Author Topic: Frigiking With SPAL Blower  (Read 3254 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Frigiking With SPAL Blower
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:55:59 »
Does anyone else who has put a SPAL blower on the back of the Frigiking underdash unit have a problem with too little air flow out of the louvres? Even the louvres directly in front of the blower. My SPAL blower is mounted nicely on the back of my underdash unit, and the air outlet openings on the blower line up fairly well with the openings on the back of the evaporator case. Air flow before the evap is great, but once the air passes thru the evap, the flow is much less, pretty meager. The evap has been well-cleaned and all the fins have been straightened out. Years ago, when my Frigiking was working with the original blower, I remember having much more air out of the louvres (and more blower noise too).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 15:02:43 by 280SL71 »
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
Re: Frigiking With SPAL Blower
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 20:54:06 »
Gernold modified my system to have a vent to the far left of the unit so that it blows on the driver's leg.  There is an angled vent arm (I believe to be a vacuum cleaner attachment!) that directs the flow toward me.  Works very well.

Airflow is strong with the SPAL blower-even with the "extra vent", but the far left standard louver produces almost no air.  The far right is very strong.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 20:55:02 by Tom »
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Re: Frigiking With SPAL Blower
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:23:16 »
Tom, did Gernold use the original evaporator? The only thing I can figure is that all those thick tubes in the evap are blocking the air? Or maybe somehow its the orientation of the blower, the angle. I'll give Gernold a call. Doesn't make sense.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo