Author Topic: Becker Europa TR - Year?  (Read 732 times)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Becker Europa TR - Year?
« on: February 04, 2024, 18:07:33 »
Trying to figure out a few things for the Radio for my car.  Previous owner had a Modern Radio installed in the 80's.  So I purchased a Becker Europa TR.  Quick Background... I bought the radio from a guy in LA that I had purchased some other pieces.  He has been very helpful and brought this radio one of the times we met up.  He did not say it was Exactly for my 66 230 but that it was of the era and used in Pagodas.

Deep diving last night and this morning and reviewing tons of posts... It would seem to me that this Radio would not have been an option for my 66 because it would appear to be manufacturing started in 68/69 (from lists on the RadioMuseum site). But there is also a fuzzy picture of something they have listed as 66 but tough to tell and seems more like the 68/69.

So I understand that many of these cars came without a Radio and was added at the dealer or later.  So I could possibly justify that the original owner bought this radio a year later.  But it could never have been factory.  I am working on getting my Data Card.  Hopefully that shows if there was a radio installed at the factory?

I will never actually use the Radio.  But I want it to work.  Is it worth selling this and finding a 66 version?

Also I wanted to fire it up and make sure it works.  Can anyone confirm my wiring before I do something wrong and blow it up.

(Side note, guy I bought it from gave me a crazy deal which is why I took it even though I was not sure.  So cleaned up I could easily probably sell for double... just not sure how exact these radios are for these cars, not that I will be showing the car but I also trying to stay as close to original as I possibly can.)

I know long post... So the questions...

1)Am I right about the year of my radio being 68/69 or later
2)Should I trying and find a 66?
3)Do I have the wiring correct?
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
Re: Becker Europa TR - Year?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 19:06:39 »
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 21:44:30 »
The 230SL radios have smaller knobs than the later cars, have a look at the difference on here

https://www.chromelondon.com/audio-for-mercedes-benz-d80a0nproducts55curpage-2-55-c.asp

With regard to the wiring on your radio, i can't quite see from the pictures the connections, but the AMP will have the DIN plug lead from the radio plus a ground cable from the radio, with the spade end, plus the speaker output/s

The radio obviously needs a 12V+, not sure from the picture where that connects to, a ground, again i can't see the connection point from the pictures, and an aerial connection

Can you please post a picture of the front of the radio?
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 22:44:57 »
You could always just buy the smaller radio knobs rather than the whole radio.

https://vintageeuroparts.com/product/early-becker-europa-tg-classic-radio-knob-new-for-vintage-mercedes-benz-vw/
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 23:51:48 »
Just measure the case size of the radio and then check our wiki. It does have quite a lot of information, including dashboard opening sizes.  That will tell you if it is an early radio. 

Just because you have a face plate with a model type doesn't mean that's the actual type.  Maybe you could send your pics to Becker and they could identify you radio.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 00:07:48 »
Thanks guys.  Yes read thru that Tech Manual post.  I just wanted to confirm a few things.  Especially the Power thing so I dont fry it being an idiot.  But..  Sorry the front of the radio was in the first pic but too small so here is a Repost and just a Repost of the power clarification
Aaron

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 04:30:06 »
Those are correct early knobs, but many things can be changed.  Just to make sure it fits, measure the radio and your dash opening.

Sorry, wish I could help with the wiring.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 13:05:06 »
Yes, the connections are correct, looks like you need to screw a bolt and washer into the ground connection for the ground wire
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 17:40:22 »
Wow so Becker just got back to me.  From the numbers on the back they say it is a 1966 Radio.  They think it might just have the wrong faceplate on it.  They also confirmed the power cables but sadly when I connected them nothing happened.  So I have some questions for the seller!  So the mystery continues!