Author Topic: There and Back Again...  (Read 7735 times)

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
There and Back Again...
« on: August 01, 2005, 23:52:36 »
(...with apologies to Bilbo Baggins)

I am on the road back to California after the Tech Session, and I want to thank everyone for a great event, as well as to thank some folks in particular.  (I'm not even going to try to thank everyone for the general Tech Session; that's been done elsewhere, and I heartily concur, but I don't want to be too repetitive.)

Where to start with my personal thanks?  Joe, of course.

Besides hosting the Tech Session, Joe did the following things to my car prior to my return trip (most of these as part of the group session late Sunday):
- Adjusted the throttle linkages
- Adjusted the mixture on the FI pump
- Adjusted the valves
- Diagnosed a malfunctioning cold start relay
- Checked fuel pressure and flow
- Checked spark plug wire resistence
- Replaced spark plugs
- Set points (using dwell meter)
- Adjusted the gas pedal travel (it was too short)
- Changed the oil & filter (and found a missing lower seal in oil filter canister)
- Lubed chassis
- Checked the drive shaft flex coupling
- Checked and filled the differential
- Test drove the car
- and probably a few other things I've forgotten.  

I have to say that it felt like a new car after all of this: really smooth and quiet, and I hit 160 (kph) without trying, just passing a car while leaving Columbus.  Wow!  Thanks, Joe!  (Now I have to be even more careful not to get a speeding ticket.)

Thanks to Michael Salemi for educating me on horns, looking for correct parts for my car with Paul Hackman, and even properly cleaning my windshield before I started home.

Thanks to Tomas (from the Dominican Republic) for being Joe's assistant on my car during the tune-up.

Thanks to Rodd for lubing my car's doors (as well as hosting the cookout and that kind of non-technical stuff!).

Thanks to Jim Villers for bring me a cruise control to put in for the trip back.  (Tom, I'm sorry we didn't manage the parking lot at midnight - I had too much beer at Rodd's :)

I'm sure I've forgotten someone, so I apologize in advance.  There were so many folks helping out that I couldn't keep track.

I did a little over 500 miles today after leaving Joe's, and am in St. Louis.  I really wanted a photo of my car crossing the Mississippi, with the Arch in the background, but I'm afraid I would have been killed trying to take it.  Rats!

I'll post progress as I have connectivity.  I guess now it's "California or Bust!".

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 23:55:35 by DavidAPease »
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Dick M

Re: There and Back Again...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 00:00:56 »
Take lots of pictures....
I tell all my friends about the crazy guy who is driving across country on Hyw 50 in the hotest time of the year...hope you've got your canvas water bag tied to the rear bumper.... good luck.

Dick M
1970 280SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 21:42:12 »
Hello,
Here is a picture of Dave and the Pagoda just before departure from Ohio.

Download Attachment: David Pease Deaparture.JPG
60.26 KB

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 21:45:29 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 22:20:16 »
A quick update:  

Just under 500 miles on US 50 today, for a total of almost exactly 1,000 miles since leaving Blacklick.  I'm in Hutchinson, Kansas tonight, and should be in the Colorado rockies tomorrow (where I hope it will be a bit cooler).  Highway 50 through Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri is a lovely road for top-down cruising.  In Kansas, it is filled with trucks, and is not nearly as fun to drive in an open car.  

So far, the car is doing great (perhaps better than I am in the heat!).  The weather forecast is showing a chance of thunderstorms in the rockies.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 20:28:26 »
Another update:

I am in Utah, near the Nevada border, only a long day's drive from California.  

So far the car has been perfect, with one exception which I've yet to diagnose: It may be a fuel delivery problem, but it's only shown up once, yesterday, and when I got ready to try to identify it, it was gone.  I'll go through everything thoroughly when I get home.

Here is today's "Photo of the day":

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/davidapease/20058422656_POTD.JPG

Oh, the sign?  

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/davidapease/20058422743_Sign.JPG

In third gear the car walked up the mountainside quite easily at about 50 MPH, with no sign of "altitude sickness".

Here's a little geography quiz:  Last evening I was driving at about 6700 feet elevation into the Colorado Rockies, along this river.  It is a very well-known river, and I was quite surprised to find it in Colorado.  (No looking in an atlas!)  I was on the eastern side of the continental divide, and the photo is only for entertainment - it doesn't provide any help with the answer.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/davidapease/20058422816_River.JPG

The top is up because I've just been through a torrential downpour from a thunderstorm further east.  There are a lot more in front of me.  Today I drove through several small ones with the top down.  Well, if you go fast enough, you don't get very wet, and if you stop to put the top up, you get soaked.

Finally, I always feel like I'm almost home when I reach the red rock country of Utah.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/davidapease/2005842299_RedRock.JPG

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 23:01:59 »
Well it looks like it's cooler where you are now. Absolutely great photos, we are enjoying makikng the trip with you (especially from behind our safe desks). What was with the fuel delivery, some hesitation? Anyway good luck with the downpours.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 05:20:36 »
Thanks for keeping us all posted. And I agree with Cees, great shots!

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 06:27:30 »
David .... I suspect that is the Arkansas River.  Here is a picture of Betty and I with Robby and Susan Ackerman on the Arkansas River in 2001. http://www.190slgroup.com/pic_stry/2001/lead_pics/images/w_water.jpg

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 07:14:02 »
Jim,

Great photo, and you are quite right.  I guess it makes sense that many of the east's rivers start in the rockies, but I've always pictured the Arkansas river starting somewhere further east (nearer Arkansas :).  I was quite surprised to drive along it through western Kansas and way up into the mountains in Colorado.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 07:28:00 by DavidAPease »
-David Pease

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 07:21:03 »
David,
Great pictures of your trip.
Are you by an chance keeping a log of the mileage and gas consumption?
Keep the pictures flowing.
Walter
1967 230SL-diesel
1963 230SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 18:38:40 »
Hi, all,

I crossed Nevada yesterday, and made such good time that I just continued on into California.  I needed to stop in Chico for a little personal business, so I'm not quite home yet (though I'm only about 3 hours away, and will get home tonight).  Here's what will probably be my final photo for this thread:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/davidapease/200586203158_LonelyRoad.JPG

For those of you who haven't driven US50 across Nevada, I highly recommend it.  Very pretty (western high desert and forest) scenery, and not much traffic.

Cees: I'll post details of my (supposed) fuel problem when I have more time.

Walter: Yes, I'll post some mileage (travelled and gas) figures when I get home and tabulate them.  (Engineers just can't resist statistics, can they?)

Thanks everyone for your interest in and support for my trip.  Perhaps I'll attempt a Pagoda World article on it.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 19:57:28 »
Spectacular photo Mr. Pease! It would make a lovely cover story.

Nevada 50 never looked better. It should be August in next year's Pagoda World Calendar!   ;)  8)

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 10:35:28 »
David,
Sure take your time.
My gas to diesel conversion in a 1968 280SEL with a 1982 300CD motor and automatic gave me a big boost in the mileage ranging from 28-35 mpg depending on the driving.
I figure the 1967 230SL with a 1985 190D 2.2L and a 5 speed will get me 30-35 mpg.  I will play with the ratio on the rear end for a better figure, currently the original 4.08, but have a 3.75 on hand.
Thanks and be safe on your trip.
Walter

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 14:59:54 »
Hi, everyone,

For those who are interested, here's a final "recap" of my trip:

I got home Saturday night, as planned.  This is a map of my final route (I hope the resolution is good enough to see well):

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/davidapease/200589161812_TripMap.jpg

The route started and ended at the red circle (downtown Redwood Estates, CA).  Each night's stop is a yellow dot, with the first being in northern Nevada and then clockwise until the final stop near Chico California.  Overall, the trip included 15 states (in 15 days).

For those interested in statistics, here are some more:

Trip out distance:  2952 miles
Around Blacklick:    133 miles
Trip back distance: 2881 miles
TRIP TOTAL:         5965 miles

The total amount of gas used (for 5899 miles) was about 322 gallons, for an overall MPG of 18.3.  Ignoring the obvious anomalies, the low gas mileage reading was about around 16 MPG, the highest a little over 20.  Overall, considering the speeds at which I drove much of the time and the mountains we climbed, I consider this quite a respectable average.

The lowest elevation was about 20 feet (Fremont, CA), and the highest was about 11,300 (Monarch Pass in the Rockies).  We had another pass over 9,000 feet, and so many over 7,000 that I lost count.

On one day of the trip out and one day of the trip back, both VERY hot and under heavy load, I had a short period of fuel delivery problems.  I will start a separate thread to discuss this.  In any case, it did not affect my progress.

Except for that problem, I didn't have any mechanical issues, not even adding air, coolant, or oil.  (Joe did discover that my differential was low on fluid due to a leaky pinion seal, but that was not trip-related.)  The only apparent result of the trip on the car is a lot of paint nicks from rocks, especially through road construction in Yellowstone.  (Speaking of road construction, the sign "Road Work Ahead" became a dreaded sight; the sign "End Road Work" was always a lie. :)

If I had one overall impression of the car on the trip, it would be its capableness (yes, that really is a word).  We (my friend Michael, the car, and I) drove through sun and rain, day and night, low and high elevations, mild and HOT weather, and the car handled it all well.  Wipers, heater, vents, soft top, seats, and lighting, as well as the drive train itself, all did their job very well.  I never felt like I was in a outmoded vehicle.

I can't count the number of times I heard "Nice car!" on the trip, often from young people.  Interestingly, except for Tech Session attendees, I never saw another Pagoda.

I guess that's it.  It was a great trip in every way.  The drive was enjoyable (if sometimes long and hot), and the Tech Session was terrific.  Would I do it again in two years?  I don't know - perhaps if several cars went.  Can we hold it in the spring or fall when it's cooler?

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 15:01:27 by DavidAPease »
-David Pease

Douglas

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 16:12:17 »
Great statistics and real testament to the engineering of these cars. All in all, these are still some of the best driving cars of the era.

So what kind of speeds did you typically travel at when it was long and flat and what was the top speed you hit over all those miles, David?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Dick M

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 17:09:04 »
Welcome home...
I can hardly wait to hear the whole story....

Dick M
1970 280SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 08:48:26 »
Doug: I seemed to settle into about 130-140 KPH (on my speedo) while cruising; My GPS read this as around 75-80 MPH.  I hit 160 KPH a couple of times (and I backed off before the car showed any signs of complaint - it felt quite solid).  I did manage the whole trip with no speeding tickets.

Dick: I've been talking with Susan about another trip to Nevada City to say Hello!

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 09:18:56 »
I thought my car had a busy couple of weeks. Nothing compared to that trip! Well done car and drivers.

We got almost exactly the same mpg though (your gallons are smaller than mine (US gallon = 0.8237 imperial))
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Dick M

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 15:11:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAPease

Dick: I've been talking with Susan about another trip to Nevada City to say Hello!

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL

Plan on coming up for an overnight.. We can get a couple of the other Pagodas together at our place.

Dick M
1970 280SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 16:36:04 »
Dick,

That's a deal.  I owe James H. a couple of knobs.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease