W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Fuel Tank Protection

<< < (3/3)

Wolfmann:
Sometimes SLS are (were given MB's recent refusal to continue supplying them) much cheaper than the MB Classic centre at Poole for some things, but on others genuine MB parts are actually cheaper. It is always worth comparing, don't assume SLS are always a better deal is my advice - I found out the hard way too.

Steven.

jaymanek:
Well the tank arrived within 48 hours, very impressed with SLS.. Just wish they would send out confirmation emails like every other online seller these days.

I gave it something like 8 coats of hammerite paint and then a good coat of protective wax.

However im not overly impressed with the tank after fitting.

1) the drain plug didnt fit right, the theads are way too loose on the tank... I had got a new plug from Mercedes, that just wouldnt fit. The old plug (& filter) were a better fit but I wasnt confident that the threads would hold so had to wrap the threads in plumbers tape... seems not to be leaking but i dont like it!

2) The filler neck is positioned slightly wrong, so getting the rubber gasket on was good fun... Had to drop the tank a little to fit it and then the top was too tight and the bottom too loose.

3) The chrome fuel cap is very difficult to get on... I managed to get it to turn with rubber gloves but to undo it I had no choice but to use some large plumbers grips with some rubber again. Very frustrated as I managed to mark the chrome even though I was very very careful.
A modern fuel cap would have fit no problem as they are spring loaded but the original one has very little give.

Overall im not that impressed and will be having a tank made or mine properly split and re lined... This one will have to do in the mean time.

If id have known that an original tank could be had for only 200EUR more than this one, I would have gone for that. I based my decision on the Uk price which is much more expensive than elsewhere in europe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version