get an underbody spray at a tunnel wash...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

dseretakis

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 00:59:27 »
Thanks for checking Michael!  I always use the spray wand to clean the underbody and the wheel wells.  I prefer the flexible wands so I can shoot the water back into the fender lips.  I can't imagine how a tunnel car wash will be able to do that.  I'm guessing that it will do a better overall job spraying the underbody though.

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:46 »
Dear fellow thread makers: if you continue like that (salty Marylin and spraying whoever's fender lips) we will be relegated to Way Off topic or actually there will be a new category of WAY WAY WAY OFF TOPICS, possibly with highly restricted access for members that will had to pay a double fee ;D

Anyway, I think that our deviations are due to the fact that for members located in the Northern hemisphere and in areas with four seasons the winter season is too long and we are deprived from driving our Pagodas. This causes salty thought and even some of us start speaking carelessly other languages…. ;)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 13:23:45 »
Well, speaking of deviations, this reminds me of another vintage car undercarriage story. In 2008, we were touring Europe with my love who has now become my wife. Approaching Rome, we joined the European Citroen gathering which was taking place there that year, as the DS is the other car I cherish. There, I saw a superb '73 DS 23ie Pallas for sale, and I was seriously considering to buy it. So the seller put the car in the high position, and myself, a friend of mine who we joined there and the seller were all three of us crawling under the car to inspect for rust and other issues. Standing next to us were the wife of the seller and my wife, discussing how crazy their men were. And the seller's wife went on explaining to my wife that the DS was really something special to French men, that DS in fact means goddess in French and that right now she could see three men lying under one. My wife, who is American and who by then was not yet used to French second degree humor, was like "Huh? Did I understand well ? Did she just say that ?"

We ended up buying the car and my wife loves it ! I wonder why ? This is the car we are using each time we go to Europe :

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 14:32:11 »
GGR
Don't to try to impose French stuff through back door. OK, the DS is a déesse, but frankly…. ;D

By the way, you stopped the story with your wife in a very interesting moment. So you say that at the time "she was not yet used to French second degree humor". Does it mean that the situation has changed? And also, who these days is lying under that DS for her?

having said that, your Citroën is beautiful. I drove one for a moment in France. That was an exhilarating experience except for that freaky break foot-switch (how can you otherwise describe it, since it's not a pedal), well visible on your picture number 3. Another French exception thankfully and duly bygone   :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 14:47:25 by Flyair »
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 16:02:58 »

By the way, you stopped the story with your wife in a very interesting moment. So you say that at the time "she was not yet used to French second degree humor". Does it mean that the situation has changed? And also, who these days is lying under that DS for her?

Yes, she got so used to second degree humor that she's now better at it than me ! For the rest, we're waaaaaaaaay off topic ! Let's get back to flexible wands, shooting into the lips and salty deposits ! 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 16:23:04 by GGR »

dseretakis

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 16:22:21 »
So who seduced more men, DS or Marilyn?

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 18:05:19 »
both seduced many men, but, unlike for Marilyn, many men were able to use (and abuse) DS at there guise. Let me know if I am mistaken?
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 22:11:42 »
Unfortunately, I'm afraid it also applies to Marilyn to some extent.

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 22:20:57 »
Really brilliant car, from the  days when Citroen were allowed  "free reign"
clever engineering, individual styling, and frightening to repair outside France.

I have always admired them, but never had the courage to actually buy one in UK.

Enjoy

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)