W113 Pagoda SL Group > Question and comments on Originality

Help with engine bay VIN stamped

(1/2) > >>

Travolta:
I am new to the forum, however I have a very odd issue.

In my 1969 LHD 280 SL, the VIN in the engine bay resembles a 3, (see right hand side of the picture), however all of the titles/codex/confirmation from Mercedes state that should be an 8. 

The rest of the digits in the VIN matches the documents.

However it looks like a rounded 3. To the left of the picture the 3 included with the 113 is angular at the top.

My question here is whether anyone has come across this before and is there a process to address?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   And yes I signed up as a member to help contribute:)

Pawel66:
I think it is just poorly stamped 3. The last digits also show the same imperfection - they are 9 and 0? Clearly "3" is a different digit shape than 8. I am not sure if there is anything to worry about...

Is the plate original with matching VIN?

Travolta:
Thank you Pawel,

Yes the original plate is clear, along with the title and its an 8.

As you say, poorly stamped, the last two digits are 90.

Teh question comes what is the process to get confirmation (from Mercedes?) so that I can have the car registered in Hungary.

Kind regards

Louis

lreppond:
Mine is lightly stamped.  Actually very difficult to read, more so than yours.  I think yours was just an uneven stamping.  As long as your VIN plate is correct I would not worry. 

Travolta:
Many thanks for the feedback.

Is this a common thing on 60's Mercedes?   

Problem is that for the registration test in Hungary, they are rather "difficult" and require a confirmation from Mercedes.....

Kind regards

Louis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version