Author Topic: Pin Striping  (Read 3799 times)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Re: Pin Striping
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2024, 01:27:39 »
I eventually had them buffed off my 107 (Reply 11 above) and have been very happy with the result. For the 113, I would never consider adding.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2024, 03:23:33 »
These cars NEVER had pinstriping from the factory. If you like the look, go for it, it is your car. If you are looking for authentic, no stripes.

It is your car, you can do what you want, and what you think looks good.

I admit that I like the look on a 107, but never on a 113.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

67230SL-Vinny

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Mount Dora
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2024, 05:17:12 »
From an investment point of view, best to stay strictly original, no pinstripe.

From an enjoyment point of view do whatever pleases YOU.
30 years ago when I had my 67 230SL repainted in original 040 black with a modern 2-stage base & clear-coat, I added a hand-painted red pinstripe. It already has too many no-no's to win anything at a Mercedes concours event, like the later model wheel covers, RH side view mirror, 3-point seat-belts, side markers, none of which belong on a 67, not to mention my non-Mercedes battery.  ::)
However, I've won best of show at non-Mercedes events where they judge it compared to other classic high-end marques, not based upon strict authenticity. They liked the way it looks, I like the way it looks, and
I especially like the way it drives, but the judges of course wouldn't know about that.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 11:25:55 by 67230SL-Vinny »
57 Volvo P445 Duett
67 MB 230 SL
74 Alfa Romeo GTV
85 MB 300CD Coupe
2004 MB E320 Wagon
2005 MB E320 CDI Sedan
2006 MB E350 Sport-Wagon

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2024, 17:37:54 »
No !!!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2024, 12:45:28 »
Pin Striping [and other modifications...]

When our beloved Pagodas were new 50 years ago, and even 30 years ago when Vinny added the pin stripes, I would suggest that they didn't have the cachet (the cars that is) that they hold today. They never sold for six figures, they were plentiful on the used market, and they were "just" attractive, aspirational cars. At that time, nobody could or would predict the penchant for complete originality revered today. Owners can and did do minor things to dress up or change their cars. The late Bob Geco's (one of our group's early members) who got his car from his late father, had chrome "fender spats". Others have pin stripes. Others hopped on the wire wheel bandwagon. None of these cosmetic additions are that drastic that they cannot be undone with a little effort, so any "devaluation" is subject.

I think Vinny's red pin stripes on black are quite nice as shown. Maybe not for me, but if I bought his car I wouldn't touch them--they add just a little tasteful something to an otherwise beautiful car. I would not go out of my way today to add them, but may 30 or 50 years ago, I would have. When I bought my new 1979 E21 BMW 320i, it was white with rather large Alpina tape stripes. I didn't order them, [but they may have been a factory option or a catalog option from BMW] but when the car arrived at my dealer, he offered to remove them. I took a look and said, no, let's keep them. They always received unsolicited high praise.

If you look at my signature, you'll note my daily driver is a 2023 Ford Maverick. This is a small pickup truck. There are two forums for that truck--the Maverick Truck Club and the Maverick Forums. While bearing little resemblance to our group here, there are active forums for this new vehicle introduced for the 2022 model year. I am baffled and astounded at the same time at the lengths new owners go to for modifying their new vehicles. While this Maverick will NEVER be a Pagoda 50 years from now, the amount of changes people are making to their Mavericks to "personalize" them is remarkable. They raise the suspension. They lower the suspension. They use larger tires, they use smaller tires. They remove the nice alloy wheels and get other nice alloy wheels. They add underbody protection plating for off road use. The more invasive are removing parts of the IP, and substitute different IP parts from other Ford vehicles; notable are a number of swaps from Ford Escapes. The most daring of the modifications involve getting software for a laptop, plugging in the laptop to the OBD port, downloading the trucks thousands of lines of code for all of its computer modules, and re-writing patches of code to do or not do certain things. I can only imagine screwing up something so bad in that latter modification that you'd have to sheepishly tow the car to the dealer to "make it right".

So do what you like. If you decide now or later you don't like it, undo it. With AI today there's probably a way to accurately visualize your car with whatever modifications you like, including pin striping!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz280

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Jersey City
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2024, 12:54:00 »
Its like Bundt wheels, some yes and some no .
1971 280SL 4 Speed
1995 E320 Cab
1965 Shelby GT350

67230SL-Vinny

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Mount Dora
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2024, 20:52:01 »
Well said Michael.
From both a historical perspective, and current-day perspective.

Young drivers today often spend more money on upgrade wheels & tires than they spend purchasing their used car or truck itself. I can't imagine how awful they've made the ride and handling.

As far as Bundt Cake wheels, on my many W123 and W126 cars I've owned I always ditched the Bundts and upgraded to a later Mercedes smooth-face wheel they offered on later models for the same chassis.
I reasoned, if Mercedes thought the newer wheels were better, more modern and stylish, why shouldn't I ?  Thus, the later style wheel covers on my 67 230SL.  8)  But I suppose the same reasoning is justified on those who added Bundts to their W113's. -JMO

57 Volvo P445 Duett
67 MB 230 SL
74 Alfa Romeo GTV
85 MB 300CD Coupe
2004 MB E320 Wagon
2005 MB E320 CDI Sedan
2006 MB E350 Sport-Wagon