Author Topic: Removing Gear Lever Knob  (Read 701 times)

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Removing Gear Lever Knob
« on: November 25, 2023, 20:02:35 »
Hi Andy,

This will sound like a stupid question, but I'm very much a newbie!
I also have a nice NOS ivory gear knob for the 4 speed manual on my '66 230SL (It says its the push on type not a screw thread which I assume is normal as I see no others on offer) How do I get the old one off? I tried removing it (it turns easily which is part of the reason I wanted to change it as it doesn't stay oriented correctly) but it doesn't seem to unscrew or easily pull off. The next step will be to really yank it, but I didn't want to risk breaking anything - is there any particular knack to it??
Thanks,
Rich

1966 Mercedes 230SL (Euro model)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Removing Gear Lever Knob
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 08:34:53 »
Hello Rich, the top of the shaft is splined, so the knob will pull off with some force, some people use a rubber mallet and gently tap underneath, perhaps using a spanner or grips open larger than the shaft, and some padding. I would be slightly concerned about damaging the bottom bush and linkage if you pull or tap too vigorously, so might be better supporting the shaft somehow, with padded grips, or taking it off the car first.  Replacing the knob is the opposite, line the knob up first accurately before you tap it on, you don't want to have to rotate it, as that will just loosen it up again
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:51:52 »
Here, in our Technical Manual you have description on how to pull out the knob: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/TransmissionClutch/Shifter#Auto_ShiftGate

I followed this procedure, worked for me.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 17:28:43 »
Thanks both!
Thanks,