Author Topic: question about the linkage rod adjustment  (Read 18980 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
question about the linkage rod adjustment
« on: April 17, 2003, 14:46:38 »
Hello Tom,

In the post to Scott, below, you gave details of the adjustment of the main linkages.

There were some linkages/rods you did not mention, in particular the vertical link rod that is between the pivot point on the engine block on the RHS and the pivot point on the inlet manifold that connects to the small link rod that connects to the main control rod across the engine.

When I checked my basic top linkages they all seemed to be correct as you stated, but the VERTICAL rod between the pivot points was touching the exhaust manifold and effectively forming a STOP.

I figured the vertical rod should NOT be touching the exhaust manifold so I disconnected the short middle link rod and watched the main linkages.

Nothing moved.

The vertical rod actually PUSHES the pivot that pushes the short middle rod.

The butterfly valve and the inj pump both looked to be resting on their stops.

I then adjusted the short middle rod to allow the vertical rod to be off the exhaust manifold by about 0.5 mm.

After tightening the lock nuts on the middle rod, I had to adjust the constant speed solenoid.

When I took the car for a test drive the motor seemed to be the same BUT the auto transmission is now shifting a lot more smoothly.

It still CLUNKS but it is less violent.

I am going to adjust the vertical rod to be away even more, say 1.5 mm, to see if there is even more improvement in the transmission shifting.

My Questions.....

What have I done that has made the change to the transmission?

As my car was adjusted to have the exhaust CO level at 4.4% with the vertical rod touching the exhaust manifold, should I have my exhaust CO level checked to see if I did actually make a change to the system?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Toms original post

Scott,

Many are tempted to start adjusting the idle air screw and idle fuel screw (on the back of the FI pump) to fix this problem. It would be a mistake to try to fix your low idle by adjusting the fuel and air mixture screws without first going through the steps outlined in order listed below.

First place to start is to ensure all of your linkages are correct, which is critical to a correctly running engine. Disconnect and lubricate each of the ball joint ends.

Starting on the passenger side of the engine, check that the throttle plate (venturi butterfly valve at the air intake manifold) closes tight without binding. Adjust the length of the throttle rod to the main regulating rod (big rod that goes across the valve cover) so that the ball connection on the main regulating rod is centered with the hole in the support bracket.

Now move to the driver's side of the engine. Adjust the linkage from the main regulating rod to the injection pump so that the injector is against its stop when the linkage is tight. From center of the ball end to the center of the ball end on this linkage should measure 233 MM. The idle stop on the other side of the engine should also be tight against the idle stop screw.

Next step is to check the timing to ensure that it is set properly, gaps in points are correct and points are not pitted. Check spark plugs for signs of too rich or too lean running.

Once you get the linkages and basic tuning down, only then start adjusting the idle air screw and the FI pump idle fuel mixture. You can loosen the linkage at the FI pump and press it down while the car is running but since it is disconnected from the rest of the linkage, pressing the linkage down will tell you if the car is running lean (as you are adding fuel without any air). If the car runs better with the linkage pressed *slightly* down, the car is running lean (you gave it more gas and it performed better.) If the car stumbles with this procedure, the car is not getting too much air.

Now hook this linkage back up and go to the other side (passenger side) of the engine and disconnect the linkage from the venturi air intake to the main regulating rod. Do the same trick on this. If the engine accelerates by more than 300 RPM before it stumbles, then there is too much fuel. Less than 200 rpm acceleration before it stumbles could indicate lean condition.

Once you determine if the fuel/air settings are lean or rich, you can adjust the idle air screw or the idle fuel screw (on the FI pump) to get the mix right. This is done with a vacuum gauge. The ideal vacuum at idle is 16-18 at 800 rpm. Turn air screw clockwise until the vacuum reaches it's max before it falls and then turn it back a notch. You would then adjust the FI pump idle fuel screw (with engine off) to until you get the vacuum to a max of 16-18 on the vacuum gauge. Check the Big Blue Book but I think clockwise adds fuel to mix-turn it 4 indents at a time and then recheck. Let me repeat-only adjust the FI idle screw with the engine off.

It would be a mistake to try to fix your low idle by adjusting the fuel and air mixture screws without first going through the steps outlined in order listed above.

Hope this helps,

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Tom on 24 Mar 2003 21:57:23
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: question about the linkage rod adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 16:28:08 »
Last year, I did some tinkering with that vertical rod going through the exhaust manifold, and it did improve the smoothness of the shifting. I posted this to the Yahoo! group, and someone (I believe it may have been Joe Alexander) warned not to change this setting without reference to the proper specs because you may actually do damage to the transmission. This is what I recall, I don't have that actual post in front of me. Someone who knows these cars well since then, who drove my car, commented on how smooth it shifts, compared to others of the period.
I assume you have checked out the other information in the technical articles that deal with this vertical-rod-adjustment? Mine is bent a little, so that it will not touch the manifold. I did replace the small white nylon bushings on both ends of this rod.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 16:50:11 »
Bob,

That vertical linkage has everything to do with the transmission kick-down modulating pressure and little to do with the actual engine performance.  The original post relates to poor engine idle and this linkage will not impact engine idle/performance.

If you adjusted this linkage and noted transmission shifting improvement, you likely need to go further and adjust the idle throttle switch on the side of the venturi unit.  But first check the electrical connections to ensure it is working.  My switch was not working and I had a big clunk while coming to a stop.  I replaced the switch and the clunk vanished.  This is because that switch activates the pressure switch on the transmission.

There is an excellent post on the old Yahoo site by Joe Alexander, which I used to fix my problem.  Here is the link:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/W113/message/3952

As relates to that vertical linkage, the adjusting procedure is in the BBB, but you need to check your transmission pressure while you make this adjustment.  I don't have a transmission pressure connection and gauge (but hope to find one) so I have not messed with this linkage.  You could blow a seal or the tranny if you do not monitor the pressure while making the adjustment.

Best,

Tom
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 00:24:45 »
Hey Tom and Cees,

I think I must have confused you guys, sorry.

Firstly, my car is RHD.

I am not referring to the ANGLED ROD that connects to the 3 position solenoid on the transmission and is accessed from the inside of the car through the RHS wall of the transmission tunnel, but a VERTICAL ROD that is between a couple of branches of the inlet manifold in the engine bay, that my car has to connect the accelerator pedal through pivot points to the fuel/air linkages.

There is no mechanical link between the transmission and the linkages for the fuel and air. It is all done with mirrors!

My idle throttle switch works properly because I have no problems with the transmission when slowing down.

Again, sorry to not be precise in my description.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
best of the best

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 07:43:17 »
Bob,

You did not confuse me.  That vertical rod, if the same as my car, does connect to the throttle linkage and the other terminal point is to the right side of the block.  It adjusts the trasmission modulator pressure.  That is why the clunk sound diminished-you adjusted the pressure in the transmission.

Best,

Tom
1971 280sl Beach Driver

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 23:41:11 »
Hey Tom,
I am confused.
How does the modulator pressure get changed from the engine pivot point for the accelerator linkages?
Is it more than just a pivot point?

I have not seen any mention of it on yahoo. I am still learning about my cars' workings.

Was I wrong in thinking that the modulator pressure was adjusted by turning the rod connected to the 3 position solenoid on the transmission?

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
best of the best

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 06:27:55 »
The engine linkage has only one input to the autmatic transmission. This is the stop on the venturi which is connected to the electrical switch which sends input to the three position solenoid on the transmission. This stop with 10mm lock nut is a factory setting and is often mistakenly used for an idle adjustment. Review the procedure as previously posted. Let us know if you need help or cannot find it. These early automatics receive other imput from engine vacuume, kick down switch, etc. Later Mercedes sedan transmissions directly recieved input from linkage and had  a linkage rod going from the engine down to the transmission. This is NOT the case with the 113 automatics. Both types are discussed in the BBB and the 280-SE sedans used both types. Besides incorrectly adjusted linkage to the venturi switch, too fast an idle will also affect downshifting. Adjustment of the transmission three position solenoid linkage or the modulator pressure should be done only as last resort after all other settings are put right.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2003, 08:01:28 »
Bob, Joe:

I apologize-I am confused and did confuse you. I went back to the BBB that refers to this adjustment.  See Page 27-23/4

Bob, I have adjusted that linkage as well and noticed transmission shift changes.  What I confused was the picture in the BBB at 27-23/4 with this linkage.  Joe, the linkage that I discussed that goes vertically near the intake manifold seems to do something to the shift points on the transmission.  Is it actually adjusting idle in some way and that impacts the shift point?  We discussed this in Columbus last year but I do not recall the details of how this linkage works.  What does this linkage do?

Best,

Tom
« Last Edit: April 19, 2003, 08:07:41 by Tom »
1971 280sl Beach Driver

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 05:46:28 »
Hey Tom and Joe,
Whew!
Tom, how noticeable was the improvement on your car?
Joe, I am happy with my transmission now although I think it could do with further adjustment.
I will wait until I have it done by someone with a vacuum gauge or I invest in one and have a go at adjusting it myself.
There is a discussion about Mercedes auto transmissions at ...
http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/16BoltInstallationInstructions.html
it is very informative about our transmissions and talks about the adjustment of the 2 position solenoid rod etc. It also talks about the wiring of the switches and solenoids and has a diagram to show the connections.
I too am interested your response to Toms' comments that he made about the vertical rod and idle adjustments and shift points.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
best of the best

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2003, 06:20:35 »
Hello hands_aus,
The verticle linkage rod does not directly effect shifting. You prpbably slightly moved other linkages, like the one that activates the venturi switch. Any change in idle rpm or engine vacuume will cause some shift minor changes.
After adjusting linkages make certain that you are getting full throttle when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed! Have a helper sit in the car and depress the accelerator completely with the engine off. The venturi flap and linkage arm at the intake, should be fully open. Often times I find that these linkages are not opening all the way.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2003, 19:12:32 »
Joe,

What does this vertical rod/linkage regulate?

Best,

Tom
1971 280sl Beach Driver

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2003, 21:20:10 »
Hello Tom,
The verticle rod connects to a lever on the side of the block. The accelerator linkage from the gas pedal comes through the firewall then behind the engine, down close to the starter then forward to this same lever on the block where the verticle linkage also attaches.
It does not regulate anything special. It is a link in the accelerator linkage which starts at the gas pedal and terminates at the venturi and injection pump. The trasmission is only affeted by the action of the linkage at the venturi switch, or changes in vacuume or engine rpms (idle etc).

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: April 20, 2003, 21:26:36 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 03:35:56 »
Hey Joe,
Thanks for the info
I thought my idle throttle switch was working properly but there is a definite improvement in the changing of the transmission, so the adjustment I made must have made a difference.
I think that the idle speed has increased.
I will have my exhaust CO level checked again.
Last time I had it checked it was at 4.4% CO.
What do you think?

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
best of the best

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2003, 21:47:19 »
Hello Bob,
Sounds as if you have been making steady progress. Naturally since the idle increase solenoid affects the linkage, an adjustment of this may change the position of the linkage at the venturi switch to change and thus the transmission may shift differently. Always be sure to check the switch function after all other linkage adjustments.
Your CO level is a bit high. However not that bad, if its running well. You may try some minor fuel adjustments. Check the CO at idle, then 2500 rpms, then at 4,000rpms next opportunity,  to see where the adjustments are needed.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2003, 22:47:56 »
Hey Joe and Group,

The reason I decided to have the CO level checked is that the fuel gauge was moving more quickly and there was more of a fuel smell about the car and I decided that the idle revs had increased.

This morning I had the exhaust CO level checked.

When it was adjusted last time we had it at 4.4% CO with that rod touching the exhaust manifold and idle revs at 750.

After making that small adjustment to the middle rod, the exhaust CO level when we checked it was 5.9% and idle revs at 800.

The mechanic checked the length of the inj pump rod and it was 235 mm instead of 233mm so we adjusted that. The other rods were ok.
Then reassembled it and adjusted the fuel air mix to give 4.2% exhaust CO and idle revs at 750.
Then adjusted the constant speed solenoid.

I took it for a test drive and it definitely seems much peppier and the transmission is still smoother than it was before.

One other thing I did was to check the auto transmission fluid level. I found it to be over filled so I pumped out about 125ml and went for a test drive and then let it idle for a while before checking it with the engine running.
It is now showing fluid at the top mark on the dip stick.
I read that over filled transmissions can have problems.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
best of the best

W14

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 00:13:09 »
Some linkage pictures:

Download Attachment: Throttle bellcrank.JPG
63.94 KB

Download Attachment: Throttle linkage.JPG
64.18 KB

Will W14
1965 230SL 4spd
Victoria,BC

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2003, 14:42:54 »
Hey George Davis, Joe Alexander and Group,

Next week I am having my engine mounts and rear transmission mount replaced and maybe the flex coupling too, and I am having the auto transmission filter and oil replaced and the transmission adjusted at the same time.

Should they adjust the auto transmission selector linkage and reversing /neutral safety switch?

Will the new engine height affect the LINKAGE from the ACCELERATOR PEDAL and the FUEL/AIR linkages adjustment?

The reason I ask about the linkage adjustment AGAIN……

Yesterday I was looking at the RHS crankcase PIVOT point.

In previous discussions we seem to discuss only the TOP linkages and not all the linkages from the accelerator pedal all the way through to the main control rod.

The Haynes manual shows the pivot point on page 61, figure 3.29 (linkage support bracket on engine crankcase). There is a picture on page 58, 12.1B (Accelerator linkage (RHS) fuel injection engine).

I noticed on my car that the connection point from the vertical PULL ROD (15), to the lever (16) touches the engine mount and uses the engine mount as a stop.

The Haynes manual shows that connection point touching the engine mount.

It doesn’t seem right to me.

Should that connection point NOT touch the engine mount?

What is the correct set up?

What do you have on your cars?

Will replacing the engine mounts affect the position of that pivot point connection to the PULL rod and affect the running of the car?

Will I be able to drive it out of their garage and make the adjustments at home or will they have to do the adjustments $$$$$?

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
best of the best

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2003, 17:21:15 »
Hello Tom,
That RHS linkage should not really stop on the engine support. The linkage stop is on the venturi and the injection pump. try adjusting it so that the linkage comes to rest just above the engine support.
No adjustment of the reverse light and nuetral safety is required since the switching is controlled by a cable. The gear selector position may need to be looked at. The adjustment here is on the linkage rod itself.  
While working on the transmission service, make sure that the valve body bolts (above the filter) are re-torqued before insallaing new filter. Also check to see that the reverse band 22mm locknut is tight on the outside lower right. This can loosen over time allowing the 10mm adjustment bolt to unwind. Make sure that the flex disc is oriented correctly. It needs to be installed one way only (see illustration in BBB). Be aware that the drive shaft bolts are two different sizes. The washers and bolts go in certain positions.
The transmission linkage rod going to the three position solenoid should not need adjusted after service, as a rule.
Don't forget to drain the converter, most of the fluid is in there.
Always use a new cork pan gasket!

Check those rubber transmission cooler lines at the radiator. If they burst you will be stranded. They are fairly inexpensive.

Everyone should  check their gas pedal. When the pedal is completely depressed the linkage at the venturi should be against the full OPEN stop or else you are not getting all the avalilable throttle! At full throttle the kickdown switch should also be activated, if yours is an automatic. Of coarse at idle The venturi linkage should be at its CLOSED stop. There is a peddle height adjustment on the firewall where the linkage goes into the car. You can adjust your pedal height here if all the other settings are correct and you still need more travel to reach full throttle. You will have to unhook the spring then loosen the 13mm bolt and physically move the pedal then lock down the bolt and re-attach the spring. Always check to make sure your pedal still reaches the kick down switch on automatics. There is no need to mess with this adjustment as long as the linkage reaches full throttle and as long as it also reaches the kick down switch (automatics).
Good Luck!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003, 17:35:59 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

hands_aus

• Platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 06:58:55 »
Hey Joe,

Thanks for your reply.
I will ask the service guys to do the checks.
What does that 10mm adjustment bolt ADJUST?
Are those things part of the auto transmission service?
Will they check and adjust the modulating pressure both for normal use and kick down use?

Also...
On sloping ground my car rolls about a quarter of a wheel rotation when I put it in PARK.
Is there an adjustment that can be made to the PARK POSITION to prevent that rolling.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
best of the best

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2003, 06:21:29 »
Hello Bob,
I would not check modulator pressure during a transmission service. It does not usually change unless some problems are occuring. The other items listed may not be standard procedure but are just preventative checks.
That 10mm bolt with 22mm locknut adjusts the reverse band in the automatic transmission. The BBB gives the adjustment procedure.
It is not unusual for the car to drift slightly before the parking gear in the automatic locks. If it ever ratchets further or fails to engage then the selector linikage rod on the transmission should be adjusted.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 06:23:46 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430