W113 Pagoda SL Group > About this site

Posts lost...

(1/2) > >>

Peter van Es:
As many of you have already noticed, (and as has been explained on the front page of the site) due to an badly planned action and an error of our hosting provider we have lost a number of posts and I've had to take remedial action to restore updates of the Wiki pages and uploaded files.

What happened is that they moved our site to a different server and a new IP (internet) address.  That means that all Domain Name Servers needed to be changed. During this DNS change some parts of the world have had the old address (and the old server) and posted messages there, and some to the new server.  Additionally they built the new server from a backup made over a month ago, losing Wiki updates and uploaded files.

I've been able to upload all of the missing files. However, we have lost all posts (and modifications to older posts) made between the 6th of March, 08:03 AM CET (Central European Time) and the 7th of March, 14:58 CET. I'm unable to restore these as my backups do not cover the entire period (I make a snapshot in the middle of the night, each night) and because the newly added messages used duplicate message numbers. So I would damage the integrity of the database.

If you posted between these times, or edited posts during that period, you'd help us a great deal if you could revisit these topics and post or edit again.

Note that if your registered to the site between these periods, or renewed your membership with PayPal, we may have lost those details as well. Please reregister, and alert us of any membership actions you took (we can however verify all PayPal transactions.... so no point trying to fool us there!).

Thank you for your cooperation.

Peter van Es

waqas:

--- Quote from: vanesp on March 08, 2009, 13:24:55 ---(we can however verify all PayPal transactions.... so no point trying to fool us there!).

--- End quote ---

You mean to say that you don't acknowledge receiving that advance fee I sent you via paypal??  ;)

Peter, thanks for acting quickly in restoring the forum from your backups. And thanks for having daily backups in the first place!

It's too bad the hosting company were unable to give us advance notice of the DNS changes so we could have stayed away for 24hrs or so...

Jonny B:
I will add my kudos to those of Waqas, Peter excellent job in getting us back up and running.

And you did get my PayPal payment for the next five years didn't you?????????

Peter van Es:
Indeed, if I'd known in advance, I just would have shut the forum down. The thing that flummoxed me is why they used an old backup to reinstate the server. The last word on this has not been said yet. Additionally that server is not configured exactly as the old one (we currently do not have SSL capability for processing the PayPal payments automatically) but I'm in communication with the hoster on that. I'm so pleased though that I designed the payment function with lots of logging behind the scenes.

So, on those PayPal payments of yours... as I said... we have a record of PayPal transactions... and I've already fixed the missing ones. Predictably there were no payments from either Jonny B or Waqas...  ;D

Peter

dtuttle123:
3 Cheers For Peter!!! ;D

You have a thankless job, but I know that I, and hundreds of others very much apprecaite what you do!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version