Author Topic: Transistorized Ignition  (Read 4103 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Transistorized Ignition
« on: February 01, 2009, 16:11:18 »
This is not so, for about 20$ you can get an universal transistor ignition, which also will get you a ±7,5% power and milage increase.
I have built these in a lot of vintage Mercedes, and it really is a must.

You're not going to leave us hanging on for more details now are you?  :)
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Transistorized Ignition
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:29 »

But I will tell you a secret, the technical manual on this site states an aftermarktet transistorized ignition would "not be practical and costly".
This is not so, for about 20$ you can get an universal transistor ignition, which also will get you a ±7,5% power and milage increase.

I beleive the guy was talking about fitting the original 280 transistorised system in an earlier car?

naj
68 280SL

Ziggy

Transistorized Ignition
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:34:12 »
This 20$ transistorized ignition is basically the same as the original, just costs about 500$ less and you don't have a fancy aluminum box.
It's not original... but an 123 ignition also isn't.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Transistorized Ignition
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:40:10 »
Naj,

in case you missed the link: http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350487

Ziggy posted that link to a "build it yourself" electronics kit from Velleman that provides a very simple, generic transistorised ignition. Some Assembly (and indeed, soldering) Required, as they say.

Velleman is originally a Dutch or Belgian supplier of electronic kits. You can actually order it here:
RadioCentrum Utrecht for € 14,75

Peter

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Ziggy

Re: Transistorized Ignition
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:05:55 »
Click 'dealers' on this link and you can order it from anywhere, USA

graphic66

Re: Transistorized Ignition
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:01:04 »
Just finished the installation of the Velleman ignition today on my 230SL. It really made a big difference in running. Very smooth running and less burbling on deceleration. My points were in need of replacing, so new points could have made a difference also. But building and installing the kit was fun and inexpensive. The car really runs way smoother. Or as Velleman claims, " make you car run like an expensive luxury car"