Author Topic: W113 Headrest Question  (Read 3098 times)

Ostkurve

W113 Headrest Question
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:13:35 »
I was wondering why the manufacturers of W113 reupholstery kits do not offer headrests with the original ventilation holes( if in fact that was their intended purpose) on the side of the headrests?

The kits that I have seen offer the later style headrest covers supplied with the R/W 107 chasis. Unlike the originals pictured below.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: W113 Headrest Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:18:05 »
Ostkurve,

(BTW what is your real name?), The headreast you show are the original ones.
The side holes are not for ventilation purposes but to reach the M6 Schluesselweite (s= pan width) 10 bolt which loosens & tightens the adjustment of the headrests with regard to their legs.
There are many later styles of these "ear-type headrests" around. However, only the 1968-1972 W108/W115 style is correct.
Later (from 04/1972 on to be exact) these were changed into a more rectangular shape of the W116/W107/late W115 which will work but are no longer original four our W113s.

If you hunt for a new interior set you need to make the shop (i.e. GAHH) clear that you have the original shaped headrests.
The hole itself is no problem since it can be cut/stamped in with a correct hollow punch.

Best,
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: W113 Headrest Question
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 12:23:22 »
BTW,

Personally I would never change such a beautiful only slightly patinated original MB-Tex/DB Tufting carpet combination by this aftermarket stuff - only to have leather or something "looks-like-new" stuff in the car.
My recommendation: always go with the original (if possible) - it's authentic and it better keeps the value of your car.
OK sorry, I know, there are others here who will certainly disagree ...

And ah no, my 1964 leather seat covers are totally rotten; those definitely _need_ to get replaced...

Achim

Achim
(Germany)