Author Topic: Ordering from BudsBenz...how does it work?  (Read 1724 times)

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
Ordering from BudsBenz...how does it work?
« on: November 23, 2022, 23:26:56 »
I added a few things to my cart, when to checkout and specified my paypal account.

But it didn't process.

Instead, I get an email a couple days later about an invoice to be sent.

I replied back w/a question regarding a paypal invoice, Audrey said I'll receive a paypal invoice when the order is complete.

WTH does that mean "complete"???

It's been over a week now.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Ordering from BudsBenz...how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 00:00:35 »
Probably means that they will invoice you when they have everything ready to ship, and only bill you for what they are shipping.  Back-ordered items or items that they have to source from outside their warehouse, if any, may be invoiced and billed later when they are in hand and ready to be shipped.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 02:28:50 »
I would have to say, having dealt with them recently, that it is not a user friendly site.  I was looking for a particular item but it wasn't on their site so I emailed them.  Yes they have it but didn't tell me how to order it or point me to where I could find it on their site.  So I again emailed them to order it along with everything else I needed.  Had to follow up to get an invoice via paypal but still don't know if it has been shipped as I haven't heard another word.  Will need to contact them again to find out if it was shipped. 

As I said, not very user friendly.  In the past they have had to e-mail me with a shipping quote after the order was placed.  Again, I don't know why this can't be calculated when you place an order.  Every other site seems to be able to do this.  Maybe parts is such a small part of their business that they really don't put anything into it.  I don't know.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 03:38:57 »
Not knowing the specifics of the BudsBenz process but becoming intimate with some American Truck parts sites, I think Buds may be taking a bit of extra time to see what they have in stock or can get quickly to get you a proper shipping quote.   I have had two shipments from vintage Truck places where they backordered parts, didn't tell me they were backordered and then hit me with additional shipping for the 2nd and 3rd shipment which arrived only a couple days apart.   What I thought was a respectable deal turned out to be overly expensive due to the shipping.   

My experience with suppliers of mercedes parts has been much better than with vintage truck parts so far.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 00:27:44 by Bonnyboy »
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 16:07:30 »
I never had any issues in the past 10 years. I call them and speak to one of they're sales people or to Dave directly. They invoice me ad the parts are shipped.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 16:14:25 »
I never had any issues in the past 10 years. I call them and speak to one of they're sales people or to Dave directly. They invoice me ad the parts are shipped.

Dieter

Ditto.  Always pleased with their service. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Bshaunessy

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Invermere
  • 1957 190 SL; 1970 280 SL; 1975 450 SL; 1971 300 SE
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 21:11:14 »
TEAHEAD and JORDAN:
   Having dealt with BUDS quite a lot ($$$$! in parts for 1970 280 SL and a 1957 190 SL…..two projects at once! ) lately, I think I have their process figured out. 
  When you order on line and "check out": your order process is not complete ( unlike AMAZON for example).  BUDS checks inventory ( website and actual inventory aren’t connected) and gets a shipment quote ( shipping cost nat automatic like some on line buying sites).  Once shipping and actual inventory determined by BUDS, they trigger a PAYPAL  invoice electronically to you and you pay and….eventually receive your items.
   Back ordered items tend to get lost in Buds system….up to you to bird dog by email/ phone with Buds.
  It’s worse if you’re Canadian 🇨🇦🇨🇦 as the parts usually hang at customs until you pay the approx 25% import duties ( so much for free trade).
  BUDS system isn’t quite as sophisticated as some BUT they tend to have almost everything WE need to keep our PAGODAS running.  Just imagine the systems you would be using if you were sourcing these parts in the 1960's when these cars were built!
(1) drive 3 or more hours to nearest Mercedes’ dealer….if there was one that close
(2) stand in line at the parts counter
(3) spend 3 hours with the parts guy poring over microfiche to find the obscure left handed sludge pump you needed
(4) pay with cash
(5) wait three months for the mail to get to MB Germany to complete your order
(6) wait another 3 months for part to arrive…..sadly they sent a RIGHT handed sludge pump and you have to start over

BUDS ordering process is now looking pretty good,

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 23:01:31 »
TEAHEAD and JORDAN:
   Having dealt with BUDS quite a lot ($$$$! in parts for 1970 280 SL and a 1957 190 SL…..two projects at once! ) lately, I think I have their process figured out. 
  When you order on line and "check out": your order process is not complete ( unlike AMAZON for example).  BUDS checks inventory ( website and actual inventory aren’t connected) and gets a shipment quote ( shipping cost nat automatic like some on line buying sites).  Once shipping and actual inventory determined by BUDS, they trigger a PAYPAL  invoice electronically to you and you pay and….eventually receive your items.
   Back ordered items tend to get lost in Buds system….up to you to bird dog by email/ phone with Buds.
  It’s worse if you’re Canadian 🇨🇦🇨🇦 as the parts usually hang at customs until you pay the approx 25% import duties ( so much for free trade).
  BUDS system isn’t quite as sophisticated as some BUT they tend to have almost everything WE need to keep our PAGODAS running.  Just imagine the systems you would be using if you were sourcing these parts in the 1960's when these cars were built!
(1) drive 3 or more hours to nearest Mercedes’ dealer….if there was one that close
(2) stand in line at the parts counter
(3) spend 3 hours with the parts guy poring over microfiche to find the obscure left handed sludge pump you needed
(4) pay with cash
(5) wait three months for the mail to get to MB Germany to complete your order
(6) wait another 3 months for part to arrive…..sadly they sent a RIGHT handed sludge pump and you have to start over

BUDS ordering process is now looking pretty good,

You shouldn't be paying any duty on vintage car parts coming in from out of country. Exchange rate, brokerage, shipping? Yes, that adds up, but that's expected.
It costs a lot to keep parts in stock and sometimes some items have to come in from Germany. Those special order parts are not returnable in most cases.

I keep regular parts in stock like filters, ignition, brake pads, suspension, and some rubber seals. Everything else I order in as I need it, which usually takes a few days to arrive. We also recycle used pieces from our parts cars and rebuild complete components ready to install.   
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 20:37:56 »
Okay, so I guess one needs to nudge them at least 1x/week.

After a week, I emailed.  Nothing for about 4 days.  Then finally:

"I am waiting on one part. It is the instrument underlay. I will be here in 2-3 weeks. It is coming from Germany. "
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 14:12:43 »
Buds isn't Amazon.  They are a "Mom & Pop" garage in the old school way.  There is no doubting their expertise and stock of old and new parts, but they don't have an IT department or distribution warehouse.  The owner, David Latham, is an entrepreneur and is trying to grow his business.  He's at a stage my business went through where you're trying to compete with the big boys on a small business budget.  My guess is the web site was designed by a relative. Chalk up the issues to growing pains.  Your best bet is to deal with them on the phone, human to human.  You'll get the best advice and understanding of your order that way.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 16:53:16 »
Well said.  One can sometimes find stuff at Buds that one can't find elsewhere.

I deal with a similar operation in Arizona for parts for my pre-war M.G. TA.  Up until two months ago one ordered by phone or e-mail from a printed catalogue that was updated once every 18 months or so, and sent by request.  A few days later an e-mailed invoice arrives for the parts in stock that have been packaged ready to send.  Upon payment he mails the package.  Any back ordered parts are invoiced when they arrive and are packaged ready to send, then mailed upon payment.

Back in October the one man and a helper operation finally was drawn into the 21st century.  Doug rolled out an on-line catalogue that pretty much mirrored his printed catalogue, but was enhanced by color photos of most individual parts.  Placing an order results in a confirmation page acknowledging the order and indicating that an invoice will be sent soon.  His invoicing, payment and mailing system still remains the same.

If you think original style keyed gas caps for a Pagoda are hard to come by and dear, think about this:  Early, wide tank, M.G. TAs had a unique racing style gas cap.  Only 3 or 400 of this style tank and cap were produced 85 years ago before they redesigned the rear of the car to incorporate different rear fenders and tank with a less expensive off-the-shelf cap.  My early cap was broken beyond repair.  He has new ones in stock.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)