Author Topic: Perma Tune Ignition.....does any one have one?  (Read 7026 times)

abe280SL

Perma Tune Ignition.....does any one have one?
« on: June 09, 2008, 23:51:22 »
I installed a Perma Tune Ignition System in my Porsche 83SC and works great.  It was a replacement for electronic Bosch system.  Now I see on there site they have system that can be added on to the 280sl....I guess its something similar to Pertronix?  Does anyone have any experience with this?
abe

RBYCC

Re: Perma Tune Ignition.....does any one have one?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:06:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by abe280SL

I installed a Perma Tune Ignition System in my Porsche 83SC and works great.  It was a replacement for electronic Bosch system.  Now I see on there site they have system that can be added on to the 280sl....I guess its something similar to Pertronix?  Does anyone have any experience with this?
abe

It looks very interesting...non invasive and will replace the exiting transistor module in the late 280SL....

How have you found tune ups in your Porsche since you installed the unit?
Do the plugs stay clean ?

abe280SL

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 14:17:14 »
Funny you should ask...I am now replacing the plugs on the Porsche....big PIA because of tight spaces.  After 15k miles those spark plugs look very very clean.  Slightly white probably lean....I hope I can get the same results in the Mercedes.  Keep in mind, the Porsche is an 83 and it had its own module before...so its very different than our old 280s
abe

RBYCC

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 15:11:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by abe280SL

Funny you should ask...I am now replacing the plugs on the Porsche....big PIA because of tight spaces.  After 15k miles those spark plugs look very very clean.  Slightly white probably lean....I hope I can get the same results in the Mercedes.  Keep in mind, the Porsche is an 83 and it had its own module before...so its very different than our old 280s
abe

Abe

That's good to hear !!!

I have a 1971 280SL which has the stock transistor module mounted under the battery tray...

Interested if this unit can help to prevent plug fouling...

Did the Porsche tend to foul plugs if driven at low speeds ?

Ed A.

abe280SL

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 18:04:10 »
I did not have any problems with the Porsche,  except that the orignal Bosch unit stop working.  I could have bought the Bosch unit at 3x the amount with old technology or replace it with this unit.  Keep in mind we are talking about an 83 Porsche with electronic ignition and a little computer system.  When I went to look up the site on Perma Tune I ran across a simple unit for old Mercedes 1950s 1960s.  I think this unit works like the Crane, but simpler to install.  The problem I am having is I cant find a store that sells it.  I will have to call the company directly to find out who sells these things.
abe
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 18:05:23 by abe280SL »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 21:03:21 »
Abe,
Have you read the posts about the 123Ignition distributor?  Some of our European members have it or are planning on buying it.
http://www.123ignition.nl/
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

abe280SL

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 13:31:10 »
Update....well the system will cost $450s plus a new ignition coil.  I think since my system is working well.. its back to setting dwell and buying points.  I don't drive that many miles on a yearly basis so its hard to justify the cost. I don't believe this adds anything more than Pertronix/Crane, except for simplicity of installation and no interference other components.  I am not in the business of advertising so if you want one call the company and they can direct you to a seller.  Too bad, it would be have been  a great buy for $150...and much simpler system.  123 ignition is  more than I need and costs even more...thanks.
BTW, I was not having any problems...I just wanted to enhance my ignition system.
abe
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 13:33:57 by abe280SL »