Author Topic: Anyone want to use their M/B for Photo Shoot Miami  (Read 8892 times)

n/a

Anyone want to use their M/B for Photo Shoot Miami
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:34:17 »
Hi There,

I am from Cooper Film Cars, we are trying to locate a white Mercedes Benz convertible from 1966 - 1983 for a photo shoot in Miami.  This is for a very prestigious fashion designer's ad campaign which will be in several major Magazines. You will be paid for your time and the photographic use of your car and you will be fully insured.  It is a still shoot so the car will not be moving.  I f interested please email or call us for all the specific details. info@cooperclassiccars.com  212-929-3909 800-719-3909.  To find out more about this process please see below.
Thanks
Chris

Cooper Film Cars a division of the renowned Cooper Classics, Ltd in Manhattan. We provide vehicles for film, television, fashion shoots, magazines, and Special events.
 We are the oldest Company in the Business now in our 28th year! Our company is fully Licensed and Insured unlike others - beware!
We would like to invite all classic and current vehicles owners of your in the New York, New Jersey, Connecticut,  and Surrounding area to submit their vehicles(Cars, Buses, Pick up Trucks and Motorcycles) to our film car database. There is no charge to be listed with us.

Cooper Film Cars will act as an agent for your vehicle, placing it in fashion shoots, advertisements, films, commercials, and parades. We have the largest clientele and so we will submit your vehicle and if the client is interested in using your vehicle we will call you to go over the details of the shoot and see if you are interested and available. Your vehicle will be fully insured under our insurance and the clients. It will be treated with the utmost care and respect. A copy of our insurance and the client’s insurance binder will be available to you prior to any shoot. You are welcome to stay with your vehicle for the duration of the shoot to ensure that it is treated to your satisfaction. You will be paid for the rental and your time. Payment is determined by location of shoot, length of shoot, and use of your vehicle.

Additional benefits are increasing the vehicles provenance, value, tax write-offs, and seeing your vehicles in print or on film.

Go to http://www.cooperclassiccars.com and click on film cars to submit your vehicle.

Voted “BEST” in New York by “New York Magazine” and “Time Out New York”
Owner is the renowned host of ESPN’s T.V. Show “Legends of the Road”
If you know of any other individuals or clubs in the area that might be interested please pass this on.

For more info give us a call at 212-929-3909 or 1-800-719-3909 www.cooperclassiccars.com info@cooperclassiccars.com
Thank you,
Cooper Film Cars
Cooper Classics, Ltd

Douglas

Re: Anyone want to use their M/B for Photo Shoot Miami
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 13:52:25 »
quote:
Our company is fully Licensed and Insured unlike others - beware!

Beware, indeed.

Douglas Kim
Mahopac, NY

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:13:10 »
Loaning our cars is a big thing to ask.  Would you please post references with film agencies so that we can conduct some due diligence before we offer our cars?

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 08:35:09 »
I did this once when I lived out in LA and highly regreted it!  The car was not treated well.  Unless there is enough information to justify stong protection, I wouldn't even consider it.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 15:25:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cooperfilmcars

For more info give us a call at 212-929-3909 or 1-800-719-3909 www.cooperclassiccars.com info@cooperclassiccars.com
Tom,
I don't think that asking on this forum will help.  If you really want a response, you should probably contact them.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 18:58:53 »
Rodd,

I am not interested in loaning my car for movie or advertising shots.  But others may be interested, and by posting the request, hopefully the members of our group that are interested will receive references or at least perform more diligence on this company.

Thanks

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 03:29:43 »
Hi Guys,

I don't know about your insurance, but I'm sure my classic car company would not agree to cover me for such antics ("commercial" use), so please read the fine print and be *really* careful about any renting outfit that claims they can cover you... as we all know, insurance is only as good as the company's willingness to pay on a claim.

My Lord and Master watched screaming in helpless horror two weeks ago as a 74-year-old woman backed her Toyota into the front of his e-type (he was trapped, third in a line of 4 cars waiting to turn left across oncoming traffic).  She rear-ended the big Lexus in front of her and then calmly backed her car up, sloooooooooowly squeeeeeeeezing the front bumpers of the jag into its delicate nose.  Our race mechanic was quickly consulted and although it looked like no damage to her insurance company, we quickly documented over $2500.  She's lucky she didn't crack the mainframe.  Many phone calls and running around and inspections later, her obscure insurance company caved and sent a check for the full amount.  So it's not just the damage, it's the time and effort and hassle.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France

P.S.:  Wasn't that a Pink music video where she stomps across the hood of a beautiful old Merc??  Could be your Pagoda...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 05:47:18 by France »
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 11:31:02 »
Irented my right hand drive 1967 MGB to a film production company in Florida many years ago for use in a commerical.  They were referred to me by a friend near Pansacola who had a right hand drive MGB-GT that they had used before for other projects but couldn't use this time because it was not an open car.  My friend was pretty fussy about his cars and his referral was good enough for me.  The production company paid to air freight the car from Baltimore to Miami for the shoot and back, plus a reasonable rental fee per day.  While the car was in their possession someone managed to blow up the motor - I mean a hole the size of a football in the side of the block!  The car was returned to me in inoperable condition with a 5-main 70's era MIII junkyard motor installed in place of the special 3-main MKI competition motor that I had in it.  The motor didn't even mate up to my MkI transmission correctly, although they tried!  It took nearly nine months, a lawyer, and two court appearances to get them to pay to make whole my car.

Never again!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 12:39:38 »
Hello,

Just my 2 cents ...
It always depends what you want. If the money (rent) they pay is good enough and you believe you need it, it might be worth. If your car is average or (slightly) below, it might be worth too, if they're trustworthy. However, I would never-ever rent a car to them like Tom's low milage all-original-280 SL for no money in the world.

Finally, the reputation of the company may be as good as possible - but desperately do yourself one favour! Attend yourself during shooting and don't leave the car out of your eyes.

Good luck, and perhaps it doesn't bother you but my car is not going to the movies.

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 12:43:08 »
One more thought...,

For this kind of purposes there are usually enough (also classic-) car rental companies around who know how to protect their cars.

Cooper Film Cars should go and ask them.
Maybe Coopers is not willing because it's too expensive for them...

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:09:05 »
As a television producer who has used classic and antique cars in my productions, I have to speak up for the industry.  Just because there are mechanics whom you can't trust, not all are crooks.  

No one should take their car to a mechanic with a bad reputation, and no one should hire their car to anyone with a bad reputation.  Many of us would never let family members drive their cars, so those folks should not get involved.  If you feel your car is a trophy to be babied and never touched, and no one but you is good enough to touch it, leave it at that.  However, if you love the cars and enjoy sharing them with anyone who appreciates their beauty, then spreading the image to a wide audience can enhance the Pagoda mystique.

In my business, we rent people's homes, offices, and cars.  Here are a few tips for cars:  First, of course, ask for references. The company should provide you with a certificate of insurance with you listed as loss payee.  The certificate can mention the make & model and the dates.  You should have a contract that covers use, transport, storage, who gets to decide if the return condition is acceptable, and where and how any disagreements will be settled. Don't forget the part about when payment is made. Shoot a series of detailed photos all the way around and inside the car before delivery.

I always meet personally with the owner and share the script scenes in which the car will be used.  I always request that the owner be present during the shoot. This is so that they can rest assured that their car is cared for, and if for some reason the car won't start, they are more likely to be able to help.  If the car has to travel more than a couple of miles, I use a flatbed transport unless the owner wants to drive to the site. Every owner I have ever worked with has said they would be happy to do it again.  

This particular request is for a still photo shoot.  That is far easier on the car than moving pictures.  Quite simply, most of the time they are sitting still with two dozen light stands all around and a 30-foot silk scrim set up to soften the light from the sun.  They requested a car in the Miami area.  I wouldn't drive my car the 350 miles to Miami and back for a two day shoot.  If I did, I would require all the expenses and per diem.  That would probably be over their budget.  However, if they do a shoot near my home, I would certainly be open to sharing my dream car and getting paid for it.

IF the money and the protection are right, it can be a fun experience for all around.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

KevinC

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 16:47:11 »
I "rented" my 2001 Audi TT to the BBC for a TV shoot at Cape Canaveral. They handed me a certificate of insurance for $1M with my name and address printed on it and picked the car up on a flat bed, returning it 3 days later the same way...still have the tape of the show using MY car. I would NOT have allowed this with my 113, however.

Curiosity did get the best of me on the current request. I emailed and found out that its a print ad for Polo Ralph Lauren and the car is required for only four hours from 1pm to 5pm in the afternoon. Once parked, it will not be moved and I can stay for the entire shoot. I can speak with the producer ahead of time about what can/cannot touch the paint (preferably only bare skin  :twisted:  !!).

Apparently after seeing pix, PRL agreed that I had the car they were looking for. The shoot takes place this Sunday in Coral Gables (about 40 miles from home). They invited my wife and I to watch the shoot in progress and join the crew for lunch. I was promised copies of the ad when complete. I will have a contract and insurance form three days ahead of time to review.

We all have cars of varying levels of condition. Mine is not a concours car but its not an average driver either. This said, I thought owning one was about fun? Wait 'til I tell the folks back home about this one!

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 17:31:50 by KevinC »

Ed Cave

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 17:02:35 »
Kevin:

I'd say this is a good call on your part. Very little, if any risk from what you say here. When it comes time, if ever, to market your car, little things like that (a print ad for Ralph Lauren - a car hound himself) can help to set you apart from others. It helps to raise the ante on the character and prestiege of the car.

It is truly something to consider very carefully, however and in this case I say go for it.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 17:04:09 »
Kevin,

Good luck on you! And we'd all love to see your pictures!

If you get a high res digital photograph, and the rights to show it here (www.sl113.org) then please mail them to admin@sl113.org and I'll ensure they appear on the featured car page!

Peter

(ps: not too much skin  :twisted:  I hope for the young viewers out here... but some would be fine!)
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

KevinC

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 17:14:14 »
Peter,

I will certainly get back to the group on the outcome. Being Ralph Laren, I am certain that they have to wear SOME clothes as it would defeat the purpose, right?

Kevin

quote:
Originally posted by vanesp

Kevin,

Good luck on you! And we'd all love to see your pictures!

If you get a high res digital photograph, and the rights to show it here (www.sl113.org) then please mail them to admin@sl113.org and I'll ensure they appear on the featured car page!

Peter

(ps: not too much skin  :twisted:  I hope for the young viewers out here... but some would be fine!)

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Chad

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 17:39:29 »
It is about fun and enjoying them Kevin, whatever classic cars you have and in whatever condition.  I let most any responsible person and good driver I know drive and enjoy. Although somewhat troublesome with the old DB2. These conglomerations of metal may be artful, but they have neither soul nor life unless it be through active enjoyment... Mostly people don't like to hammer through my gearboxes thou which perpetually seem to be on their last double clutch.

Enjoy the shoot and a nice meal and wine with the paycheck and post some pics!!

(BTW, regarding the models not wearing clothes... perhaps nudity makes the implication of clothes and fashion by its absence - you never know what the next fashion ad campaign might try in your w113)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 17:44:20 by Chad »

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 18:09:29 »
Kevin,
      Nice one,  youre gonna have a sort-of celebrity pagoda now
Soon to be refered to KevinC's pagoda ....... the one from the RL add!!  Very cool.
 8)
Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 18:33:03 »
Kevin...it appears that you did your research and the outcome will be positive.  

HOWEVER, having lived in LA for several years, along with a long history of classic car ownership (and strong family ties to the film industry), I can reference several horror stories of loaning/renting/leasing cars to this industry.  It is not worth the risk usually!  Sadly, many people are impressed easily by pop culture, etc. and will fall for the bait w/o doing any homework.....I'd like to think that Pagoda owners are a bit savvier than that.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 09:56:43 »
I did a photo shoot last fall for a company that makes paving stones. Here is the picture that they placed in their brochure.

It was a still shoot. A couple hundered dollars for 15 min work was not bad. It was only 30 minutes from my home.

George

65 230SL, 4 speed,

Download Attachment: 65_benz.jpg
31.55 KB

KevinC

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 10:11:21 »
Plus...the model waxed it for you!  ;)

quote:
Originally posted by glcg123

I did a photo shoot last fall for a company that makes paving stones. Here is the picture that they placed in their brochure.

It was a still shoot. A couple hundered dollars for 15 min work was not bad. It was only 30 minutes from my home.

George

65 230SL, 4 speed,

Download Attachment: 65_benz.jpg
31.55 KB

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Chad

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 10:38:02 »
Or were you the actual model?

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 10:59:00 »
I was the model. I had to wear the driving cap so the light would not bounce off my bald head.

George

65 230Sl 4 speed

Chad

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 22:54:32 »
I see. . . I come from the school of rubbing on some sunscreen and letting the old noggin shine.