Author Topic: Vin number look up  (Read 1103 times)

hlsr123

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Templeton
Vin number look up
« on: November 20, 2023, 23:18:25 »
I am new to this site. I have tried to look up a vin number for a 1970 for a vehicle I am looking at that only has 14 digits. All the look up websites I have tried do not work. They say they cannot find that number. Can someone let me know what else I can try or what the problem might be?

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: Vin number look up
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 23:53:04 »
What information are you trying to look up with the vin exactly?

Carfax for example is only for vehicles 1981 and newer when a 17 digit vin was standardized.
1969 280SL

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 00:25:10 »
I faintly remember that California used to play weird games with the VIN number of the W113. But all W113 VINs have 14 digits. What are you looking for?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 08:26:42 »
If you’re hoping that the VIN checker will tell you how the car was optioned from the factory, it wouldn’t.
Your VIN will tell you model (113), variant (230,250,280), what side the steering wheel is on, auto or manual (no, not even if it’s a 5speed) and the number of the chassis.
You can get a little more info off the chassis plate stamp in front of your brake booster in the engine bay (eg original colour)
For everything else you need your data card.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 13:37:13 »
And you can only get the data card with proof of ownership.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

hlsr123

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Templeton
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 18:00:00 »
Thank you to everyone for the responses to my question about the Vin number look up.
I did think I could get ownership history from the Vin number but that sounds like that is not the case. I was looking at a vehicle and was hoping to do a bit of research. Thank you for the help.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 18:12:08 »
No worries, in the age of that sort of history at the end of a few keystrokes, it is a little disconcerting to find that older vehicles are not covered. And there’s a few members who’d love to know/track the family history of their car but that’s nigh on impossible.

My car has a number of prior owners (in the UK) and I only have some of their names as they kept receipts for servicing work etc. Otherwise, no chance.

However, ask away and if you want help looking at a car, there’s eyes here that can spot all manner of things (good and bad) from pictures.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 18:25:12 »
In some States you can do a "title search" with the VIN number, which may give you some info. CA maybe not.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Pawel Sz

• Junior Level
  • Poland, Masovian Voivodeship, Warszawa
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 21:31:47 »
Dear enhusiasts, I am looking to buy Pagoda after restoration. The VIN number of the car is available. According to the seller ths is EU car version. I am wodndering as this 1969 model is eqquiped with Air Conditioning (original) and is manual version.
Is anywan able to help me to verify this?
The car's engine number is 130.983.10 - which correctly corresponds to a Manual (10) 2.8 liter (130.983) car.
As for the VIN it 113.044.10. Which correctly states the car is a W113 (113) sub model 280 SL (044), left hand drive (1) with a manual gearbox (0)

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 23:06:31 »
Dear enhusiasts, I am looking to buy Pagoda after restoration. The VIN number of the car is available. According to the seller ths is EU car version. I am wodndering as this 1969 model is eqquiped with Air Conditioning (original) and is manual version.
Is anywan able to help me to verify this?
The car's engine number is 130.983.10 - which correctly corresponds to a Manual (10) 2.8 liter (130.983) car.
As for the VIN it 113.044.10. Which correctly states the car is a W113 (113) sub model 280 SL (044), left hand drive (1) with a manual gearbox (0)

Vin will not tell you if it was originally equipped with AC. AC units were installed by dealers, not factory installed.
1969 280SL

Pawel Sz

• Junior Level
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 00:43:24 »
Thank you so much, I found this information just a moment ago. Stil wondering if such extra equipment was available in Europe in 1969. According to the seller it was in Germany till 1986 and then purchased in Portugal. Manual gearbox and AC is not an obvious combinantion. At least if the car was made for US. But thank you for help if you know how to decode the car history. It is not chaep... Pawel

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 00:54:11 »
Pawel,

If A/C units were a factory option, and if you could get hold of the data card, you could find out the answer to your question.  However, since A/C was dealer-installed, I don't believe there's any way you could verify whether the car was originally sold with it.  (Obviously, it would not have left the factory with it.)

I believe that A/C was less popular in Europe than in the US, and as you said, A/C and manual transmission may not be a common pairing.  So, it feels less likely it was sold with A/C, but certainly not impossible.  In any case, since A/C isn't a factory option anyway, having A/C now shouldn't affect the "originality" of the car either way (IMHO).

-David
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 05:58:46 »
Pawel, the country for which the car was manufactured is coded on the paint code plate - it is the one screwed to the relay bracket.

Best if the current owner can arrange for a data card.

I would not speculate too much about how likely it is that the car had factory manual and AC combination. AC was a factory option since 1970, I do not know if you could order it for Europe before, but if it was installed later, that is fine, it does not hamper originality.

If you are thinking seriously of buying a Pagoda, it is best to become a Full Member here - for a small fee you will get access to all necessary information for being a Pagoda owner and more.

By the way: I am also Pawel Sz, live near Warsaw :).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 06:46:28 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel Sz

• Junior Level
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2024, 11:15:11 »
Nice to know there are more Pawel Sz nearby Warsaw :) The car is in Portugal, I am going there on Friday to see it and sign eventually the contract,
Full restoration so I hope to be in Konstancin soon driving it. Seems there is nothing like that on the car body. The only plate I got from the seller is attached. Seems this is not informative:( I will be glad to speak Polish with Mr Pawel SZ. My phone 608336930, keen to hear about Polish Pagoda club if such organisation is open for new mambers. Thank you for your message !

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 15:21:06 »
Pawel, this is exactly the plate I was talking about. You have to be a Full member to decode it (information in Technical Manual where the decoding is available is reserved for Full Members only). Consider becoming a Full Member, it is really worth it. Buyer's guide is also there.

The plate is riveted in a place where it should not be riveted. It belongs to a different location. In the location shown there should be a different plate. That does not mean anything other than someone did not know where to fix those plates. The key is VIN number stamped under the air intake pipe on the longitudinal frame member - this is important.

The type of pad used suggests that the restoration took place long time ago or someone did not know or did not care particularly to apply correct pad type.

I do not know how familiar you are with cars and assessing their condition. If you are not too much into it yourself, bring an expert with you. Normally the biggest concern is rust. With restored car the biggest concern is hidden rust.

I can see from the plate the color of this car is the same as mine - 180G, silver grey metallic.

I am a Member of two clubs in Poland: KZM (Klub Zabytkowych Mercedesów) and Pagoda SL Club - a very active one, I will give you contact details.

I strongly encourage you to go on Pagoda adventure - lot's of fun!
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class