Author Topic: Featured Car  (Read 8106 times)

KevinC

Featured Car
« on: March 02, 2008, 17:44:20 »
When I first submitted my story for the "Featured Car", I didn't think it would hang in there for two years. I would bet its a bunch of work to change to another's vehicle, but I am all for giving someone else a turn.

Maybe Bob Possel's restoration?

http://picasaweb.google.com/mercedes280sl

Kevin Caputo
Hampden, MA
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Featured Car
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:34:28 »
Kevin...

Neither did I.

I've tried to get others to contribute a story and some photographs to become featured car... but to no avail. I've received nothing.

If someone would like to have their car featured, just mail me your story and car's details, and some high quality photographs, and I'll create a new page.

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 17:18:28 »
How about a few pics of a rotten basket case - like mine before it was dumped....?
Probably too offending to many of us ...
 :evil:  :(

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 17:53:18 »
I think it is hard for someone to nominate them self!  I love my car but couldn't imagine doing it....others may be different.  

There are so many cars in this club that I enjoy hearing about.  From mint ones to fixer uppers.  Part of what makes the car special to me is the owner and how much of his heart and soul went into restoring it and/or maintaining it over the years.

One person and his car comes to mind for me: Michael Salemi!  Michael's car is not only beautiful, but it has family history back to day one.  Then there's Michael.....probably one of the first to introduce himself...always going out of his way to help others (of course there are many who fill this role) and provides detailed advice.  It's the whole package!

I nominate Michael's 1969 280SL!

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 19:08:17 »
Second.

All in favor?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 19:09:47 »
JP Mose and others:

The "Featured Car" is not restricted to the "best" cars. It's a place where any car can be seen...including the warts and rust of not so perfect cars.

The bottom of the Feature Car page has always said "Any car can be featured whether a Beauty or a Work in Progress".

Please loosen up and send info and photos of your car...you can use the email link at the bottom of the Feature Page.

In fact if the dearth of Featured Cars continues, I'll be nominating my own current set of wheels for Feature Car...so if you want to keep my "Plain Beige" car away from the Feature Page, send info about your car...and we always expect the owner to "nominate" his/her own car. It's not a popularity contest.

We'd like to have enough cars nominated that we can change the Featured Car every month or so.

The Webmaster will Feature a car if the car info is complete enough and the photos are clear enough. The Webmaster does not pass judgment on Feature cars.

Richard M
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 19:11:58 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 19:15:03 »
Richard, points well-taken -- but are we onto something here by nominating someone. They then can decide -- and thus perhaps overcome any modesty that kept them from stepping up?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 19:27:57 »
Richard,

I agree whole heartedly!  Hence my statement:

"There are so many cars in this club that I enjoy hearing about. From mint ones to fixer uppers. Part of what makes the car special to me is the owner and how much of his heart and soul went into restoring it and/or maintaining it over the years."

OK...Michael's car happens to be a show stopper!  If it was just the car alone, I probably would have suggested another one because his is a typical red perfect SL.  But there is a lot of history behind it and Michael has dedicated years of his personal time and devotion to his car (and has a sincere interest in the Mercedes club and it's fans).  

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:29:55 »
I nominate Dr Benz (Dan).
He is a major contributor to our forum and I would love to see his 'Red Rocket'.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:10:28 »
Better still, take the feature out of the virtual world and make it a regular in Pagoda World... :D
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

nick350

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 11:35:17 »
I think someone like Kemal's car because it is an ordinary car that is being used in a big City and is Left hand drive and not all are restoration jobs. I would be happy to hear his story, however short.

KevinC

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 20:57:51 »
So at least we have established that I'm not modest  8) . This said, still like Bob's car due to the fact that the restoration is underway right now.

Kevin Caputo
Hampden, MA
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 09:00:16 »
Dear all,

It's hard to "nominate" someone who doesn't also "volunteer" his car and story. If the person does not collaborate, I have no info to post.

John Mancini has kindly "volunteered" to provide me with some info. Perhaps we could "Nominate" him first, and then work on convicing other "Nominees" to "volunteer" some information.

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:11:17 »
I nominate John Mancini! Can't wait to hear all about his car!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 14:01:08 »
I would love to volunteer,however, I feel I don't have nearly half the experience most of you have & mine has been with me for just a couple of years.

[Nick, Thank you for the mention. ]

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD 69

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 05:45:54 »
You don't need to be an expert.... just write a nice story about how you found and bought the car, what you've done with it since, what you'd like to do about it further, and send me high res pictures Kemal.

For one quite a few members might be interested in your detailed experiences with your Becker (installation, looks, sound quality, navigational prowess etc). I'll then prep it so that once John Mancini's pages have been around for a couple of months, I'll insert yours.

Peter

Bob G

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 05:44:40 »
I could write a story about my dads 280SL I still have .it is not a show stopper. I have a complete history and documentation real letters and envoices from the factory and many intresting artifacts. Plus any early picture I will treasure of my dad beeming with his new 280SL I took when I was 15 years old at out favirot San Degio get away. when dad was on business.
My older sister got the pleasure of being the first one in the family to drive the 280SL with my dad down to San Degio to meet us at the hotel.
I was the only other driver who learned to drive with my dads car. Then WELL barrowed the car when dad was out of town on business, but back then I did not have a clue what I was driving and how I would end up with it.
I wish I knew know what I did not know then.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:49:08 by Bob G »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 07:04:20 »
Same here Bob. Start collecting the info, High Resolution pictures and scanned letters etc, write the story and mail it to me. I'll put it up...

Peter

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 16:44:07 »
Dear all,

As you may have seen, I've posted John Mancini's really interesting car on the front page as the featured car. He has supplied me with lots of interesting material, including numerous original letters of the first owner to Mercedes-Benz, for his beautiful signal red 1968 280 SL.

For a quick look, go here: http://www.sl113.org/featured.asp

Everyone who has promised me stuff, please mail me it all (in high res quality) and I'll make sure John's Pagoda doesn't remain a featured car for more than 4 months!

Peter

KevinC

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 16:55:33 »
I am pleased to pass the baton!

quote:
Originally posted by vanesp

Dear all,

As you may have seen, I've posted John Mancini's really interesting car on the front page as the featured car. He has supplied me with lots of interesting material, including numerous original letters of the first owner to Mercedes-Benz, for his beautiful signal red 1968 280 SL.

For a quick look, go here: http://www.sl113.org/featured.asp

Everyone who has promised me stuff, please mail me it all (in high res quality) and I'll make sure John's Pagoda doesn't remain a featured car for more than 4 months!

Peter

Kevin Caputo
Hampden, MA
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

nick350

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 17:46:50 »
what about paulr or Tosh or Naj. I am interested in their cars especially paulr as he uses it so much. Come on guys.