Author Topic: Need help installing DOT rear lamps  (Read 5054 times)

Bob G

Need help installing DOT rear lamps
« on: May 15, 2008, 22:57:15 »
Well, this story begins with the idea of removing the red tail lamps and replacing them with the newer style DOT approved 70 and 71 rear lamps.

Because my thought was safety first and that my two nieces sometimes ride with me, I wanted to make sure people saw my turn signal indicator lamps flashing.

I first removed only the left side since it was the easiest to get to. I removed the short chrome trim molding as well. I test-fitted the chrome bezel, aligned fine. I then put the assemble together and proceeded to push the studs throught the holes.

This is where my problems began. I could not get the tail lamp assembly to push in all the way. I exchanged gaskets off my red tailight assembly, same problem.

What am I missing here? I refitted the red tail lamp assembly, it  installed fine.

Can I get some opinions on what I should try to get the new assemblies to fit?

Thank You
Bob Geco
1968 280SL
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:48:22 by 280SL71 »

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Need help installing DOT rear lamps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 00:11:41 »
They should fit. Can you see where things are hanging up? I had a similar problem trying to fit late model tail lights to a 230sl. I had to enlarge the holes slightly with a rat-tail file to accept the studs.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:35:49 »
Bob,

Something is amiss here.  This should be a non-issue.  I've had my lamps in and out several times, and also changed them from all red to the newer style, all without any issue whatsoever.

My procedure is as follows:

1)  Remove the wiring harness and pigtail to the side marker.
2)  Remove the bulb holder by removing the two nylon thumbscrews.
3)  Remove the 4 nuts and washers from the 4 studs.
4)  Gently wiggle a bit, and then push from the back and pull from the front, and it will come out very easily.

The new ones went in in reverse order without incident.  The only hangup at all is getting the end to slide under trim in the upper inner (towards the license plate) external corner of each assembly.

Caveat: my older style and newer style lamps all were "completely integral" one-piece units.  No separate chrome trim.  Some older units I understand had removable trim.  That might be your issue...??
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 16:54:03 »
Very simple operation.  You must have missed something.

Bob G

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:06:30 »
I did every thing suggested by Michael Salami. Since it has cooled down, I am going to take another try at it. What seems to hang up was either the lens or gasket. Perhaps I will find out the next try around. This should be a piece of cake.

One other question while I have your attention. I have the hardtop off and went to put the soft top up. I think the lock box has to be raised to be adjusted. The rear lock on the soft top pop up. I have checked the cable and handle to make sure they are in the correct position, again another small problem any suggestions?

thank you all for your responses.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:20:28 by 280SL71 »

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:23:13 »
Bob:

The black box in the back center of the soft top compartment can be adjusted for easier latching of the soft top rear. The box is held by four bolts that can be loosened. The box can be moved up then retightened. This should make it easier to latch a tight top.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Bob G

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:52 »
I took another try today and this time I found the culprit. It will require a skilled metal man to correct  the problem. After  separtating and fitting the bezel first , as I had expressed it fit fine. The problem arose when I tried to fit the bezel, gasket and lens. So I  took just the lens and sure enough a peice of the inside rear body work that allows the taillight unite to pass through had a small porporation of metal that blocked the new lens from fitting  through.

This is another draw back since I do not have any records of rear end collinsion damage. I am sure this set back can be corrected. I look at it as lucky that  I found the problem now  instead of after the body and paint work. It adds one more item to my list for this project.
I appreciate all the response given.

Thank You
Bob Geco
1968 280SL
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:44:19 by Bob G »

Bob G

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 02:33:41 »
P.S to settle my disapointment about the tailights I added a 1/18 scale 300SLR  Mille Miglla 300SLR diecast model a copy of the orginal #722 car driven by Sterling Moss and Dennis jenkins coplit navigator by CMC diecast models. I hightly recommend it and plan to display it next to a signed book about Sterling Mosses career along with picture of him and his lovey wife I meet while judging many years ago.

Bob Geco
That is my gift to my self.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:35:50 by Bob G »