Author Topic: My First Mercedes 230SL Restoration.. Exciting!  (Read 56484 times)

jaymanek

Re: My First Mercedes 230SL Restoration.. Exciting!
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2010, 14:35:15 »
Looks good.. the blue car is obviosly photoshop...

My car is currently in the body shop having the side markers removed, bonnet aligned and front end repainted... Although im not sure how well the colour is going to match so could end up being a full respray soon!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2010, 15:17:34 »
Tosh-taking the car to the upholstery shop for a full strip down.  Only used one roll of tape ;)  If you do hit the lottery, send the car to me and I will dip and strip with a full nut, bolt and washer restoration.  Will put your car back together and deliver a concours finish in less than 6 months.  How is that for service?

But that would mean being without the car for 8 months (including the shipping). Not sure if I'd rather have the rust! ??? ::)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2010, 16:58:40 »
Super impressive work, fhernand! So, I gotta ask -- do you work side by side anyone who has experience repairing frame/sill rust on these cars? If I had a magic wand, I'd get that out of the way and then gladly hand you my car next! (and I am in Northern California!)...
James
63 230SL

IXLR8

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010, 18:26:48 »

How much does this paint job cost?

Joe

fmen3366

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 20:44:15 »
Nice work, Freddie. If you don't mind me asking, where in the SF bay area are you? I'd like to see the finished project if that's OK with you. I'll be sending a PM.

I live in the East Bay area.

Again, kudos to a real pro!

Andy

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 21:01:45 »
 another thing i noticed when they put my hood back on - more cardboard along the inner fenders and front panel - seems just right thickness to centre the hood and no paint damage. There a sod to get right without catching something.  ;)

Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

fhernand

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2010, 01:26:35 »
Thanks guys for the nice compliments.  It's coming together nicely.  Now, if I can put back together with out a scratch, I will be thrilled.

Andy, I live in Martinez. You are welcome to see the car.  I can be reached at idoporsche@sbcglobal.net

Joe, a properly done full down to metal paint job will go for 15-20K.  You get high grade materials, paint and craftsmanship.  I also include full documentation of the entire project.  It could be less depending on condition of car.

J. Huber, I can do some frame and sill rust work depending how extensive the damage.  Any thing too extensive, I have to turn it over to my journey man frame buddy.

jaymanek, best wishes on your car.  Have them spray out plenty of samples before spraying the car.  It works for me.

fhernand

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2010, 01:11:19 »
Here is another car that has been inspiring.  I don't think it is photoshop work.  Very clean and well put together...great car.

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2010, 07:53:10 »
Oddly enough - that exact photo is the desktop image on my Mac at the moment, I also have other photos taken in the same setting - an Austin Healey and an MGA, very skilled photographer!

1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

fhernand

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2010, 14:51:32 »
Ulf, will you provide me with the link to the photographer's website/name or other pictures of his work.  I can really appreciate his skills.  He took a great shot here with what I consider a perfect 3/4 angle of the car from a low point perspective.  I recently purchased my own camera Canon G11.  I have lot's to learn about shooting great car pictures.   I took a few shots this rare 1967 911S Porsche that I restored for a client in San Francisco.  Because I have a "thing" for trains, I found a perfect setting in my own home town.  Freddie

Surfer65sl

« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2010, 12:13:48 »
Freddy,

Excellent work!  Would you be kind enough to post the last completed photo of the Pagoda.

Cheers,

Matt

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:30 »
Think he is German - www.renestaud.com
But I'm sure you can find a photographer near you that will be able to do your great work justice :-)

Ulf
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

mpat

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2010, 05:04:10 »
I've been tracking Freddie's work on my car every day religously thanks to the forum and had the chance to see the car last week just before Freddie and I sent it off to have the interior work started. It's difficult to describe the attention to detail that Freddie has put into the work and how good the end result looks. Even in the fading sunlight last week the paintwork looked incredible and the lines of the car shone through, I'm thrilled that we'll have the car finished , hopefully, by the end of the month and we'll be able to drive it again, with a stunning new paint job and interior. When i bought the car it was an impulse based on a dream I've had for almost 20 years. I got lucky in that the car turned out to have almost no rust and is mechanically in great shape after a full engine rebuild a little over 5000km ago.
When Freddie and I met and I showed him the car it was like a meeting of minds, I'm thrilled to see the project come together and have no doubt that Freddie was without question the man for the job!...the only problem is that he now has me hooked on finding a 911 to restore as well, maybe in a couple of years...

fhernand

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2010, 04:31:23 »
Mark, thanks for your kind words.  It's been a real treat working on your classic car.  Looking forward to taking some final shots of the completed car.  I'm currently in Medford, Oregon for a few days and will get back to your car in a few days to check on the upholstry process....Freddie

fhernand

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2010, 03:14:56 »
I got back some of the chrome pieces this week.  Waiting for the car to come back from the upholstry shop to finish up the reassembly and do a finish car photo shoot. 

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2010, 07:50:08 »
We'll be waiting impatiently for those photos, if I had the money, my car would already be on its way to you in a freight container...

:-) Ulf
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

fhernand

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 02:08:22 »
Will one of you experts help me source the molding clips for the sides?  Where can I get these?  Thank you.  Freddie

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 08:49:02 »
I think you can get them from the classic center (Tom Hanson 949-598-4842)  I think they are reasonable in price.  Most clips are inexpensive and they will be the correct part.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49:30 »
Here is another car that has been inspiring.  I don't think it is photoshop work.  Very clean and well put together...great car.

Sill covers/Rocker covers are..... body coloured.... ;)
James L

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:54 »
Will one of you experts help me source the molding clips for the sides?  Where can I get these?  Thank you.  Freddie

Hi, Freddie,

This discussion answers all:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=2981.msg59287#msg59287

Naj
68 280SL

fhernand

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 14:27:45 »
Thank you for such good information. I will call for clips today.  I have the car back from the upholstry shop.  Starting to work on the install of the chrome.   

Richard116e

w113 what repair sections are available i am in the uk
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2010, 05:40:35 »
Hi

Also just got my first Pagoda and I am in the UK.  Please can some one advise on what repair sections are available for  the car.  Mainly underbody sections are needed?

Thanks Richard

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:41 »
Hi Richard, welcome

Pretty much all can be got. Try Mervyn at MB in Poole/Bournemouth classic parts. Or then add in the Dutch/German vedors off the vendor list in the Tech Manual or then try the US - K&K the obvious call

James L

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2010, 00:00:10 »
Hello Freddie,

Great looking car indeed.
BTW, where did you (or the shop) get that carpet? It looks to me to be Tufting carpet, not square weave - but I may be wrong here. What I love on your carpet is that it is colored two-tone - pepper-and-salt. That would be exactly what I need for my car (only in square weave).
Any idea on this?

Thank you so much for sharing with us this great work and effort

Best,
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

fhernand

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2010, 21:02:37 »
I am hoping that you experts can help me finding a diagram for the reassembly of door handle locks.  I want to document this process.  I did take some pictures for the reassebly but would like to file this information also.  Thanks, Freddie