Author Topic: what is the proper fuel line routing for a fuel pump rotated 180 degrees  (Read 2427 times)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
hello
what is the proper high pressure fuel line routing for a fuel pump rotated 180 degrees ?

on my car the fuel pump is rotated 180 degrees from original examples.   (pictures)

in some of the examples the high pressure line leaves the pump and is actually clamped to the floor of the car before it is connected to the metal line.

currently the line leaves the pump and floats over the driver side axle, which is probably not the best way to prevent damaging the line.

the pump and cover are installed the way the car came.  there is even an mb zip tie the connects to the protective cover to snug the large low pressure line from the trunk as it is routed around the canister.
i have not tried to rotate the pump and am not sure if i should even try.

thanks in advance for any feedback
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
I had to replace these lines a couple of years ago; it required removing the fuel pump cage. As I recall it only fits on one way. So, then the hoses can only come out one way...

I didn't like the way it all fit back together, I remember having to move things around a bit in order to get them to all enter/exit properly.

So how is this 180 off?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Michael
hi,
the input tube on my car is facing outward (away from the fuel tank) where some of the other photos the input tube is facing the fuel tank.

this may be just the way my car is and i just need to find the best way to route the high volume line from the pump to the metal line.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Michael
hi,
the input tube on my car is facing outward (away from the fuel tank) where some of the other photos the input tube is facing the fuel tank.

Matt,
What prevents you from turning the fuel pump / cover, 180 degrees to face the tank or inside of the car?
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Dirk
hi,
there may not be,  i'll have to remove the cover and see if it is possible to rotate the fuel pump and cover.

its amazing how many thing i find are not correct on my car from this forum that i have corrected over the years.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
I would have thought it is easier just to turn this pump rather than trying to route the lines... I did it last winter (I mean I got the lines correct there, togethe with all the hangers, brackets, rtc.). It is good now once and for all. Brackets are available if you need them, hangers too, special bolts as well...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
i know this is an old post.

while i had my fuel pump out to re seal i decided i'd take some time to re orient the pump and cover to match the second picture in my original post.

i do know the trunk floor was replaced so maybe when they went to put the fuel pump back in there were no holes so they winged it?

anyway its in and properly oriented now.    8)
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
What did it take to correct?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
hi Rodd,
first i had to rotate the pump bracket to get the pump in the correct orientation.
The car has the later style pump cover so i had to drill 2 holes in the trunk floor and then the 3rd bolt screws into the crossmember.

the earlier style cover would has  2 tabs with holes that align with the cross member for the mounting bolts.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Oh, OK.  I guess it can be blamed on the trunk panel replacement having no pre-drilled holes.  Wouldn't there be a hole in the cross member, waiting to be used?  Regardless, congratulations on your corrective measures.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
rwmastel
hi,
yes there is one bolt that goes into the cross member and 2 into the trunk floor.

pics attached
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230