Author Topic: Hat Stand (Hardtop Stand )  (Read 6025 times)

knockmacool

Hat Stand (Hardtop Stand )
« on: January 25, 2009, 17:38:50 »
I intend to build a wooden double L stand for my 230SL's hardtop. Will cover with suitable foam/material but wondered about the wisdom of resting top on its window bottom edge. Thoughts, suggestions welcome
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:19:23 by 280SL71 »

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Hat Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 17:54:51 »
The hardtop is very often stored with the rear glass at the bottom.

In fact, there are many stands already available that store the top like that, as shown here from SLS :

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

knockmacool

Re: Hat Stand
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 20:21:32 »
Many thanks, did also see very clever wall mounted solutions in another part of the forum so may try that

gdpmv152

Re: Hat Stand (Hardtop Stand )
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 23:35:06 »
I bought a stand off of EBay and it works very well. I thought of building one too but for a little over 100$ the metal one works awesome. It has wheels and is great for moving the top around in the garage.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:20:06 »
Has anyone ever tried these folding hardtop stands available in the UK ?  I do like the idea of being able to put it in the trunk for longer road-trips and then popping off the hardtop at the destination...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-SL107-SL-107-CONVERTIBLE-HARDTOP-STAND_W0QQitemZ110347963528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item110347963528&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

knockmacool

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:40:09 »
I'd be happy to experiment... can't imagine what the mother-in-law will say to a hardtop in her front room next time we visit!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 18:51:05 »
Has anyone ever tried these folding hardtop stands available in the UK ?  I do like the idea of being able to put it in the trunk for longer road-trips and then popping off the hardtop at the destination...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-SL107-SL-107-CONVERTIBLE-HARDTOP-STAND_W0QQitemZ110347963528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item110347963528&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177
I've never seen that before but I think it's a very clever idea. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

knockmacool

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 17:20:26 »

Ordered 2/09 arrived 2/12. Well packaged, light and fully assembled, strap already attached. Once hardtop was in place was stable and plastic wheels worked well on rough concrete surface However...

1. Folding mechanism mounted on inside of L shape means clearance between hardtop and bolt at apex of mechanism is barely 1mm (managed to slide my credit card thru). 2. The two horizontal arms (legs?) on which the rear edge of hardtop rests are finished with a soft rubber bicycle hand-grip, one of which has now torn. Also, there is no lip to secure the hardtop, only the handgrip grooves.

From the picture, the first problem doesn't look to be an issue for R107 hardtops as the slope of the roof gives better clearance, but (2) is a quality issue. Can't make up my mind whether to return it or not; if I reinstall the folding mechanism on the outside of the L I should get more clearance, and I might find some better bicycle hand grips...

In the process of getting my garage built, so NAB647D still out in the cowshed with hardtop firmly on!

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 17:52:35 »
Can't make up my mind whether to return it or not; if I reinstall the folding mechanism on the outside of the L I should get more clearance, and I might find some better bicycle hand grips...

Thanks for the quick review, and sorry about the poor quality.

If you do end up keeping it, don't use the one-piece bicycle hand-grips (they will eventually slide off). One trick I used on my old hardtop stand was to cut a tyre tube (bicycle or other) and tightly wrap it around the area (like a bicycle hand-grip wrapping tape) until the padding is thick enough. This will be less likely to slide off.
Also, you can use velcro tape to place a piece of foam or rubber padding near the apex where the clearance is so low.