Author Topic: Restoration - Update  (Read 59424 times)

KevinC

Re: Restoration - Update
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2008, 10:50:38 »
Bob,

How do you like the color?

Kevin

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2008, 02:49:52 »
Bob,

What kind of surface prep and treatment did you do to the exhaust manifolds?
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

bpossel

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2008, 04:40:29 »
Hi Kevin,

So far, i really like it!!!
I do still like the 113's in red, dark blue, black, silver .... but happy that I went with the light ivory color.
I am hoping within the next 2 weeks to have it back on the road again.  That's the goal....
Thanks,
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by KevinC

Bob,

How do you like the color?

Kevin

bpossel

« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2008, 04:48:33 »
Hi 280SEguy,

I sent my manifolds to M&R Performance Coating and had them ceramic coated.  Was tired of looking at the rust!  I am sure there are other folks that do this, but that's who I used...

http://www.amr-coatings.com/index.html
Bob  :)

quote:
Originally posted by 280SE Guy

Bob,

What kind of surface prep and treatment did you do to the exhaust manifolds?

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2008, 06:57:53 »
When you're finished, it would be interesting to see a rough tally on how many hours and dollars you have invested. I've really enjoyed following your odyssey, by the way.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2008, 10:00:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

I sent my manifolds to M&R Performance Coating and had them ceramic coated.  Was tired of looking at the rust!  I am sure there are other folks that do this, but that's who I used...

Did you get the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated from the inside as well?
What is the correct manifold colour for our cars?

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2008, 11:46:46 »
Speaking of coatings/plating.... your Cad plating looks beautiful in the photos Bob. Would you recommend the vendor?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:49:06 by Mark280SL »
Mark

bpossel

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2008, 19:06:26 »
To date, ~500 hrs actual labor on car.  This does not include reading, trips to the hardware store, ordering parts, looking at pics, manuals, etc...  Also, I had replaced many parts over the past 4 years on my car, so many of the parts came off easy.  I dealt with the dirt, grime, grease and rust before I started in late October last year with a full resto.  I think to restore a 113 could easily be 1500 hrs +++.

Dollars...  too much!

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy_Crow

When you're finished, it would be interesting to see a rough tally on how many hours and dollars you have invested. I've really enjoyed following your odyssey, by the way.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 19:11:33 by bpossel »

bpossel

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2008, 19:08:05 »
Hi Waqas,

Yes, inside was coated also.  I think the correct color was a darker grey.  I just did a silver color....

quote:
Originally posted by waqas

quote:

Did you get the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated from the inside as well?
What is the correct manifold colour for our cars?

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2008, 20:48:11 »
quote:

I am hoping within the next 2 weeks to have it back on the road again.  That's the goal.
Bob,
Will you be driving it much?  Will it make long trips like before?  Maybe you & your project could make an appearance at the Tom's Chili Cookoff and Pagoda Knowledge Exchange in Virginia this fall?!?!
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2008, 03:48:10 »
Hi Rodd,

As we all know, these cars are much happier when driven.  I do plan on driving her a lot, but will be more selective where I drive her. I do plan on the trip next year to Joe's.  Not sure about Tom's this fall? ... would be a fun trip...

quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

quote:

I am hoping within the next 2 weeks to have it back on the road again.  That's the goal.
Bob,
Will you be driving it much?  Will it make long trips like before?  Maybe you & your project could make an appearance at the Tom's Chili Cookoff and Pagoda Knowledge Exchange in Virginia this fall?!?!

James Stern

« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:03 »
Bob,

It's really getting close now.  The car looks fabulous :D .  I notice that your posts are coming quicker now.  If it's not premature; congratulations.  I'm sure that all of us will be both sad and happy as your journey ends.  What an epic build and thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Jim S.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2008, 12:44:20 »
quote:

Hi Waqas,

Yes, inside was coated also.  I think the correct color was a darker grey.  I just did a silver color....

Thanks Bob!

By the way, I absolutely love your new colour combination-- very classy!  Can't wait to see it in person next year at Joe's.

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2008, 14:54:36 »
Hi Bob:
  I also would like to thank you for your invaluable postings and pictures during your "odyssey".
  Couple of questions:
  I like your "clean" look, but what did you do to the bumpers, replace or plug and rechrome.
  The soft top cover pad looks to be seamed at the corners?  Did you find some difficulty fitting a single piece?
  Thanks again for all of your time for all of our benefit.

Rick

Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

bpossel

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2008, 17:46:10 »
Hi Jim,

Thanks!  I still may be working on her for a while.  Had to send my throttle body off to California to have new throttle rod bushes installed.  Also my side kick pannels dont fit right, so will need to order more material and redo them....
Hopefully by mid August, it WILL be back on the road...
Thanks again,

quote:
Originally posted by James Stern

Bob,

It's really getting close now.  The car looks fabulous :D .  I notice that your posts are coming quicker now.  If it's not premature; congratulations.  I'm sure that all of us will be both sad and happy as your journey ends.  What an epic build and thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Jim S.

bpossel

« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2008, 17:47:34 »
Hello Waqas,

Thanks for the compliment!

quote:
Originally posted by waqas

quote:

Hi Waqas,

Thanks Bob!

By the way, I absolutely love your new colour combination-- very classy!  Can't wait to see it in person next year at Joe's.

bpossel

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2008, 17:53:34 »
Thanks Rick!

I had the bumper holes welded over and then the bumpers rechromed.
The soft top cover was already precut and stitched from Gahh.  They supplied the entire interior, including carpet.  Great vendor!

quote:
Originally posted by bogeyman

Hi Bob:
  I also would like to thank you for your invaluable postings and pictures during your "odyssey".
  Couple of questions:
  I like your "clean" look, but what did you do to the bumpers, replace or plug and rechrome.
  The soft top cover pad looks to be seamed at the corners?  Did you find some difficulty fitting a single piece?
  Thanks again for all of your time for all of our benefit.

Rick

James Stern

« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2008, 06:00:01 »
Bob,

I just checked your picassa site to see if you might have posted any pictures and there they were.  A lot has happened since the July 26th posting.  I have the feeling that there are other pictures (knowing your documentation procedures :D .  It is looking better every day.

Jim S

bpossel

« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2008, 06:28:19 »
Hi Jim,

Yes, I am still moving forward, but with some issues...  Here's an update...

I gave my bumpers to the company that painted my car.  They were supposed to fill the overider holes and send them out and have them tripple plated (fronts and rears), show quality (which was $$$).  I gave them my bumpers in Jan.  Got the rears back (ok quality), but for reasons too long to go into, the fronts came back w/o the holes filled and the chrome work was crap [:(!][:(!][:(!]!  Month after month went by w/o them living up to their end[:(!].  Wrong on my part....  I paid them in full for the rechrome in the beginning because they said they had to pay the chromers up front  :oops: .  So now its a legal issue...  what a pain...[:(!]

Yesterday I sent my throttle body back to a guy in California to redo the butterfly bushes and ensure all back to original specs.  This is setting me back another 2-3 weeks ... :(

Basically, all that is left to do is to install the throttle body (when I get it back), adjust all linkages, fill fluids...  and start 'er up  :D !  Also need to install new window glass.  Should get them in the next week or so.  My original window glass had some scratches on the ends where the previous owner did'nt replace the plastic guides.  Also, when I removed the glass last Oct/Nov I noticed that one glass was tinted and was was clear.  Never really caught this before....

I was trying to spare any complaints, issues, but I guess it goes with any restoration.  

Thanks, Bob

quote:
Originally posted by James Stern

Bob,

I just checked your picassa site to see if you might have posted any pictures and there they were.  A lot has happened since the July 26th posting.  I have the feeling that there are other pictures (knowing your documentation procedures :D .  It is looking better every day.

Jim S

hauser

« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2008, 19:20:45 »
Bob, sorry to hear about the bumpers.  Do you think it's a chrome issue or perhaps what your body shop did prior to chrome?  I got a feeling these guys are going to point the finger at each other.  It's a shame when these things happen.

bpossel

« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2008, 03:55:17 »
Hi Hauser, it's the body shop.  They sent the bumpers out w/o filling the holes.  Bumpers were rechromed.  Summary, rechrome was not "show quality, tripple plate".  They only plated the front side, rear side is pealing thin layers of chrome and holes not filled.  I have gone ahead and installed the bumpers with chrome plugs in the holes.  I will redo them once I clear up the dispute with the body shop.  They still did a very nice job on the body & paint.  I am very pleased with their work on that!

quote:
Originally posted by hauser

Bob, sorry to hear about the bumpers.  Do you think it's a chrome issue or perhaps what your body shop did prior to chrome?  I got a feeling these guys are going to point the finger at each other.  It's a shame when these things happen.

paulr

« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2008, 16:08:14 »
two words...Judge Judy.

hauser

« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2008, 01:19:44 »
Bob, I hope it all works out in your favor.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2008, 01:33:44 »
Hey Bob, given the scope of all the work you've done, if this is the biggest issue that has come up then you're doing great!

Good luck with the resolution, and we can't wait to see the finished beauty!

James Stern

« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2008, 07:00:29 »
Hi Bob,

I can see how it would be a burning issue for you.  Giving the quality of the work to date it's a pity when someone in the chain doesn't live up to their word.  Maybe you should show the body shop the thread that has been running on Pagoda Forums.  That might let your body shop get some kind of idea on how many people are following this thread.  They need to take ownership of what went wrong as well as what went well.  To quote waqas in the scheme of things it is a smaller set back.  You will overcome this issue as you have others.

You have a big fan club out here and we are rooting for you.

Jim