Author Topic: Fuel injection pump reconditioning after LONG storage  (Read 3466 times)

Bernd

Fuel injection pump reconditioning after LONG storage
« on: December 08, 2009, 14:22:22 »
I am finally getting to the engine work of my car which has been in a state of partial restoration for almost 18 years. My question pertains to the following:
during the initial disassembly in '92, the pump was removed from the engine, cleaned, and seals replaced where possible ( the covers were only put on loosely, so they have not ever been compressed or exposed to fuel. The etire pump was stored in that state until now attached to the engine in proper alignment. As the seals have never been soaked in fuel or compressed they all look and feel fresh.
 Any suggestions on what needs to be done to get my pump back to functioning? Any residual fuel deep inside the pump will of course have turned to lacquer YEARS ago. Can I expect to need to have it completely disassembled and rebuilt, or is possible to just get it going without this step? Have not had to deal with this before, so I am at a bit of a loss as to the best way to proceed.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Fuel injection pump reconditioning after LONG storage
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:34:19 »
Hello,

As long as the rack is free in the pump, it is most likely fine. The end of the rack is visible from the fitting in the front end of the IP.  Review "the fuel injection pump tour" to familiarize yourself  with the IP. Plain rubbing alcohol works great for cleaning any fuel varnish deposits.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

graphic66

Re: Fuel injection pump reconditioning after LONG storage
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 15:58:28 »
The best stuff for cleaning fuel deposits and carbon deposits I have ever used is a marine product called decarbonizing fluid. It is made by most outboard motor manufactures and some aftermarket. OMC engine tuner in an aerosol, Mercury makes one also. This stuff just melts away deposits. It is also the best stuff for decarbonizing our engines. Follow the directions on the can and spray it in the intake before your oil change. It is also great for cleaning parts like heads and pistons, spray it on and let it set and the carbon just wipes off. I leave it in my engine overnite at each oil change. Some really black gunk comes out of the exhaust after. There is also a fuel additive made by OMC, I add that to my fuel every so often as I always have it around because I run it in all of my 2 stroke fuel.