Author Topic: cowl air vent rubber seal  (Read 3164 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
cowl air vent rubber seal
« on: August 09, 2008, 19:03:41 »
when replacing the cowl vent rubber seal , is it glued on , or does it just slip on? -Mine was the original , and I had to practically scap it off. I ordered a new one from buds. I also ordered the new vent filter at a whopping $45.00-does it slip over 3 brackets I saw in there?
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: cowl air vent rubber seal
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:33:14 »
On the filter...

I think it fits best frame side up, and is wedged between the brackets and the structure of the cowl box at an angle of about 30 degrees off horizontal (forwards up)

I too scraped off the old rubber and when refitting it struggled big time as one side is face up and the other face-down.  However, once I had fitted it onto the frame, I dabbed a bit of glue in some key places: corners, swap over points etc. Mine seemed to fit well enough but I figured why risk it coming off.

While there, you may also want to degrease/clean all the mechanisms for the cowl and heater that you find in there. A clean and some new lube made a difference to the workings of my heater levers

The following thread has some pictures that I found useful http://index.php?topic=5921
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:37:53 by Tosh »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather