W113 Pagoda SL Group > Research & Development

5 speed conversion

(1/5) > >>

ejm:
I have several getrag 265 overdrive gearboxes with kits to convert most 60s mercs. This includes the adaptor plates to the bell housing, drive coupling,  propshaft adaptor and speedo cable. All the gearboxes have been overhauled and had speedo drives fitted by All-gears.  http://www.all-gears.co.uk/gears.htm.  Although the boxes have rubber mountings each side, you will need to fabricate a mounting bar. Also the linkage from the gearstick needs to be shortened and joined to the BMW linkage (supplied). Ive put this convertion into my 280 SE cabrio and its made it a much better car to drive.  Two other members are converting pagodas at the moment.   

mkbull:
Hello Ed
Here are a couple of shots of a one in progress
I'll be working on the gearshift linkage over the next couple of weeks so will post more pictures for anyone interested.
I also have M130 manual flywheels if anyone is interested in changing from Auto to 5 speed. or from a 230 4 speed manual to a 280 5 speed
The engine in the picture came from a 280 Auto Sedan. The original engine in my car was a 230 manual and the flywheels are not interchangeable.[/img]

Mark

Some more pictures of progress

The shift linkage is now complete and seems to work well.
The engine/gearbox have been in and out of the car a couple of times to set everything up correctly.
I am having a little difficulty determining the exact tilt (fore and aft) of the engine and gearbox.
I know it slightly tilts rearwards from my archive of photographs I was able to get a good approximation of the angle.
I am considering mounting the original gearbox and mount to try and get the exact angle the engine should be sitting at.
If anyone knows of another way to set this angle please let me know

mkbull:
more shots

Garry:
Mark,
Am I seeing that right that you have transferred the hand brake from the left hand side of the transmission tunnel to the right?

Garry

mkbull:
Yes its on the right... I'm not going to win any originality prizes.
Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version