Author Topic: SS Exhaust in the UK  (Read 7513 times)

Khurram Darugar

SS Exhaust in the UK
« on: May 08, 2009, 23:45:56 »
Howdy,
         Just wondering if some of our UK members might want to share their SS exhaust experiences. 
Is there a preference here in the UK.
Sound is probably the most important factor for me.  ie sporty throaty sound being good  ;D
Thanks
Kay

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: SS Exhaust in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:42:25 »
Hi, Kay!

Have you looked into the Time-Valve SS system available in the U.S.?  It is fairly reasonably priced, and when they shipped mine a year or so ago it was very well protected for shipment.  The installation was pretty straightforward for the manifold-back system and the sound is a bit sportier than the standard system, which I like.  If you order one be sure to get the hardware kit and exhaust tips from them as well.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 12:07:49 »
Thanks Mike I know timevalve were preffered in the states but did'nt really think of getting one shipped over, thanks for the input.  I will give them a ring on Monday.
Kay

DB280

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 19:18:32 »
My car is fitted with a 'double S' stainless system inc the downpipes. This is the same system that Silver Arrows fit to their restored pagodas although they use the original downpipes.Its lovely quality and sounds good. 

kayemoxon

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 15:30:41 »
I live near Cardiff in Wales UK and I am one of the small number of lady w113 drivers on this forum My car is a 1967 250sl I have recently had a top quality (T304 spec) s/s system fitted to the car by my local Longlife Exhaust Centre. I think if you google Longlife you can see where the locations are in uk. Longlife say they can custom make a s/s system for any car and certainly did a great job for me. One of three exhaust notes can be chosen before fitting ranging from standard (similar to original) or full sport(which borders on illegal!). I chose the standard and I am very pleased with the sound.

The new system is built to your existing pattern. My old system had a welded join direct to the downpipes (not unusual to find on W113's I understand!). I retained my original downpipes which were fine and we agreed they would build the new system from the point where they cut off the old system. All this was discussed at quotation stage.

Although it may have be possible to sleeve and clamp the new system on, they suggested welding on as previous setup. This is because the two pipes run very close together and there would be a possible danger of contact vibration between the front pipe clamps. The centre box and back mufflers look similar to the original in size and shape and they managed to re-create the outlet pipes as original with the rolled ends (the overall cost, which includes all new hanger fittings etc and labour was very competitive and certainly much cheaper than buying a OEM mild steel system. The Longlife website has a form for you to apply for a quote.
Good luck, Kaye
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 17:45:00 by kayemoxon »

rob walker

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 19:22:24 »
Kay, I bought mine from SLS. Fitting is easy mine was not welded up just clamped, no vibrations at all and the sound is great.

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 20:19:14 »
Thanks everyone for you're input.  Good to know there is a nice variety of SS options this side of the pond. 
Juries still out on this one, I'll update the thread when ive come to a conclusion ???  I still have a couple of weeks to make a decision on this.
Cheers
Kay