Author Topic: Centre top latch, back  (Read 3068 times)

auret

Centre top latch, back
« on: June 11, 2008, 23:56:25 »
The centre top latch at the back of the car above the soft top hatch is not funtioning correctly. The soft top catch pulls out of it when tightened in the front on top of the windscreen. It appears that the hook on the soft top and the catch in the latch do not line up completely and it slips off when any tension is applied. Has anybody had a similar problem? Any advice about repairing?

Auret van Heerden
1957 190sl(under restoration)
1970 280sl

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Centre top latch, back
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 03:09:45 »
In case the top hook might not be fully seated in the catch box: the center box can be adjusted up and down by loosening the four bolts holding the box to the comparment wall...maybe an upward move would allow the top hook to fit more securely.

This won't help a side-to-side alignment problem.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Bob G

Re: Centre top latch, back
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 23:31:30 »
Auret:
I have the same problem. My soft  top is the orginal German material and I was told to latch it only at the rear. wet the top with a spong and water and place some weight on the front header with out fasting the two front locks.
I checked the lock box inside the horse shoe and it it as far up as it  it going to get. The German canvas material shinks when not used for long peroides of time. So if you can park your car  in a garage and follow these instructions. The soft top will stretch over a couple of days and you should be able to lock it in place front and rear.
I am doing the samefor my 1968 280SL.
Bob Geco
member #15
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 23:32:52 by Bob G »