Author Topic: First driving impressions  (Read 8203 times)

johnshenry

First driving impressions
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:40:51 »
Well, we got plates for the new 280 Friday, and my wife took me out for dinner in "her" new car.  Yes, I had driven it a little bit, but this evening I rode mostly as a passenger, around town, stopping at a couple friends houses before going to a nice restaurant in a rural town for dinner.  She let me drive it the last leg to the restaurant, and I parked it safely in the far corner under a streetlight after dropping her off at the door.  When we finished dinner, I got our coats and insisted I would "go and get her car and bring it up to the door".   It sure got some looks.

My wife LOVES the car.  Keeps saying it is "cute" and talking about how next spring she will go and take her friends out to lunch in it.

Some pics in this thread:  http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=11721.msg78972#new

I drove it "around the block" Friday and of course before I bought it.  But got some real "in the seats" experience tonight.  I am a vintage VW enthusiast, and have 3 50-60 year old VWs.

The 113 drives nothing like those.  No surprise.

I find it wonderfully "old" in manners, its got some good power (keep in mind my 1950 VW has a 25 hp engine and no sychros in the tranny), but handles, well, like a 41 year old car.  But I love it.

I find the brakes very good.

The auto transmission however is clumsy, clunky and a bit harsh... but I figure that must be "normal" (?).  Shift points are pretty predictable, and I know that this is a fully mechanical system.

The car feels nose-heavy (but keep in mind my VW frame of reference), but confident on the roads.  We drove all backroads tonight, and it got pretty misty/foggy in some areas, but the headlights were good (coming from 6 volt land in my VWs).

We'll probably take it up to work one day this week, a 25 minute each way commute about 85% highway, ought to be a different experience.

And just maybe before the snow flies and we have to put the old cars away, I'll have a chance to take to another restaurant and try the "valet test"...

I still can't believe I finally own a pagoda.... errr, my wife does.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: First driving impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:21:09 »
If you find the handling a little "like a 41 year old car"  then try updating all rubber suspension components, replace your shocks, possibly even the springs...if these components are all 41 years old and not refreshed, that would explain the handling.

I did this a year ago, and my car rides and handles so much better now!

Also, my auto transmissions shifts very smoothly, except when accelerating really fast, then you'll notice a gear change. So, as the advice is to all new owners... beg, steal or borrow a drive in someone else's Pagoda and you can quickly tell if you should accept what your car does as normal!

Peter
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:23:45 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:27 »
To each his own but in 10 years of Pagoda ownership, I've never let a Valet drive the car...manual shift...and I'm too nervous.

In most places, they let me drive to the parking spot while the valet rides as a passenger. One restaurant valet insisted I park the car right in front of the front door to "give the place some class."

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 13:36:40 »
I think your observations are fairly typical.  The transmission is not what I'd call smooth, has very "positive" shifts.  I never liked it in my mother's new 1971 280 SL at the time, so it is "normal."   However, in relating my dissatisfaction with the 113 auto tranny to the boys at www.blackforestllc.com I was told that a lot of it can be adjusted out and made much smoother.  However, it still does start out in second gear unless you hit the kickdown switch (1st is for pulling stumps), and does not shift back, say when rounding a corner on normal acceleration.  Learning to use the gearshift to hold or induce certain gears becomes a valuable skill to learn.  I have a manual in my 250 SL.

The car is nose heavy, dives markedly on braking.  Brakes are excellent if not "touchy."  I like the suspension.  Hardly the sport suspension of my newer BMW, but a very pleasant ride that soaks up the bumps well without wallowing all over the road.  You will like the freeway drive, mine starts to really shine around 95 mph.  Many vintage Mercedes are known as "boulevard cruisers."  Straight away, smooth and fast cruising is its sweet spot.

Now, my Porsche 356C of the same era, that's a whole different animal.  And, comparing the 113 to your VWs is worthless.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 13:40:17 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 18:29:46 »
Get a set of the H4 conversion headlights like these Hellas http://www.autobahnpower.com/products.asp?category=Hella+Car+Horns+and+Headlights&subcategory=Hella+Headlights  Get the 100/55 watt bulbs in clear, not the blue or yellow crap. These are plug and play and besides my windscreen these have been the best "upgrade" yet. These H4's with the 100 watt high beam are incredible. I just used the stock wiring with no problems but I bet a new set of relays and some heavy rewiring would make them even brighter. My other favorite upgrade is the Velleman electronic ignition, cheap, easy and completely reversable in a few minutes. http://www.designnotes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=K2543&Category_Code=alaa  It really runs smooth and your points last way longer.

johnshenry

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 00:23:39 »
Get a set of the H4 conversion headlights ..........

I was actually thinking of doing that.   Years ago when I used to drive A1/A2 Volkswagen Cabrios, I used to run Cibie (forgot what the model was called) Euro spec H4s, with 100/130s (relay switched), and had Hella 500s in the grill with 130s that could be coupled with the high beams using a dash switch.  520 watts of light on High beam.  I could SEE where I was going.  Man I miss those.   IT has been a long time since I had a car with 7" round 12 volt lights.  I'll be putting Cibies in this winter for sure.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 04:48:05 »
Hi John. First off congrats on your, I mean her, new car...

Second, it appears that you found a nice "original" Pagoda. Besides the obvious good side to this -- it also means you probably have some freshening up to do to get the car back to its former glory. As mentioned, replacing the suspension parts will really make a difference. Shocks, sway bushings, subframe and engine mounts are a good start. Springs if needed but I'd do the others first since they are pretty straightforward. This will help handling and braking. While on brakes, be sure to have them checked out and renewed as well. As far as shifting -- spend some time getting familiar with the shift points, and you will start to "feel" how to  drive it more smoothly. Also confirm linkage is set right and that things like points and timing are correct. But most of all have fun and give your new toy some TLC... you won't regret it.
James
63 230SL

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 18:55:38 »
I still can't believe I finally own a pagoda.... errr, my wife does.

Did you ever say "I can't believe I finally own a VW?"   ;D

Congrats, I'm sure you guys will thoroughly enjoy the 113. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

w113dude

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 22:09:18 »
I still can't believe I finally own a pagoda....

I get this feeling every time I take a glance at my w113 and w111 coupe, after having them for the last seven years. "pure joy"  :)

johnshenry

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 19:47:39 »
I figured I post again in this thread since i did a 440+ mile road trip this last weekend in the 280 with my wife.  Waterpump issues aside, I am thoroughly enjoying this car. 

For it's age (both technologically and chronologically) it feels remarkable nimble and solid.  And I'm 6' 3" and I fit in it quite well.   The return trip last Sunday (I stayed behind and extra day to replace a water pump and thus got to drive the car all the way 186 miles home) was thoroughly enjoyable.  Although I had endeavored to take more back roads, my GPS battery ran out, its charger would not work in the Benz for reasons I have yet to figure out, I ended up making it mostly a highway run.  And large part of that was open highways, with scenic views, sweeping turns and excellent surface on a sunny, cool day.

In fill up I calculated 16.4mpg.  A good 100 mile of that tank was with the top down.

I am amazed at the "pull" this car has at highway speeds in 4th gear (its an auto).  Even more remarkable as it really isn't that fast off the line (even in a 1st gear start).  But put the pedal down at 65 and it will confidently pull hard up to 90-100.  Not bad for a 41 year old car with a 110K mi on the engine (I might have gotten it past 100 if my wife hadn't been shouting and flogging me at that instant).  It does seem to get "buzzy" over about 75, feels like it is coming from the engine, not the wheels.  But cruising at 80+ doesn't feel like I am "pushing" it at all.

The brakes are excellent, and it has fairly new Michelin tires on it.  I still have not tried a full on panic stop, but I am confident it will stop in short order.

Two fairly major, and common, repairs on the horizon; the heater lever replacement and the pass window "jaw" guide repair.  Thanks to this site, the details are well known.

At least the water pump is new.....

J

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 20:03:29 »
I assume by now you have seen the Blacklick video on "driveability improvements"

Other than the suspension bushes etc as Peter suggested, I went the whole hog on wheels, shocks, Carbotech brakes, igniiton (not a 123 but a crane unit) and a 3.46 off a w108. A couple of pool noodles under the drivers seat and I am one very happy camper.

No-one over here seems to do poly-bushes. Anyone come across any?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 20:06:04 by Tosh »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

johnshenry

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 20:13:17 »
Haven't seen that video, is it online anywhere?

What are the pool noodles under the seat for, bolstering the springs a bit????

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 20:21:50 »
Crucial viewing....

http://www.sl113.org/VideoInstruction.html

As for the noodles, yes. The springs are a flat panel under the horsehair pad that start at the rear of the seat and loop back on themselves at the front. A bit of noodle inside of  that "loop" gives a more support. Not tried a long drive yet but wife and I both felt it was more comfortable under the thigh. We'll see....
James L

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 18:24:10 »
To make sure that you get the chance to drive your wife's 113, consider choosing the next restaurant that offres some good wine. This way, you can have your wife enjoy both the car on the way to the restaurant and the wine, while you will take care of the drive back... It should be a win-win case ;D
Stan
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

w113dude

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 01:15:08 »
To make sure that you get the chance to drive your wife's 113, consider choosing the next restaurant that offres some good wine. This way, you can have your wife enjoy both the car on the way to the restaurant and the wine, while you will take care of the drive back... It should be a win-win case

Right on  ;)

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 10:44:53 »
Not in my house

I'd rather stay sober than let the wife drive (her car)
James L