W113 Pagoda SL Group > About this site

Stars!

(1/1)

knockmacool:
When I was a young boy nothing, I mean nothing, would make me happier than coming home from school with a star in my exercise book! Gold, Silver, Red, Blue, Green. Gold and Red were favorites... This trend continues today, with my eight year old  amassing a good number of these  (I prefer them to the comments scribbled in Irish on the workbook margins from Miss Walshe- I can understand a star)
Fast forward forty odd years and here I am in a big playground (website) and all the kids except me have stars. Stars- what gives/who invented them and why? Of course I will approach anyone with stars with the appropriate reverence (I need to- I know nothing about cars), but you don't have to log in too many times to know who the heavy hitters are...
And if we are going to have stars, why not three pointed stars?

Jealously  :'(,

Knock 

mdsalemi:
Knock,

I would suggest that 3 pointed stars on a Mercedes site might technically be determined to be a violation of the MB and Daimler trademark.  Be assured that they police and protect this trademark quite vigorously.  It isn't worth the effort to test it.  There are plenty of 3-point stars (can I even say that?) in all the photos that our members post here.

That being said, I would guess that the "stars" you see under our names (which only indicate quantity of postings, not quality ;)) are also a product of the forum software used to host our site.

J. Huber:
Well, figured I should chime in since everyone mumbled my name when Michael said "quantity not quality..."

Here is my theory (or rationalization?). I for one have a ton of stars and posts but am in no way a hard-hitter as far as mechanical ability. In fact that is one reasons why I am so prolific -- I end up asking the same question twice  :o

Other factors include:

1. I have been here pretty much since the beginning and unlike some who come and go -- I never leave. My lifestyle is such that I am near a computer all the time. At home, its right there in the center of our living space -- and at work its my primary tool. Always connected to the web. So checking in is never very far away.

2.  I only work part-time so I spend a ton of my free time obsessing over my car. I know I am blessed to have such a toy and I enjoy messing with it. And it is a bona fide driver and life-long project. So before long, questions come up and I know who I can turn to.

3. I enjoy the company. I know we all share a passion for these cars, and its fun to see others as into them as I am. Moreover, the connections on the site have led to friendships and to some fantastic gatherings over the years. So when I see an opening in a discussion, I jump in to try and continue the comraderie. And, finally, having owned my car for over 20 years, I think once in awhile I add something in the way of experience...

Peter van Es:
Mine are red.... and I agree with Michael.... quantity is rewarded whilst quality is not. If you really want to impress people around here, make sure your name ends up lots of times on this page: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.AllRecentChanges

If it does it means you contribute a lot to our Technical Manual... and that's REAL star quality!

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version