Author Topic: Need help on door upholstery-Cognac leather  (Read 1953 times)

Doug McAllister

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Ramon
Need help on door upholstery-Cognac leather
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:01:43 »
Requesting some help from experienced members on interior Cognac colors and materials.
1) How to remove and replace the rivets on the top of the door which attach the backing board to the metal top piece
2) Requesting member opinion if just received leather door kit and seat kits are Cognac or Bamboo (World). I ordered Cognac and all paperwork says same. The color is very nice but appears to me to not have the surface dark "spots" or stain which is applied over the Bamboo to make Cognac. The picture I attached shows a closeup of the 3 Cognac materials I have. On the left is the new door leather(it is identical to the new seat covers ordered at the same time). In the middle is my original 69 280SL MB Tex door. On the right is new Tex. As you can see - all very different. Before I call the supplier and ask, I wanted to get some opinions if I received Cognac or Bamboo leather. I decided to convert my interior from Tex to leather seats and doors, but they do not match the original dash.
3)Leather door covers came as bare leather with foam padding in the strip, but not rest of door. Has anyone else tried using a wool felt glued to the board front side before putting on the leather? Any recommendations? Thickness looks to be about 3/16 to 1/4 in. thick.
http://www.thefeltcompany.com/f-15n-wool-felt-3-16-thick-x-72-wide/
Thanks
Doug M
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:15:46 by Doug M »
Doug M 
1969 280SL MB
1988 928S4 Porsche
2014 Audi A5